Nice Corps to Corps Gestures

The Spirit/Crossmen story has been told every year since it happened during one of the winter camps. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what it was. But, I do remember it being a big gesture of kindness. I do remember in 1992 housing with Magic, and Southwind, and having a spaghetti supper with them because they had run low on food and were going to have PBJ's and water. And we stayed a little later to help Magic load one of their trucks. Their corp left early and left one of their trucks behind with one man to load everything. We saw this and our loading crew (Go contras), helped out to get him there in time. My brain now hurts! Thats all for now.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we(Pioneer) fed Delta Brigade breakfast at a truck stop right after a couple of their staff was killed in a auto accident.

Everyone knows about Phantoms playing to Cavies after 06 finals.

actually, i don't. anyone care to enlighten me? :)

How about hats off to all the drum corps fans & parents? How many parents have shown up with coolers full of gatorade when their kids are in town? Or how about everyone on this forum? When Teal Sound was robbed recently, no one gave a second thought to donating money to keep the organization on the road. Or when one of the Blue Devils was recently hospitalized with a life-threatening condition....he received hundreds of good wishes from fans and family members. This is truly a great activity to be a part of. Whether as a member or a fan!

(By the way....GO BLUE STARS!) :thumbup:

Last year after finals we (three BS volunteers) got a ride back from Pasadena to the Midwest on their staff bus. just a handful of members, staff and volunteers. That was a fun road trip. The bus break down in Utah of course helped a lot in getting to know each other being out in the desert alongside the interstate for about 5 hours. good memories! Go Scouts!

And I know some one remembers in 07, not really a corps to corps gesture, but somepoint along tour, some regional, i completely forget, but some guys filled up the back of their pickup with gaterade and other assorted beverages and welcomed the kids to take as many as they could hold. When I say filled, i mean filled. That truck was overflowing with bottles of gatorade. That kept me going for weeks. It was absolutely incredible. Anyone remember where that was?

My memory is hazy on this one... I was drugged up due to a bad respiratory infection from hot rehearsals and freezing cold busses, but...

In 2007, at the Racine show (I think) the corps that performed before the Troopers, (Capital Sound possibly?) exited the field and waited past the fence for the corps to finish their show. As the Troopers marched off the field to circle up, the corps was lined up and applauded for the Troopers. It was very, very cool.

Edited due to my horrible use of punctuation and run-on sentences.

Edited by drumelloboe

Two completely unrelated stories -

In 1984 the Velvet Knights equipment truck broke down on their way to the PDCA Championships......the only prelim/finals show on the west coast at the time. We (the Blue Knights) finished our prelims performance and left the stadium where our staff set us up in a retreat block and instructed us to ground our equipment. Once everything was down, our staff explained VK's situation and told us that the Velvet Knights would be marching prelims using our equipment......drums, bugles, flags.....EVERYTHING. We moved away and the Velvet Knights moved in and picked up our stuff. We went back to the stadium and watched VK wearing white t-shirts, shorts, and their red converse sneakers march their show with our stuff. I've always thought that it was a worthy accomplishment getting through their show on unfamiliar horns and mouthpieces. Afterwards we went back out and found our equipment grounded exactly where we had left it and the two corps remained fairly tight for the rest of the season.

In 1995 I recall the warmth of the Southwind food crew preparing a meal for the Colts in Buffalo the day after a Colts parent on tour working the food truck tragically passed away while on a free night in Niagra Falls. Lending horns is a big deal but it pales when compared to taking care of people during the hardest of times.

Apparently while on tour, we (Spartans) fed Spirit during the day at one point. Either that evening or the next evening's show, Spirit treated us to Peach Cobbler.

Those of us from the South (or North Cuba for me) were ecstatic.