Why are the Corps bashing?

I am still not sure I get what you are saying, or vice versa. I personally can use BD as my example. In MY Opinion, Yowza, was the WORST BD show EVER. I am not bashing them. They were incredible musicians that did extremely well with a show that I personally HATED. I never hated the corps, just that particular show, and have never been able to watch it again. I can and do watch their Godfather show many times over and see it as one of their best ( again, my subjective opinion ). So how is either statement seen as bashing or praising. Now in todays terms, I can say that the Colts did their best performance at their home show ( for this year ). In my opinion, they did. Is that ok to say, or am I just flat out wrong and a Colts honk? I am truly trying to understand your point.

You've made my point. In your OPINION it was the worst show ever because you did not "like" the show. Not because it was designed poorly, or executed poorly or even compared to someone else's show. That's ok. We all have our likes and dislikes. What I am trying to say is that some people review a certain corps show and then slam them using criteria they don't use on other corps. You don't have to like the shows I like and vice versa. And we are not talking about "performance" either. It's about people saying a show on the whole is bad or good based on their particular likes and dislikes with regard to design, instruction, etc and disregards the actual performance of the show by the kids at any competition. We have some on this forum that bash a corps show regardless if the kids performed the crap out of it. You said it best at the beginning of your post. "They did extremely well with a show...I personally hated". You did not "like" the show which is not the same as saying it was "bad" show or the worst ever. THAT is not bashing just a personal opinion which is great. Now which BD show did you think was the worst ever...1976?....wink wink, LOL.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now which BD show did you think was the worst ever...1976?....wink wink, LOL.
'90

I think all corps have sucky greatness ........ :huh:

Just depends on the year and which bonehead on staff pushed for that nutty idea to be put on the field. Name 1 corps that has NEVER had a show that was UBER crapola? And I don't mean performance ..... I mean the show design/concept/narrrrrrrrrration stuff.

Fact and subjective opinions are worlds apart. Not liking a particular corps flags, music, show theme cannot be factual - simply personal choice.

Ok, I'm kinda confused here. Are you saying that just because something can't be quantified as "fact" then it's only opinion and shouldn't be expressed because it might hurt someone's feelings?

Lest we all lose touch and start mistaking this place as the "real world", let's not forget that this is a discussion forum...and if we only discussed FACT, there would be about 10 threads and this would be a very very boring place.

If any of us here are sports fans also, then this thread makes even less sense. As a Missouri fan, it is my opinion that NOTHING good ever comes out of Kansas. I'll hold my nose if I have to drive through there to avoid smelling the stench of Jayhawk droppings, I won't spend any money in the state, and I'll even curse out loud at KU billboards along the interstate. I'll gladly say plenty of horrible things about the state of Kansas, the University of Kansas, and KU players, but you'll never hear me say anything even remotely resembling complimentary about them. Does that make me weird?? No, it actually makes me a pretty normal rabid sports fan...

In other words, thin-skinned people have no place in a competitive activity... :huh:

this is a medical condition known as "drum corps-itis" that can makes dealing with people on dcp very frustrating. basically it works like this, 80% of the people here not only have a favorite corps, but will say anything to make that corps out to be the second coming, and obvious choice for the next title, and basically the only slice of heaven on earth going. conversely, any criticism leveled against their corps, no matter how minor (or accurate) draws their immediate indignation, they rail out against their perceived persecutor, make nasty personal comments, try to turn it into an insult of the other guys favorite corps, and make complaints about lack of evidence and failure to adhere to parliamentary procedure, all the while bemoaning the fact that some random nutjob hates their corps for no reason. it's ridiculous sometimes, i've actually received private messages asking me why i hated a drum corps so much for noting how much they had improved in an area, the writer took it to mean i must have hated them because i when i said they had turned a weakness to a strength i was calling them out for having a weakness. seriously, people in here are amazingly narrowminded and neurotic when it comes to this, i can't tell you how often i delete a post that makes a valid point because i just can't bear to listen to the whining that will surely ensue.

So true my friend. You only have to take a look over at the thread that is stating that BD is peaking and Cavies and Regiment have a shot to catch them (which they possibly could). But....it's funny how these "fans" are nit picking everything from running in the show to boring music. It's what I like to call "subtle" bashing, to try and make their favorite look good and their competitor look bad. It turns me off sometimes, but it's so obvious what these posters' agendas are.

bashing is a part of any competative activity.

For example, I am a HUGE baseball fan. I often find myself saying "the Yankees SUCK!!" Do they really? no, not one bit. I just don't like them. Same can be applied to drum corps. People know that certain corps don't actually suck, they just don't like them for one reason or another.

Someone before said something about this bringing passion to the activity, which, I believe, is a healthy thing.

bashing is a part of any competative activity.

For example, I am a HUGE baseball fan. I often find myself saying "the Yankees SUCK!!" Do they really? no, not one bit. I just don't like them. Same can be applied to drum corps. People know that certain corps don't actually suck, they just don't like them for one reason or another.

Someone before said something about this bringing passion to the activity, which, I believe, is a healthy thing.

Wasn't it a nicer world before the internet when if you had something bad to say you had to say it behind a persons back...........just a thought :huh:

this is a medical condition known as "drum corps-itis" that can makes dealing with people on dcp very frustrating. basically it works like this, 80% of the people here not only have a favorite corps, but will say anything to make that corps out to be the second coming, and obvious choice for the next title, and basically the only slice of heaven on earth going.

Oh, heck...

You just ruined the theory that one of the corps will actually prove that they can walk on water next year by creating a river onfield...

Wasn't it a nicer world before the internet when if you had something bad to say you had to say it behind a persons back...........just a thought :huh:

speaking of ... The Onion

quite funny!

and I can't imagine a work without the internet. I'd rather be mean and have the internet!! haha :)

I do try to be nice, i promise

and I'm looking at your avatar thinking of them in DCA guard unis :huh:

OK, I had to go back to look at the pic.... :huh:

And my background is all Senior/All-Age and Alumni-type corps.....