Star of Indiana 1993

yes, it's all about that guard girl that dumped me and me not being able to make your corps and being jealous of your vast success as a corps – oh wait, it’s not as none of those things ever happened. How many times are you going to keep repeating them until they stick? Yes, that Star attitude is clearly on display here

seems all the ‘facts’ here are opinions yet no opinion on what Star’s general attitude towards the fans and DCI was around 1993

here is one fact: they left DCI never to return

and here is a bit from their own press on 1993 shows which I think about sums it up

“"Medea's barbarous, bone-shaking rage paints a chilling and graphic testament to her final, fatal tantrum, intentionally leaving the audience in a shocked and jolted daze."’

Yep, its clear to me that 1993 was Stars final, fatal tantrum leaving the audience in a chocked and jolted daze

And really, why would I want to join an alumni corps of a corps that I never marched or would want to be associated with….oh yeah, just more of the Star knee jerk, lashing out blaming all others while trying to hide from their real past….of bailing on DCI and the activity in a spoiled child like final, fatal tantrum which of course, they blame upon everyone else while never really looking in their own mirror or their own press release

Yep, that Star attitude is still a huge disappointment

Perhaps the only "facts" that you want to hear are those with which you agree. But hey, what do I know? I was paid to play!!

Wait, I forgot..... Thank you very much. You have a very nice.........

:lookaround: : :sad:

tony

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the hate you ask?

What hate I ask? I don’t hate defunct corps but I do hate the perpetuation of only part the story, willfully leavening out parts in hopes of maintaining some sort of concocted image, as I have already explained

I never said Stars horn line sucked, another strawmen wrongly attributed to me to try and undermine my creditability in fact, I said Star and Cadets preformed at a higher level than all other corps in 93.

Put it this way, if I glowingly said Star was innovative for changing or hastening the business model and dynamic of drum corps – you folks would be gushing all over me and adding to my post, not claiming that you didn’t.

But still, besides what I witnessed at the time, it very telling that again (as in the previous thread) you failed to address the general attitude of Star towards DCI and DCI fans around 1993.

I know the attitude, Star folks were all very clear about it at the time, some have even hinted at it in other threads. To your credit, I guess it’s better to dummy up than out right lie and say we loved and respected DCI and the way they carried themselves, treated us and operated. We also loved the fans, even if not all of them loved us.

Hey, I get it, you want to maintain your carefully crafted image, I want to temper it with reality and for you to own up to part of the reason you left DCI was your corps general dissatisfaction with DCI.

I think I got my answer and I think anyone reading through this and seeing how some have presented themselves will also have the answer

I looked at the 38lemon site, I don’t get it, as I didn’t get the earlier cancer joke…I have more personal experience with brain tumors and cancer that I could ever hope to glean from a website, regardless of how well that website may present itself. Unless you can explain the relevance of suggesting that site and how it might apply to you also, I can only think that it was a diversion from the topic as so many of this posts have been

Have you EVER made a meaningful post on this board? My God....grow the #### up!

I’d like to think so but if you don’t perhaps you should put me on ignore

Thank you for your valuable contribution

Why the hate you ask?

What hate I ask? I don’t hate defunct corps but I do hate the perpetuation of only part the story, willfully leavening out parts in hopes of maintaining some sort of concocted image, as I have already explained

I never said Stars horn line sucked, another strawmen wrongly attributed to me to try and undermine my creditability in fact, I said Star and Cadets preformed at a higher level than all other corps in 93.

Put it this way, if I glowingly said Star was innovative for changing or hastening the business model and dynamic of drum corps – you folks would be gushing all over me and adding to my post, not claiming that you didn’t.

But still, besides what I witnessed at the time, it very telling that again (as in the previous thread) you failed to address the general attitude of Star towards DCI and DCI fans around 1993.

I know the attitude, Star folks were all very clear about it at the time, some have even hinted at it in other threads. To your credit, I guess it’s better to dummy up than out right lie and say we loved and respected DCI and the way they carried themselves, treated us and operated. We also loved the fans, even if not all of them loved us.

Hey, I get it, you want to maintain your carefully crafted image, I want to temper it with reality and for you to own up to part of the reason you left DCI was your corps general dissatisfaction with DCI.

I think I got my answer and I think anyone reading through this and seeing how some have presented themselves will also have the answer

I looked at the 38lemon site, I don’t get it, as I didn’t get the earlier cancer joke…I have more personal experience with brain tumors and cancer that I could ever hope to glean from a website, regardless of how well that website may present itself. Unless you can explain the relevance of suggesting that site and how it

Did anyone else get the same answers the cow got? Anyone???

If you got the answers you wanted... then...bye.

tony

WHO F***ING CARES what their attitude toward their fans or DCI was? They were brilliant, and I don't care if they disliked DCI, fans, the New York Giants, or the Catholic Church! As far as I'm concerned, they could have mooned the "fans" before every show. I'd still be on my feet cheering them.

And who the **** are you to judge what their attitudes were?

I am going to bluntly ask you...have you ever marched in drum corps, and what years? Or....are you an "armchair quarterback"? Usually guys like you with some off-the-wall opinion are the ones who never walked the walk.

"Clean-up on isle 2....."

I looked at the 38lemon site, I don’t get it, as I didn’t get the earlier cancer joke…I have more personal experience with brain tumors and cancer that I could ever hope to glean from a website, regardless of how well that website may present itself. Unless you can explain the relevance of suggesting that site and how it might apply to you also, I can only think that it was a diversion from the topic as so many of this posts have been

38lemon is a site built and maintained by a former Cadet battling brain cancer. In this midst of this terrible battle, he has taken the time to try to educate others, build a community among patients and caregivers, and push for opportunities in research for this monstrous disease. While you're trying to snivel your way through a capricious arguement that absolutely no one else has jumped in to defend, there's a real drum corps veteran doing outstanding things in the face of massive adversity. He is focusing on all the important things in life and not letting any of the negative energy get in the way of his ultimate victory.

I'm not surprised you don't get it.

Edited by kstein

Cowtown's Greatest Hits:

Posted on: Aug 18 2006, 01:33 PM

Why does that statement annoy me?

Oh, how was attendance at the DCM championship this year?

Zero, you say…why is that? It was driven out by a DCI monopoly…oh and how many times did I get to see the local Midwest corps in the Midwest this year excluding Finals week? About a third to a quarter of the of the times I did years prior.

Yep, drum corps doing so great…that’s why I see fewer shows and corps around me each year. They are going great this thing into the ground.

Tangent: I hung up with the DCI folks and staffers many years ago for 2 finals, some of my old corp-mates worked for them…I love those guys dearly but be afraid, be very afraid of the level of competency and also the priorities that I had the misfortune to witness…the wretched taste still lingers.

now might be a good time to go find Cook, some DCE, DCM folks.. add in the 13-2? corp and sprinkle with say a Cadet or Crossmen who have new ideas and want to see another new direction...hmmm

Cook? You mean the guy that helped *ruin* DCI by creating Star?

Posted on: Jul 19 2007, 11:38 AM

recall DCM 1993 and the crowd did not like Star. I also remember Star getting booed in 91 and 92. A lot of corps were mad that Star ‘raided’ their staff and that their staff ‘defected’, most talent then was locally developed. Stars first year, they were very well received but they lost people with ET and then it went down hill from there. You almost have to break it down year by year to get the big picture of what Star did and how some of the crowds reacted. When Star put together their 93 show, the writing was already on the wall (pun intended), you kind of knew what was coming, they made their intent clear with the 93 show. I think they were already gone when 93 started. Also, it wasn't just the fans but also DCI that Star took issue with, I think had it only been either or, it would have worked out differently, but DCI never gets enough credit for the role in the Star thing.

Fact or fiction : prior to Star’s inception Bill Cook flew out the top corps for his own personal drum corps show in Indiana

Nothing like rewriting history...

I don’t like it and I’ve been there a ton of times. I generally find Hoosiers to be unwelcoming and rather stand offish.

It's because they hate you.

Still not jealous of Star, never was, don’t recall getting beat by Star either. Never got cut but did get dissed by their guard.
Their first year they were well received and given a free pass…oh, they are cute, pink and doing well, good luck Star, nice to see new blood

Second year…oh, there are still pink, what’s with this space junk on the field, it’s worse than that Mickey mouse stuff, which we gave them a pass on because they were new and trying to be endearing but talk about pandering, is this what they are really going to build a fan base an legacy upon? This is way too bando. Man, they sure do have a lot of guard equipment and extra horns to play with…hmm, the members are not as nice as they were last year, what’s up with that?

Third year…um, this is a bit much did I really see an elephant on the field, some loop hoop thing and a juggler...its a a rip-off of the Bridgemens beloved circus show of 80, but it lacks all their charm and humor, it’s just kind of a stupid show, done well but…hmm, their guard won’t talk to us anymore, wonder why?

Because they hate you.

And frankly, if this little story of yours is true:

One of the rock bands I was in at college got signed to a record deal which was later picked up by one of the largest major labels in the industry. So my age out year was spent recording and then touring while still finishing my degree. I don’t regret a thing, I loved the debauchery, at least what I can remember of it.

Why the F would you care if some little guard chicks talked to you at a drum corps show show anyway? Wow.

yes, it's all about that guard girl that dumped me and me not being able to make your corps and being jealous of your vast success as a corps – oh wait, it’s not as none of those things ever happened. How many times are you going to keep repeating them until they stick? Yes, that Star attitude is clearly on display here

Well, there's certainly attitude on display, but I don't know how much of it is Star's.

Why the hate you ask?

Uhm..

overall star did more harm to DCI / drum corps than they did good (and their owner had done a ton of good in DCI prior)

I don’t want to see a Star alumni corps, you left DCI so stay gone

...okay.

I've got to say, as someone who was there(in '93) but has absolutely no dog in this fight, reading through this thread and seeing how some have presented themselves here has left me with a bad impression of at least one side of the issue.

And it isn't the side represented by the Star alumni...

(IOW, in case I'm being to circumspect, you're the one coming off badly in this exchange)