Why are the Corps bashing?

this is a medical condition known as "drum corps-itis" that can makes dealing with people on dcp very frustrating. basically it works like this, 80% of the people here not only have a favorite corps, but will say anything to make that corps out to be the second coming, and obvious choice for the next title, and basically the only slice of heaven on earth going. conversely, any criticism leveled against their corps, no matter how minor (or accurate) draws their immediate indignation, they rail out against their perceived persecutor, make nasty personal comments, try to turn it into an insult of the other guys favorite corps, and make complaints about lack of evidence and failure to adhere to parliamentary procedure, all the while bemoaning the fact that some random nutjob hates their corps for no reason. it's ridiculous sometimes, i've actually received private messages asking me why i hated a drum corps so much for noting how much they had improved in an area, the writer took it to mean i must have hated them because i when i said they had turned a weakness to a strength i was calling them out for having a weakness. seriously, people in here are amazingly narrowminded and neurotic when it comes to this, i can't tell you how often i delete a post that makes a valid point because i just can't bear to listen to the whining that will surely ensue.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a medical condition known as "drum corps-itis" that can makes dealing with people on dcp very frustrating. basically it works like this, 80% of the people here not only have a favorite corps, but will say anything to make that corps out to be the second coming, and obvious choice for the next title, and basically the only slice of heaven on earth going. conversely, any criticism leveled against their corps, no matter how minor (or accurate) draws their immediate indignation, they rail out against their perceived persecutor, make nasty personal comments, try to turn it into an insult of the other guys favorite corps, and make complaints about lack of evidence and failure to adhere to parliamentary procedure, all the while bemoaning the fact that some random nutjob hates their corps for no reason. it's ridiculous sometimes, i've actually received private messages asking me why i hated a drum corps so much for noting how much they had improved in an area, the writer took it to mean i must have hated them because i when i said they had turned a weakness to a strength i was calling them out for having a weakness. seriously, people in here are amazingly narrowminded and neurotic when it comes to this, i can't tell you how often i delete a post that makes a valid point because i just can't bear to listen to the whining that will surely ensue.

Too cool. Nuff said. :huh:

i feel like a lot of people that haven't ever seen a Pioneer or any other low ranked corps might have the same idea in their head as i once did... I was expecting people to be on the wrong foot, fracks everywhere, having to stop and restart a piece, drums breaking, the ground opening up and swallowing some corps memebers... no.. it was definitely NONE of this.

Each and every one of these corps has something that EVERYONE will like, may not be much, but there is always at least ONE THING that people will like about a show.

These corps aren't as bad as we think they are.

Also sounds like the idea some people have of DCA corps.

I think Quarterfinals may be the best show of the season... around 20 corps for one show... cheaper tickets...

can't beat that! :huh:

When I could go to either DCA Prelims or Finals but not both, I always went to Prelims so I could see ALL the corps shows. And my butt was in the seat when the first corps hit the field early in the AM. (It helped that my house is about 2 hours from Allentown (1980s) and Scranton (2002).

Of course being in a corps that went from last place at Prelims to a 6th place DCA finish helped me to appreciate the work the so called "lesser" coprs put in to get the show on the field. :huh:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

it's bashing until it's about guard uniforms, then it's usually warranted

Wow. I agree. I think on some of these uniforms the "warranty" has run out.

this is a medical condition known as "drum corps-itis"

I won't even tell you what I thought that word was in your "condition" since I had just read the post about guard uniforms.

:huh:

I was like #### I've heard of corps goggles and other stuff but not "drum corps-****" that must be new.

it's bashing until it's about guard uniforms, then it's usually warranted

You leave Madisons manboobitis shirts alone.... :huh:

That's taking ABSURDITY to it's extreme (2 cents to BD). Of course any corps if looked at over their entire existence would have a "worst" show ever. Whether that would placement wise or theme wise etc. The same would be true of a best ever show up to that point. My point was that we as so called "fans" deem this show or that as either based on our likes or dislikes without regard to scores or previous history. Current or past. Would all those who say that BD is walking on water this year also be able to give props to BD 1976 when they first won DCI? Not using today's way of looking at corps. I know that times have changed but the fact remains that good is good. It was true 30 years ago and is still true today. Best and worst of any singular show is both best and worst relative in time but not at the same time! :huh:

I am still not sure I get what you are saying, or vice versa. I personally can use BD as my example. In MY Opinion, Yowza, was the WORST BD show EVER. I am not bashing them. They were incredible musicians that did extremely well with a show that I personally HATED. I never hated the corps, just that particular show, and have never been able to watch it again. I can and do watch their Godfather show many times over and see it as one of their best ( again, my subjective opinion ). So how is either statement seen as bashing or praising. Now in todays terms, I can say that the Colts did their best performance at their home show ( for this year ). In my opinion, they did. Is that ok to say, or am I just flat out wrong and a Colts honk? I am truly trying to understand your point.

And the fly said to the spider ‘I don’t like you either, I don’t like you either’
and I'm looking at your avatar thinking of them in DCA guard unis :huh:

I am wondering if people are"bashing" other corps because the activity is down to 20 Div 1 (World Class) corps and thus gives fans less groups to cheer for and puts a spot light on all coprs more than it used to. For instance: Just 5 years ago you had Magic, Cascades, Southwind, Cap Regiment, Kiwanis Kavaliers all competing. To me it made it so that there was more to look at and made it harder for individuals/fans to feel as though there corps got targeted or bashed. That's not to say that people then did not get ticked off, but it was more evenly spread. Now with 20 corps and 12 spots, and with all the scrambling going on in the 14-15 corps that are finalist contenders it makes it a bit easier for peoples opinions to sting. This is not only for those trying desperately to get into finals, but for the corps whose styles may be different from others- ie Cadets, Blue Knights or who are pushing to be a top tier corps ie..Crown, Bluecoats. Each corps has had major discussions on this board. Just the other day the arguement was up as to whether Crown was gonna win the world title and that sparked a huge debate. I think many Crown fans would have taken it personally that the answer was an emphatic no from the majority, but that is just the way it is. I don't know, but it seems like having a heated debate is sometimes not all that unhealthy unless there are personal attacks being given. I haven't read that in a while. Just my opinion.

Wes Perkins