Star of Indiana 1993

Yes, actually it was. In fact, it was determined before the season even began...that's right - well before a single show had been performed. Trust me.....I know this better than anyone sans Jim Mason himself. When Nick and I flew to Tampa Bay before the season began in order to record with the Canadian Brass, one of the CB errantly mentioned to me that he "looked forward to playing with us in the future". It seemed a little odd at the time, but in retrospect, it made perfect sense and it was completely 100% validated that this was indeed how things went down. Anyone claiming that Star "quit" DCI due to our 2nd place finish in '93 can officially STFU. I can guarantee you that it was pre-determined, well in advance of the '93 season. End of discussion.....I'm quite honestly tired of addressing this, so please feel free to reference this "official", and first-hand account for all such inquiries. The myth, the mystery, the speculation....it is no more. The fact that this particular year is even still a topic is, on one hand, admittedly flattering....and at the same time, it's actually quite pathetic.

"Thanks for playing" :rock:

And....Clark "Center Stick" Gardner for the win!!!!!!!!

For what it's worth, Hannum outdid himself. Awesome use of space...and the pit writing? Sublime. I literally stood next to Hannum at finals in 93...watching that masterpiece unfold, and watching a reserved man like Thom go ballistic in the show was a treat I'll never forget!

For anyone that didn't dig it...that's cool. To me, it's THE show that re-defined depth of composition in DCI.

And Clark...I promise I won't post about this any more ! :rock:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The arrangement of the front ensemble was mostly a result honoring the specific instructions from Bartok's orchestral version, which requires such a symmetrical setup for stereophonic purposes. In person, the same effect was realized by our ensemble. Here is a terrible illustration of what I am referring to:

www.mti.dmu.ac.uk/%7Eahugill/manual/seatingplans/CVDBartokIvessm.jpg

Also, for a completely ridiculous explanation, check this out:

http://solomonsmusic.net/diss7.htm

Blame Bartok, I guess.

I think I've explained that to him before but he still doesn't like it.

I think I've explained that to him before but he still doesn't like it.

Indeed. Barber had no such specs, and Bartok didn't specify for his music to be played by horns and field drums. So to insist the pit do the urtext thing while everyone else is doing the drum corps thing is to reduce the pit to a gimmick, a parlor trick. Good writing all round, though. A fine show, no denying.

Indeed. Barber had no such specs, and Bartok didn't specify for his music to be played by horns and field drums. So to insist the pit do the urtext thing while everyone else is doing the drum corps thing is to reduce the pit to a gimmick, a parlor trick. Good writing all round, though. A fine show, no denying.

Would you consider Star's decision to use antiphonal brass choirs in '90 to be a parlor trick? The split parts were in the original but weren't intended for G bugles. I congratulate any arranger who makes an effort to resemble the original work as much as possible despite the limitations of the instrumentation. It's almost like you're saying that any attempt to sound like the original is a crock. Maybe original music is the only thing that should be played by a drum corps since any existing music was never intended to be played by DCs in the first place.

Oh and "everyone else" wasn't doing the "drum corps thing." Jimmer arranged antiphonal parts for the brass and IMO made a very admirable attempt to stick very closely to the original material.

By this logic, you must consider all but a handful of drum corps shows to be a "gimmick" or "parlor trick", since the vast majority of music played was never intended to "played by "horns and field drums" (Including the years you marched....(It's been awhile since I listened to Chicago, but I don't recall them using much Timpani!!!! Nor do I recall timpani used in "California Dreamin", "Eleanor Rigby", or any number of tunes that you performed in your drum corps career with the Knights).) The "specs" as you say, did not call for such gimmicks or parlor tricks. By your own definition, YOU were a "parlor trick".

If you consider all such instances a "gimmick", it is rather unlikely that you will find a sympathetic audience here, since nearly every person on this forum who marched in DCI would be "guilty" of participating in shows that, by your definition are laced with "tricks" (excepting people who may have only marched shows such as Suncoast '88).

I never realized that there existed a "standard" pit configuration. I apparently didn't get that memo. Sorry you found ours to be so blasphemous.

With apologies to anyone who continues to read this post.....

Edited by bullethead

You got it backwards. Read the post again. Or don't.

By this logic, you must consider all but a handful of drum corps shows to be a "gimmick" or "parlor trick", since the vast majority of music played was never intended to "played by "horns and field drums" (Including the years you marched....(It's been awhile since I listened to Chicago, but I don't recall them using much Timpani!!!! Nor do I recall timpani used in "California Dreamin", "Eleanor Rigby", or any number of tunes that you performed in your drum corps career with the Knights).) The "specs" as you say, did not call for such gimmicks or parlor tricks. By your own definition, YOU were a "parlor trick".

If you consider all such instances a "gimmick", it is rather unlikely that you will find a sympathetic audience here, since nearly every person on this forum who marched in DCI would be "guilty" of participating in shows that, by your definition are laced with "tricks" (excepting people who may have only marched shows such as Suncoast '88).

I never realized that there existed a "standard" pit configuration. I apparently didn't get that memo. Sorry you found ours to be so blasphemous.

With apologies to anyone who continues to read this post.....

Star of Indiana and Garfield/The Cadets.. my two favorite corps. One for obvious reason and the other for my huge respect for their history and approach. In 1983 & 1984 when I say in Miami and Atlanta I dreamed of marching in that type of corps. Well I got my wish but in a different location and in a different color.

SO when I say the following it comes from both my objective opinion in 1993 and also 15 years later as I have seen both shows countless times.

When the Cadets performed I felt like yes that was good and felt like I was watching the Cadets. When Star of Indiana performed I sat there and simply said more than once "You have to be FU**ing kidding me. That was ridiculous." I said that throughout different parts and when I heard the scores yes I was very surprised. I felt the Cadets did a great job but it was a level below that which Star put on the field in 1993.

I never had and never have to this day heard a drumline play like that line. The hornline was well another great Star hornline. The guard was better than had ever been fielded by Star and then you had a great visual book by Johnny V. Put this paragraph together with the simple fact that is was the best drumline and best guard along with the standard high standards of the hornline and it is pretty simply to see why Star should have won if this was truly an objective activity.

With that being said I think all that have competed at that level understand it is really not about what the few green shirts write down on a piece of paper that truly the success of a drum corps season. Any time you put humans in charge of judging it always comes down to either opinion or politics. Cadets did a very good job and the panel decided they liked what they saw from them more than the group from Indiana.

Oh well I guess those that marched in 1993 should take great pride that they are still talked about and debated 15 years later and the fans that were there to witness should feel grateful to see such an epic matchup.

Edited by General Blunt

I recognize 93 Stars talent and excellent performance skills, and that they had a very difficult book, but man that show just put me to sleep.

This argument is sort of like the movie "The English Patient"

either you thought it was a masterpiece, or the most boring thing ever.

agree 100%