Finals Prediction 2008

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alliance is a lock for Class A Finals. Dream was a Finalist last year, and by all reports are even better this year, so Dream is in too. Chops and Govies are prior A champs. Then there's Fusion Core, the new corps on the block. White Sabers (finalists in '06) are a dark horse.

Half the corps you've mentioned here haven't had a score for a few weeks and have been sinking in the rankings as a result. Those same corps also saw themselves up in Open Class territory at some point or another this season. I'd say that one of the 6 mentioned here could very well be a 10th-place shocker.

Alliance - first time finalist, first time champs

So, that wasn't Alliance standing two corps down from us during the award ceremonies in 2005?

:wink:

... Kilties have only ever beaten Cru once (1998). ...

For the record,

August 5, 2006, Syracuse NY:

Kilties 73.475

Crusaders 72.675

2006 DCA prelims results:

Kilties 84.213

Crusaders 82.438

Edited by J.C.

For the record,

August 5, 2006, Syracuse NY:

Kilties 73.475

Crusaders 72.675

2006 DCA prelims results:

Kilties 84.213

Crusaders 82.438

:wink:

Yes, how silly of me. I should've said, only once have Kilties beaten Cru out for a Finals spot (1998). Thanks, JC!

Same goes for Matt. I had forgotten that Alliance made A Finals in '05. I was busy with my own corps at Finals, so that fact didn't get pressed into my mind. That's what I get for trying to write this stuff from memory.

Half the corps you've mentioned here haven't had a score for a few weeks and have been sinking in the rankings as a result. Those same corps also saw themselves up in Open Class territory at some point or another this season. I'd say that one of the 6 mentioned here could very well be a 10th-place shocker.

Anything is possible. I was just trying to use head-to-head match-ups, instead of absolute scores to build my scenarios. Fusion Core and White Sabers have had several match-ups with Open corps, and I haven't seen an opportunity for them to be considered seriously. I used Dream's, Chops', and Govies' match-ups with their local Open Finalists to gauge their chances as well. Dream has a shot too. Less so for Chops (sorry) and Govies.

While gaps may be small, the more "bodies" one has to climb over, the harder it is to get up there.

I think it's safe to say that 8 corps are definitely in Finals:

Bucs, Hurcs, Cabs, ES, MBI, Brigs, Bush, Renegades. (and about in that order too.)

The real drama resides in the last two Open Finals spots, which may be taken by an A corps, and the Class A Finals. So of the next five corps, who gets into Open finals: CV, Cru, Kilties, MCL, Alliance (who has the only realistic chance of the A corps)?

CV and Cru are returning Finalists. Cru has not beaten CV in several years. Kilties have only ever beaten Cru once (1998). OTOH, Kilties only finished 5 points back of MBI recently, which is only 1 point more than how far Cru was behind Brigs. MCL and Alliance were more than 4 points behind CV, who had bested Cru by only 3 earlier this season. So, I think CV is in.

Now, it comes down to Cru or Kilties for 10th. History and experience give Cru the edge. Sentimentality and momentum from last season give Kilties an advantage.

Alliance is a lock for Class A Finals. Dream was a Finalist last year, and by all reports are even better this year, so Dream is in too. Chops and Govies are prior A champs. Then there's Fusion Core, the new corps on the block. White Sabers (finalists in '06) are a dark horse. Who to choose?

Open Finals:

Bucs - too tough to catch, look out for #4

Hurcs - hopefully this rarified air won't choke them

ES - anniversary surge nets them one place

Cabs - on familiar territory here

MBI - can't crack the highest echelon against these corps

Brigs - not enough oomph to hold off MBI this year

Renegades - 7th will please their dark overlords

Bush - more horsepower needed this year

CV - better than ever doesn't get them higher than ever

Cru - make it in by the skin of their teeth

-----

Kilties - edged out by less than a point.

A Finals:

Alliance - first time finalist, first time champs

Dream - getting closer

Chops - former champs back in Finals

Fusion - no sophomore slump

-------

Govies - out by a gnat's eyelash.

I think the final push comes from being seen more times by the judges. Cru and Fusion get that edge over their competitors.

Disclaimer: based upon information gathered up until this point in time. Unless/until some corps can prove they can overtake the corps ahead of them, this is the way I see it.

Although I am pushing for Hurcs to be #1, this is the most respectable and likely outcome for this year. I looked at many reviews and predictions and figured they were more of a wish list then an actual true prediction. You not only said what your prediction was, you added a note that is the truth and makes sense. I hope you continue to do more predictions and hopefully do a review or 2 of the preformances.

All I know is that it is going to be really cool to get a chance to announce the scores at prelims this year.

And, for a reasonable fee, change some of them. :wink:

JUST KIDDING of course!!!!!!! :wink:

Fran

All I know is that it is going to be really cool to get a chance to announce the scores at prelims this year.

And, for a reasonable fee, change some of them. :wink:

JUST KIDDING of course!!!!!!! :wink:

Fran

Hey Fran,

Before you announce a single score, make sure that all of the scores and awards are correct. You dont want to have a repeat of the colorguard award from last year. I cant believe they didnt edit that out of the DVD

Hey Fran,

Before you announce a single score, make sure that all of the scores and awards are correct. You dont want to have a repeat of the colorguard award from last year.

LOL!!!!!

Fran

Hey Fran,

Before you announce a single score, make sure that all of the scores and awards are correct. You dont want to have a repeat of the colorguard award from last year. I cant believe they didnt edit that out of the DVD

Could have heard a pin drop on that one. :wink: