DCI running on fumes?.....NOT!

I find it hard to believe that the price of gas has negatively effected every other event in the Nation, yet "drum corps" shows remain stable. Couple that with some of the duds for shows on the field this year and I believe the actual picture to be quite different. Surely not all DCI sanctioned events are reporting record breaking attendance figures. I have a feeling come Indy, the actual attendance figures as compared to last year will be quite different and probably no reason to celebrate. Just my two cents.

I DO NOT understand the dud comment but I agree that we could see the effects of gas prices more at championships than any other shows. There have been some reports that people are doing more things locally and maybe the local drum corps show is one of the fun things added to a family's summer budget in place of that trip to Disneyworld.

. . .even if there was a bit of a drop-off in attendance at the local shows, I'm pretty sure that DCI wouldn't report that as such: the focus will probably be on the regionals growing a bit.

You know that's the way it'll be spun. :smile:

....the 'free' uniform agreements can be chalked up to the fact that may of the top tier drum corps have weekends where they specifically work with the local high school/middle school/music school kids. Naturally, the kids and their teachers/instructors will lean towards purchasing the same musical instruments and uniforms as the sponsoring corp uses. ALL of the uniform and musical instrument manufacturers know this.......so they 'reward' the corps that can bring them additional sales.

I think that as long as drum corps continues to build their relationships with the middle and high schools, drum corps will survive. In Normal, IL, I sat in the middle of dozens of people who had never been to a drum corp event. THEY LOVED IT! They were there to watch their kid workout with the Cavies (if I remember right) and they stayed to watch the show.

A win - win situation!

Dont some of the corps also get pit equipment and maybe some brass equipmment endorsement help too???

"I AM SPARTICUS!!!!"

You are talking about the "elite" corps who get those "lavish" endoresements to wear new uniforms. Believe me I know how that game works. But it still doesn't mean it works for the lower tier drum corps who are struggling to keep up with the big guys in hopes of moving up the ladder.

How many summers have we been begged for gas donations after a corps puts in amps or horns or new uniforms for their shows? It's getting rather old to me. If they want to add the new toys to play then they should make sure it's in their budget, that's all I'm sayiing.

Yep, that's common business sense. Don't spend beyond your means.

...I agree that we could see the effects of gas prices more at championships than any other shows...

And I could see high gas prices making return trips to Indy (given the length of stay of DCI finals in Indy) even fewer...

From everything I've seen this season, the predictions of gas prices killing DCI attendance this summer has not happened. The 2 events that I attended were packed and it appears that people are attending DCI events no matter what the price of gas. I'm certain the corps are feeling the pinch at the pump, but I haven't heard of a cancellation due to lack of fuel by any corps. I know some corps will be in the red as a result of unexpected fuel costs but so far it looks like Americans go where they want, see what they want, when they want, not matter how screwed up conditions get...I love this country!

Gas prices going up made me have to just pack my car with five people instead of two this year when I drove to CA. I say they're helping attendance.

I traveled through Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota and I have attended 15 shows so far this year and only Normal had a good crowd, and gas was the last of my worries.

What do you do for a living that gives you enough income to travel to all these shows? Must be nice.....

Purely luck of the draw. I got into a high paying job with very nice benefits all by accident. Thats why I make sure and spread the good fortune. There isn't a corps at a single show I went to that doesn't get gas money, and I buy souvies from all of them. My luck may run out down the road, but for now, I live like tomorrow will never come.

LUCK?! I highly doubt that...you may see it as luck but I'll bet dollars to donuts that you worked very hard to put yourself in the position to be offered such a gig. I know I did. :) No luck about it...

But I'll be at Semis (Open AND World) buying as many souvies as I can get my hands on. Pay it forward...

Also, can we talk profit MARGIN instead of straight profit? It tells a more realistic story. :)

6% margin is pretty darn low (other than in the grocery biz).

Just sayin...