What happened to Bloo?

Having said that;

Bloo '08 is a really, really good corps. A bit late off the mark as "non-vets" learned to get their feet under themselves, but beyond that, I'd love to be marching with this group.

With so many great drum corps competing for the top spots I agree that you could have the best show and design that your corps has ever fielded and still not place where you'd think. That is why I do not think the top 5-6 thing is as important a mantra as it was back in the 90's. Last years Bloo really showed us that. I know a young corps can be challenging but I feel that the drill is just not adequate for them to place in the top 5 this year. That does not mean I dislike the show as I really dug it in SA, but it is getting beat because it does not have the demand (visually) that the corps above them have. I am shocked to see the guard placing 10-11, but I have a feeling they will not stay there come finals, as I found them quite good in SA as well.

Wes Perkins

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol...i LOVE how people are deflecting the question with sunshine and roses. The only person that actually tried to answer the question was the guy that talked about all the brass and colorguard ageouts, and the new staff. Anyone else have any ideas?...or shall we talk about how a rough year for bloo would be a 'great year for any corps 9-20'. Yeah, and a rough year for BD would be what....3rd, 4th??....we'd still be talking about it.

Huh? OK here's an answer without sunshine: Success being defined as finishing top 5 is apparently a narrowly held view of success. Finishing 6-12 is pretty sweet, UNLESS you come into the season proclaiming you intend to win. Did they do that?

Hmm. Possibly finishing higher than last year which was considered one of their most successful seasons ever is pretty rough I guess.

:tongue:

When I marched (before Jurassic Park) making the top 25 was an achievement. Associate membership - 13th to 17th (?) - was good news. Performing on Saturday...... sweet!!

Not that there are 20 corps .... is performing Saturday diferent?????????

I think I may need a change of perspective!!!!!!! You tell me.

Actually the corps is doing quite well. One thing many may not know, but the corps lost a ton of vets last year, mostly in the brass line (which was a top 2 or 3 line last year in MO). But they also lost vets in guard as well.

So add that to the fact that we did bring in some new visual and guard staff, and consider that they are working with a less experienced corps, with exception of the percussion, and I think the staff is doing well and so is the corps. Heck, they are in the top 6. That's pretty darn good these days, and their show is fun and receiving excellent reviews now, especially after some tweaks that needed to be made.

Rock on BLOOOOOOO!

Thank you for that. At least there's someone else who doesn't think that a 7th place corps who's rocking a younger corps with new staff shouldn't be a failure because they didn't jump 3-4 spots in one year. :tongue:

though the hornline vet thing is logical and surely factors into it, i'd more so vote for "show design" above all else, again....particularly drill (again).

a particular flaw i've noticed in the show design is within its predictability. going into the performance, people are already expecting a rocky-type show, especially within the storyline. a big loss, more training (beyond what had already been done, i guess), and triumphant victory. it happens, and no one is surprised once the show is over. there are moments when people are impressed by the level of performance (particularly during the acapella section and the drum feature), but there aren't any twists to invigorate the direction of the 'narrative' the corps is going for. is anyone really surprised when the 'champ' falls down at the end of the 10-count in the closer?

before watching phantom's show, i had no idea what to expect. i read that the story of spartacus revolves around a slave rebellion, but had no clue how it would be portrayed. their show had twists and unique perspectives on a story, so interest in the development was maintained throughout. this is the same reason why i don't generally like the cavaliers shows recently...i see that it's called "machine," and then know that the show is going to be a drum corps repeatedly portraying the general concept of machines. visual gimmicks that are machine-like. no surprises. it may not be everyone's viewpoint, but at the least, it's why i've observed less general conversation about the bluecoats this year than any of the corps around them. morale also seems to be low, much lower than i ever remember experiencing when around/in the corps, but i'll let a current member post here to explain why that's the case. could be a variety of reasons why they're frustrated.

i dont think the '08 members are unhappy because of where they're scoring right now; even if they were, it wouldn't be warrented. i watched scv rehearse before atlanta and perform later that night, and they're definitely a "worthy ####### adversary." (thanks, walter sobchak.) 6th in 2008 is definitely something to be proud of.

best of luck to all of the blue teams in the coming weeks.

Edited by Jared_mello

Looks like a rough year? How exactly?

Since 2001, they've placed consistently from 4th to 8th. As it stands now, they will likely finish this season in either 6th or 7th.

I think it may appear rough because they excelled so much last year (beating Cavies and BD at Centerville), it's not odd to expect that again this year. However, I bet they're on track to score the same, so it's not really a letdown. I love the show.

Last year after 21 shows, they were at 90.600

This year after 21 shows, they are at 88.950

That's not much of a drop, imo.