DCI Allentown 2008 Review, both shows combined

FANtastic review. Honest, mixed with a little humour (which we all could use lately) and without any slamming of corps the poster does not like. I'll read Tigger's review anytime. Great job.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never post but I thought I might add a few comments on this subject. The top 3 drum corps on friday night Cavaliers, Blue Devils and Bluecoats had some solid shows. With that said, Cavaliers definitely had the edge show wise. It was a noticeble level of difference between them and the Blue Devils and Bluecoats. One of the things it pains me to say is how the percussion scores were off. Bluecoats percussion section out performed Blue Devils and Cavaliers. Why do I say it pains me? Because when great performances are not rewarded history shows a corp changes their concept of what they will be doing in the future. :thumbup: Bluecoats drumline played an extremely difficult show and pulled it off cleanly. Well let me rephrase that. They were cleaner than the other lines that night and the difficulty level of the show was well above Blue Devils and Cavaliers. One of the things I have notice over the past 20 years is hornlines in general have gotten better but drumlines from the late 80's to mid 90's didn't improve as much. It wasn't until around 1995 when judges started awarding drumlines that played difficult parts. Case in point Blue Devils. It's taken almost 10 years from 1995 for judges to get drumlines to understand its OK to play difficult shows we will reward you. Because of this you have better drumlines today than 10 years ago. By not rewarding challenging parts performed cleanly, percussionists have a tendency to correct what they perceived to be doing wrong and take on less demanding parts resulting in the drumline level of performance to go down. Looking back this is not where drumlines should go. We should be getting better just like hornlines. Although we have not wiped away our gains, it is very easy, even easier than hornlies for percussionist to stop playing demanding parts in order to win. This is where winning can produce unintended consequencies and this is why it Pains me to look at the percussion scores. Some will get upset with this post but there is an underlying discussion among percussionist about this very issue and it does affect which drum corps can recruit needed talent in the future regardless if you are in top 12 or not.

Great Review, thanks

Pertaining to the Cadets narration, actually four performers would lose their spot:

To the right of the pit what appears to be " The Monolith from 2001", is actually a screen

covering the two voice providers, the two actors actually do not speak!

It actually takes four persons to do the radio interview!

Edited by fecontra

Thanks for the review & all the time you invested in it! It was a pleasure to read!

Harvey

Great Review, thanks

Pertaining to the Cadets narration, actually four performers would lose their spot:

To the right of the pit what appears to be " The Monolith from 2001", is actually a screen

covering the two voice providers, the two actors actually do not speak!

It actually takes four persons to do the radio interview!

WOW! I assumed the actors were wearing wireless mics. OK, decision made, you have to keep the narration for those four member's experience.

Thanks for the insight.

Tigger

WOW! I assumed the actors were wearing wireless mics. OK, decision made, you have to keep the narration for those four member's experience.

Thanks for the insight.

Tigger

Maybe they could alter the stage into a sundial for them to push around durning the show.

I never post but I thought I might add a few comments on this subject. The top 3 drum corps on friday night Cavaliers, Blue Devils and Bluecoats had some solid shows. With that said, Cavaliers definitely had the edge show wise. It was a noticeble level of difference between them and the Blue Devils and Bluecoats. One of the things it pains me to say is how the percussion scores were off. Bluecoats percussion section out performed Blue Devils and Cavaliers. Why do I say it pains me? Because when great performances are not rewarded history shows a corp changes their concept of what they will be doing in the future. :tongue: Bluecoats drumline played an extremely difficult show and pulled it off cleanly. Well let me rephrase that. They were cleaner than the other lines that night and the difficulty level of the show was well above Blue Devils and Cavaliers. One of the things I have notice over the past 20 years is hornlines in general have gotten better but drumlines from the late 80's to mid 90's didn't improve as much. It wasn't until around 1995 when judges started awarding drumlines that played difficult parts. Case in point Blue Devils. It's taken almost 10 years from 1995 for judges to get drumlines to understand its OK to play difficult shows we will reward you. Because of this you have better drumlines today than 10 years ago. By not rewarding challenging parts performed cleanly, percussionists have a tendency to correct what they perceived to be doing wrong and take on less demanding parts resulting in the drumline level of performance to go down. Looking back this is not where drumlines should go. We should be getting better just like hornlines. Although we have not wiped away our gains, it is very easy, even easier than hornlies for percussionist to stop playing demanding parts in order to win. This is where winning can produce unintended consequencies and this is why it Pains me to look at the percussion scores. Some will get upset with this post but there is an underlying discussion among percussionist about this very issue and it does affect which drum corps can recruit needed talent in the future regardless if you are in top 12 or not.

I believe part of the problem with drums is that the snare heads are so tight.

As a result two things happened:

1)you hear all the mistakes

2)they no longer sound like snare drums from previous years

I miss the sound of great snare line.

I believe the Cadets were the corp to keep a nice sounding snare line

However, that changed a couple years ago