College, High schoolers and Labor day

I don't know how DCA corps deal with academic schedules today, but DCI has a hell of a time with it. Kids coming from different places, different schools with different schedules = WHOA! I know that some kids make arrangements to take their final exams early, but some schools don't permit it, and other schools want them back in class before the season ends. I remember reading a story about the Crossmen this year, and they had their brass line set at 64, but only 42 showed up at one of their last camps because the rest still had academic commitments. Not much you can do about that.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for junior corps I ALWAYS had to leave school a week early. Which meant taking my spring/summer semester finals a week early. Schools/Teachers will work with you if you let them know, ahead of time. Most times I had to depend on my parents to handle my college class schedule for the fall since I was still on tour. Not always great results, but functional.

As far as all age corps. You either a) adjust your minimum age to bypass students, they're too poor to pay their dues anyway. Or you let them know about the conflicts(potential or otherwise) from day one of open house. Although somehow some soloist or bass drummer seems to always avoid making the connection until the week before labor day. At a minimum missing Friday and half of Saturday because of their flight schedule. And a bit tricky when the parents make the Friday and Saturday rehearsal, and the Kid (not even legal driving age) somehow makes a flight out in time for the Saturday gig.

I know ithere are always conflicts with high school band directors who have football games.

Edited by OICMR corps

Its a problem in Southern California recruiting for the age group we're after.

I tried recruiting from both of the universities with marching bands (USC and UCLA), but they both usually have football games during Labor Day Weekend.

For instance, this year UCLA has a home game against Tennessee on Labor Day; USC plays at Virginia on Saturday August 30 (the USC band attends every football game, home or away).

Lots of guys were interested in senior corps until they found out about the DCA schedule.

College kids don't mind blowing off a band rehearsal, but they can't miss a game.

Edited by wsssb

I'll go out on a limb here. What if ?

What if DCA Finals were the week after DCI Finals?

You might lessen the impact of membership in the corps, but you might also lessen the number of fans and out of region corps making the trip....that extra holiday day for travel means a lot.

It seems we all have a fair amount of high school and college people in our DCA memberships.

How does everyone deal with schedule conflicts of late August shows and Championships?

There are a few people (counting me) in Cru that are going to SUNY Fredonia. I'm not going into music...but those that are have to audition for placements or something like that for Reading weekend. So we'll be having some holes in the drill...but move-in is on the Sunday coming back from Reading and classes start that Monday.

I def know that the guys & I have classes on Friday which kinda sucks because Cru has rehearsal before I&E's!! :smile:

The season is short enough already. I understand that the age range is quite different these days but the average competition performance schedule is what 6 or 7 shows now.

Edited by Fastone

There are a few people (counting me) in Cru that are going to SUNY Fredonia. I'm not going into music...but those that are have to audition for placements or something like that for Reading weekend. So we'll be having some holes in the drill...but move-in is on the Sunday coming back from Reading and classes start that Monday.

I def know that the guys & I have classes on Friday which kinda sucks because Cru has rehearsal before I&E's!! :smile:

I was in Cru and in 03 we had a few of us from Fredonia (I graduated in 06). That year they decided to have classes on Labor Day Monday... why, we never figured out and they haven't had it since. We attempted to drive back overnight from Scranton and left the "after party" at the hotel a little after midnight. After the guy I was riding with nearly fell asleep at the wheel and we almost flipped into a ditch on 86, I got back to Fredonia 20 mins before my 8am theory, but couldn't handle it after everything and was in bed all day.

well it wasn't dca back then, but my band director said he would throw me out if I missed something for drum corps... I believe I told him he could uncurl my french horn and insert it where the sun doesn't shine.. but back then... band directors either loved or hated drum corps and mine hated... my high school band career was short... (lol happened in my freshman year... all I remember is the show in question was Ottawa Ont. and I wasn't about to miss a contest and let down my brothers)

as for the rest of the posts, most are good answers.. if you can - you do... it may be hard - but you find a way...

As for Mr. Nalls... all I can say is that it's a good thing your boss wasn't at Renegade's hotel...