Nice Corps to Corps Gestures

None from Coats huh? That's a bummer. I thought it was a pretty cool gesture and hoped they had kept it up.

Maybe they got too distracted by the drummer that was hit by a car on Finals day in 95 (you still out there Krebs?). ;)

Well at least it seems that Glassmen "paid it forward" for you guys. I loved your show in 95. I saw you guys

early in the season and knew you would be in finals.

Thanks, '95 was everything I could have asked for in a drum corps season. About the banners: I know one was from Glassmen because I remember their logo in the middle of it. As far as the other one, I'm not 100% sure who made it. It's been 13 years! It might have been Bluecoats, I can't be 100% certain.

I just remembered I know a guy who marched Bluecoats '95. I'll ask him, he should remember. Funny, he marched Sky Ryders the years you marched Bluecoats and then Bluecoats 95-97.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Fox told that story when I marched. The stacked bass drums made for a good pizza serving table, from what I understand.

I also understand the Troopers, who were in full bad-### retreat mode, were NOT in the mood for pizza... :worthy:

But we were in the mood for a bass drum stacking contest. :worthy:

Since no one has really explained the whole Crossmen/Spirit relationship in detail, I thought I would because it is indeed very special and shows the class of the two organizatiions. A word of warning, it's a long article I found on DrumCorpsWiki (I know, I know!). The interesting thing is, I only knew part of the story. It goes waaaay beyond what I've always heard:

First, I had never read this story. I had heard about it, but reading it.... I'm sitting here in awe and fighting tears.

Second, I'm with Randy. This story should be required reading for everyone who marches anywhere in any year from now until the end of time.

I just remembered I know a guy who marched Bluecoats '95. I'll ask him, he should remember. Funny, he marched Sky Ryders the years you marched Bluecoats and then Bluecoats 95-97.

I think that must be Jason Pittman. Yeah - I think he started marching Sky Ryders the year I went to Bluecoats and

then he came to Bluecoats after I aged out. We've emailed a few times, but I don't think we've ever met.

First, I had never read this story. I had heard about it, but reading it.... I'm sitting here in awe and fighting tears.

Second, I'm with Randy. This story should be required reading for everyone who marches anywhere in any year from now until the end of time.

Actually, that was Sam who said that. I just posted the story. :worthy:

That was my thoughts, actually, but yeah.....the Spirit/X-men story is kinda the gold standard!

Not sure if this was a nice gesture, or just a nice moment, but it 97 the Cavaliers were next to us (Madison) at retreat for finals and they turned in our direction, arced up and played the corps song/Over the Rainbow, and it was amazing.

I was in Suncoast Sound in 94. We had a show in Columbia, South Carolina and our truck got lost or something so we had no instruments. Only the guard had their weapons and flags. The Glassmen let us use their horns, drums and pit equipment. We were marching on the field and low and behold our truck is coming down the street.

I remember they had the tri toms with the spock off of the #2 tom so " technically " they were quads (?) and those remo drums were loud man. I remember the ensemble music judges tape. " Basses you are overpowering the ensemble " haha.

Thanks Adam ( 3'rd bass ) for letting me use your bass

Thanks for clearing up the whole Crossmen Spirit thing. I've always wanted to know but felt too stupid to ask. I'm probably going to forward some of these on to BH (gmen's corps director) He'll love to hear the nice things. It's always nice to hear thank you, especially in the midst of competition.