Star of Indiana 1993

Just one fan's opinion, but Star '93 is one of my top 3 favorite all-time shows, behind 2008 Phantom and 2003 Phantom. If you check out my iPod, you'll see this show getting dozens of plays. Last time I looked, I was up to something like 113 plays - and that was maybe a couple months ago.

Strictly since it's an older mp3 file, it has more plays than 2003 and 2008 Phantom combined, not that it's a bad thing at all. :smile:

The music is kick-arse and other aspects of the show, like the guard book, some of the insane visuals and the overall theatricality appeal to this olde pharte's senses hardcore. :smile:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:smile:

:lol:

<SIGH>

Alright. I'll just make this quick. While there might be some validity to a handfull of your statements, your broad brush approach leaves one with no choice but to discount nearly all of the post. Not to mention that there seems to be some hard feelings that are influencing the opinion.

Sure Star was one organization, but there were a ton of individuals involved. Each had their own level of influence and their own story. To lay a singular motivation seems a little misguided.

Folks,

We've been through this before with "Cowtown". You will all learn that his "hard feelings" toward Star stem from him once being dumped (or shunned)

by one of the young ladies in the Star guard. Don't believe it? Look around for some of his posts on this subject and see for yourself!! :smile:

Oh and by the way, Cowtown. If Star ever does come out with an Alumni Corps, please feel free to get up and GTFO of the stadium. There will be

plenty of people around you who will be glad you did!! :smile:

Hey, maybe Star will pay the alumni to come back and play. Then we can ruin all alumni corps, also. Dude, serioulsy, get a life, get over yourself

and move on. Your act is really getting OLD!! :lol:

later,

tony (paid to play) taylor

Please close this thread

overall star did more harm to DCI / drum corps than they did good (and their owner had done a ton of good in DCI prior)

I don’t want to see a Star alumni corps, you left DCI so stay gone

I cannot believe this thread got this far before you showed up.

Heads up. The Stars are threatening to align just right, so you might not want to attend finals in 2010. Will be glad to disappoint and enlighten you if you come.

In before the close!

His best comment of this thread has to be how Star helped to kill the regional, smaller, hometown corps. I did not realize Star had so much control on how other organizations chose to run themselves or how the increasing cost of running a drum corps due to economic issues. I guess I never realized that the domestic economy was so influenced by a youth organization in Bloomington Indiana.

As has been stated and is fact... Star did not have the largest operating budget while performing as a drum corps and we were never paid to march. When they became a professional performing group then the members were part of the union and yes they were paid as the "professionals" that they were.

Some people are better off to be thought ignorant than to open their mouth and remove all doubt.

If there ever is a Star Alumni corp feel free to kick me an email of where you are sitting and I will have a specially made tshirt delivered to your seat that says "Star Tried to Ruin Drum Corps". Also let me know your preferred color as I doubt you would like one in Magenta:)

His best comment of this thread has to be how Star helped to kill the regional, smaller, hometown corps. I did not realize Star had so much control on how other organizations chose to run themselves or how the increasing cost of running a drum corps due to economic issues. I guess I never realized that the domestic economy was so influenced by a youth organization in Bloomington Indiana.

As has been stated and is fact... Star did not have the largest operating budget while performing as a drum corps and we were never paid to march. When they became a professional performing group then the members were part of the union and yes they were paid as the "professionals" that they were.

You'll never convince some people of that....no matter if God Himself told them.

Folks,

We've been through this before with "Cowtown". You will all learn that his "hard feelings" toward Star stem from him once being dumped (or shunned)

by one of the young ladies in the Star guard. Don't believe it? Look around for some of his posts on this subject and see for yourself!! :smile:

That’s just not true, that’s something that was made up the last time we talk about Star, I never sought the romantic affections of any Star member ever. There was so much off topic misinformation presented about me that I usually don’t feel the need to address but this one, lets put a stop to it now, it’s beyond silly. But it is also a good example of why the some of the Star folks bugged me then and now…”oh, the only reason cowtown couldn’t love us was because he was rejected by us’ – get over yourself already

Wait! Is that a siren I hear in the distance?

Must be the WAAAAAMBULANCE coming to help cowtown.

Brent, Tony, Mike and the gang, does "Thank you. You have a very nice drum corps." work in this situation?

Maybe a special invite to join the alumni corps is in order...assuming he has the chops...

Cheers!

Karen

Some people are better off to be thought ignorant than to open their mouth and remove all doubt.

If there ever is a Star Alumni corp feel free to kick me an email of where you are sitting and I will have a specially made tshirt delivered to your seat that says "Star Tried to Ruin Drum Corps". Also let me know your preferred color as I doubt you would like one in Magenta:)

Really, I already know that and it didn’t even take God to get that point through to me, in fact, I never said Star had the largest operating budget. That’s another thing the Star folks do that bugs me, the willfully pick and chose what they will address to provided a misleading impression

I thought that I was pretty even handed on that, here is my quote, I'll bold what you missed or fialed to notice

The pay to play and be paid to play, national uber bando model they helped usher it – to be fair, it would have probably come in anyway and they just speed it up, but maybe not. It really help kill regional, smaller, hometown corps [/b]

Prior to Star, most corps' staff were long term and home grown, sure, there were start ups and some movement but drum corps was a lot more in-house and local, little groups grown from the bottom up over years.

Star changed that, the attracted other corps’ staff, often from out of their own region and then after a few years, they started drawing their corps from out of their local region (I believe in their first year though they did have around 50% from the local area). Star moved drum corps more towards the national bando model and away from the community based youth activity model

now what I want to see from the Star folks, something they always fail to address and what I feel lead to their further misleading myth and what really bugs me are, well I'll just quote myself and see if they have the guts to honestly answer for once

So is it fair to say Star 93 would not have happened had they not decided to leave DCI? And what was the corps intent initially with this program?

I'd like to further qualify the question as I left it far too open and would expect a typical Star answer that side steps the intent of the question with a smurfism such as ‘to be excellent on the field’. What was Stars intent initially with this program 'in regards to the fans'

than after we get that you can work on the bold part below, which you failed to answer before and I doubt we'll get an honest answer this time

I just don’t like the deification of Star myth and many Star folks still perpetuate it, understandably, by tackling the equally obnoxious myth that they left DCI because of second place in 93 without adding the rest of the story or saying how Star felt about DCI prior or why they might want to leave beyond blaming the fans' reaction. they were other reason beyond the fans. How did Star get along within DCI/ What did they think of the workings of DCI? What was their attuitude towards DCI? Yep, those kinds of things

Now if I were to treat this thread like a Star member and as I have been treated by Star folks, I'd say the reason Star folks are so bent about my postins on this topic because ...

I was at finals in 93, I didn’t like either Cadets of Star’s show, both were somewhat similar, both were preformed better than all the other corps, having no horse in the race, Cadets won on finals night IMO, Star was better in semi’s - I was bored
I just don’t like the deification of Star myth
fact is Star left DCI, get it, they blew DCI off. good bye

they are freaked that I challenge their myth and they are all aware of what I’m talking about, they just chose not to address it so they can continue their myth, which I don’t blame them for, that’s all they got really, they certainly don’t have a corps to rest their laurels on anymore

They’d rather blame the fans (whereas before they also blamed DCI) and then act as if this ‘opportunity’ that they actively sought out to extract themselves from DCI, just fell in their laps

nope, there was more to it kids

edit for meaning and grammar and I'm sure I still missed a few

Edited by cowtown

Wait! Is that a siren I hear in the distance?

Must be the WAAAAAMBULANCE coming to help cowtown.

Brent, Tony, Mike and the gang, does "Thank you. You have a very nice drum corps." work in this situation?

Maybe a special invite to join the alumni corps is in order...assuming he has the chops...

Cheers!

Karen

A typical Star response, one I’m all to use to, one I really expect, see they were that way back in the day too

Attack the messenger (in a very unoriginal, ripped off, stock sort of rote recitation way), ignore the questions again put forth, high five your buddies and AGAIN imply that the only reason I don’t worship Star is because I’m not good enough for them (‘I don’t have the chops comment)

Text book really, I couldn’t have asked for more

you left DCI once, don’t know why you’d want to come back again, seriously

Someone commented about closing this thread, I see no reason to, I’m not personally attacking people and the vitriol, smears and slanders directed towards me don’t really bother me at all and frankly, I’d like to get an answer on the questions they refuse to answer (even if I already know the real answer)