HOLY NAME CADETS to return in 2009

Its a name....the original name.....thats it...........I dont think the original was formed based on religion......it will be an honor to all who walked the path of this great drum corps.

You're wrong, of course, in my opinion. If you believe, it's not just a name. The original name came from the Church, a religious church, one that formed the Holy Name Cadets, as a youth activity, yes, but I don't think the Church would've sponsored the corps if it had not had Godly intentions and aspirations.

The purpose of so many Catholic Drum Corps was as a sort of youth mission. If you don't believe or deny that, then, you fully don't understand the original name and definitely don't care. That's the sole source of my ambivalence...that's it. That people won't get the real meaning of the name, "Holy Name".

The only thing they'll see is the name of some old drum corps and miss the fact that it was part of something much bigger.

However, that said, if you know what the word "ambivalence" means, you can see I don't wish them any ill will. I am just reading too much into the name change. I am thinking too much about the thoughts of the original mentors of the corps and their intentions.

You call it an, "honor to all who walked the path of this great drum corps." Perhaps many, if not all, see it that way. You say, "Its a name....the original name.....thats it". I don't think so. I say, it's a marketing ploy...that's it.

Like Ford, a few years ago bringing out the retro styled "Mustang", or VW, "the New Beetle" or Chevy's new retro "Camaro", or Dodge's retro "Challenger". All marketing ploys to play on nostalgia and increase sales. Of course in the "spirit" and "mystique" of the original cars.

Have your dose of nostalgia. Those that were actually members of the corps, when it was actually called "Holy Name" will, indeed, be honored. They'll eat it up and buy stuff and so will everyone else. This is America, there's nothing wrong with that. If you market it right, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Kind of some ironic, existentialism going on here or I'm just being cynical. :tongue:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That AND using the Tennet Dr. Who in your avatar!!! :tongue:

That's Tennant oh moustachioed one. :) Boy I miss hanging out with you at DCA.

Uh oh, i just went off topic.

no narration, just amped brass :shutup:

So, does a vocal 'Amen' at the end count?? :shutup:

Let's hope they secured the legal rights to use that name ... Anything associated with that corps/name is property of a church in Garfield.

I thought each corps was a 501(3)c not-for-profit organization. That means there are legal requirements to maintain that status with the state each year, including the reserved name.

I take it you've checked with the State of New Jersey non-profit status list to confirm what you're saying before you proclaimed this as truth over the internet?

Can you check on that and get back to us with your correction?

Here, just to show you I'm a nice guy :shutup: : http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/charity/chardir.htm

Edited by wvu80

That's Tennant oh moustachioed one. :) Boy I miss hanging out with you at DCA.

Uh oh, i just went off topic.

Wibbly-wobbly....timey-wimey...

BACK on topic....heh

I agree with no WSS (well....maybe a short snippet, since they won with it)....someone on the BD board suggested Rockey Point or App Spring...I said it was too soon for RPH (since they did it in 03), but perhaps AS....with a huge Z pull that disintegrated into a company front!!

(the 83 Z pull, please......the first and the best)

One can only hope! "This, I believe" :shutup:

"This I Believe":

If they REALLY want to be the "Holy Name Cadets" in "Year 75", they should try doing it with "G" BUGLES as the old Holy Name Cadets drum corps did. Not trying to start a war, just a suggestion... :shutup:

Elphaba

Hey....they did a 4 count high lift mark time in 92.....first time since what...the 70s?? And IIRC, they went left foot in 83....I think the switch to right was a year or 2 later?

It was 1985

Oh....to be a fly on the wall for THAT!!!:shutup:

...still bitter over 1984???? :shutup:

Maybe they could even move back to the neighborhood and invite all the local kids to join in as activity in the community. That would be a real tribute to their beginnings.

Well, when I jioned in 1970 there were relatively few actual residents of Garfield marching. That is one reason the town did not care much for us even back then. The lack of movement up to the big corps from the Plebes led to the creation of a totally separate Garden State Circuit corps, the Epochs, for a while.

I'll bet my son is excited to march under Holy Name Cadets. Too cool.

It'll be his age-out year cause he turns 21 in mid-May. First time he's ever been too old for anything. He's always been the youngest one.

And now we'll have to get all new corps gear... Aaargh! I'll think about that next year.

I'm pretty sure there will be a trumpet player in the corps next year who will a 3rd generatiuon Cadet. His father marched in the late 70's to early 80's and his GRANDFATHER not only served as director of the Garfield Cadets but also marched with the Holy Name Cadets in his youth.

Next year is going to be such an awesome experience.

:...for Holy Name shall alwyas be!"

Edited by George82

...still bitter over 1984???? :shutup:

Not at all...Galen made the reference to the Wipeout if they went back to a left foot stepoff and I responded ....don't read more into it than it is...if I was truly bitter 25 years later, I wouldn't have have a very nice PM exchange recently with an 83-84 Garfield alum.