Blue Stars -- Back in finals!

Maybe for retreat??? Similar to SCV breaking out the aussies for 87 retreat after wearing the Russian fur caps for the show...

That would be kind of cool :thumbup:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would still bet it doesnt happen. But man i can't wait to be there..

I've been a fan of the Blue Star organization since the mid 70's.

It was always a thrill to see them when they were a division 2/3 corps. They never "dumbed down" their program. I loved watching them tackle a difficult show and selling it in August. Seem like they have kept that tradition alive.

Thank-you Blue Stars, Madison, Pioneer and Racine Scouts for keeping drum corps alive in Wisconsin.

Also, just from a "drum corps in general" perspective, this is a great story. To have a corps die in 1982, survive as a "Cadet" corps to come back as a Div. III, then be on their death bed in 2003, and rebound to make World Class finals in 2008, shows that any corps can be reborn. The long-time alumni of the Blue Stars, like the Furlanos, Charlie C., Dawn, Steve Stueck and countless others, should be a model for how to bring back great corps of the past. Now, where are those 27th, Bridgemen, Suncoast, Argonne, Guardsmen, Black Knights, etc., etc. alums............

Hey, I marched in 82, we were certainly not dead. 83 was the year we did not field a corps.

Hey, I marched in 82, we were certainly not dead. 83 was the year we did not field a corps.

'83 did not feature DCI open class representation, but there was a corps competing at the CCI Championships.

I wanted to add my congratulations to the Blue Stars. I only started watching DCI shows in 1988, but have known about Blue Stars this entire time. Seeing them compete in D1 two years ago was a treat, and watching this year's show for the first time in Stillwater, MN, I felt they were a contender for top 12. We in Minnesota don't have a junior corps, so Blue Stars is kind of like our local corps. I am so proud of how well they have done over these last three years in D1 (World Class) and expect great things!

As a Blue Star alum who was there in 1979 for the last finals appearance and also in 1980 for the 13th place finish (by the way, we did not perform in exhibition at finals - not sure where that story came from), it is so exciting seeing the corps on the verge of returning to the big show. A remarkable story.

I want to give a shout out to all of the members, staff and volunteers who kept things going during the DII and DIII days. The Blue Stars always looked great, no matter the size. And they always carried themselves like you would expect from a world class drum corps. It is going to be a very emotional night next Saturday for a lot of people. Well done.