PR's herald trumpets

The herald trumpets that debuted in A-Town are on loan from the ARMY Band according to JD Shaw. They are not the same make/models/key used in 1998. Hearing/seeing them up close in sectionals and seeing Crotts working with them, the pitch, tone and aperature are amazing! Once the trumpets get clean and articulate the phrasing, it will be GORGEOUS as an entrace in IN

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trivia note--Gail Royer wanted to use herald trumpets (herald bugles?) at the beginning of Festive Overture in 1985. I haven't emailed Rick Valenzuela since Allentown, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was in the back of his mind when the idea of using herald trumpets came up.

I can't remember why GR decided to ditch the herald trumpets idea. It must have either been the performance issues noted already or the expense of having two-valve units custom made.

Trivia note--Gail Royer wanted to use herald trumpets (herald bugles?) at the beginning of Festive Overture in 1985. I haven't emailed Rick Valenzuela since Allentown, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was in the back of his mind when the idea of using herald trumpets came up.

I can't remember why GR decided to ditch the herald trumpets idea. It must have either been the performance issues noted already or the expense of having two-valve units custom made.

My guess is the pain in the butt factor....Hollywood Knights used them in 83, to they DID already exist...I think King made them.

But all they are is a trumpet that's not coiled so tightly...the length of tubing is unchanged....it would HAVE to be and remain in Bb

Now a herald tuba...THAT would be impressive.....unbalanced as all Hell, but impressive! :thumbup:

Edited by 84BDsop

For those that may be interested (if you're not, please ignore :thumbup: ), I am the director of the Fanfare Trumpets at the US Army TRADOC Band. Those trumpets come in the keys of Eb Soprano, Bb Melody, Bb Tenor (reads like a baritone) and either G or Bb Bass. In the picture of Regiment they are playing the Bb Melody horns. When you put all of the horns together they produce a very "strident" sound that gets everyone's attention! I believe that Yamaha makes the Bb Melodies that are available on WWBW. The Army Bands usually use horns made by Besson, Boosey & Hawkes, or better yet, Kanstul from the US and Smith-Watkins from the UK. The last two brands are by far the better horns, but they are still a challange to play in tune.

Edited by piperguy

They are welcome additions to an already masterful telling of Spartacus, but there were some pretty nasty fracks and articulations in last nights show during the section. PR will have to clean that up to fully play out the effect.

I heard that at the show too, in addition to some other uncharacteristic fracks. Do you think the addition of the herald trumpets affected the brass score? I mean, I felt like I couldn't argue with Crown's great brass scores, but I feel like PR has the possibility of winning high brass this year.

I played a fanfare trumpet once...you get used to it as far as balance is concerned. Obviously you don't go flicking them around like a regular drum corps horn for a horns up, but as far as playing them precisely, those horns Regiment has borrowed are probably very manageable. They'll get it under control quickly, I think.

I played a fanfare trumpet once...you get used to it as far as balance is concerned. Obviously you don't go flicking them around like a regular drum corps horn for a horns up.....

Oh SURE you could.....but then you'd have a Dizzy Gillespie model!

Getzen built single-piston G herald bugles in the 60s, and DEG produced a 2-piston G herald soprano in the 80s.

I believe that Regiment's 98 use of them was Bb models that received special dispensation from DCI at the time. At least, that's what I recall hearing.

Now a herald tuba...THAT would be impressive.....unbalanced as all Hell, but impressive! :thumbup:

Hmm...the first 3 person bugle in DCI history. :thumbup: