Star of Indiana 1993

So is it fair to say Star 93 would not have happened had they not decided to leave DCI? And what was the corps intent initially with this program?

To answer your first question, NO.....The shows was already designed before the staff meet with Canadian Brass in the spring of 1993 to discuss the partnership. That puts a flaw in your augment. To answer your second question, they just simply wanted to experiment with body motion, but using the entire corps instead of just the color guard.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really, and what do you base that upon?

And does it even matter if the program was planned before they signed the contact or even started negotiation with the CB?

I don't think so

to go from the pandering they have to love us, lets hide behind the stars and strip show to the we’ll show them how we feel with an angry, not fan friendly show of 93….something happen in there regardless of whether or not they had an exit strategy or even planned to exit DCI at the time they planned the show

I contend, and was told by Star folks at the time, that their 93 show was meant as a message to DCI and fans, a rather negative message. Now, it’s a different story, of course but I don’t buy todays re-write, I reject the white wash

also, the quote from back in this thread gives a different impression, yes, I know the notes have to be planned before played but he is saying the deal was done before the first note was played....so (not that it really matters, see above)

Yes, actually it was. In fact, it was determined before the season even began...that's right - well before a single show had been performed. Trust me.....I know this better than anyone sans Jim Mason himself. When Nick and I flew to Tampa Bay before the season began in order to record with the Canadian Brass, one of the CB errantly mentioned to me that he "looked forward to playing with us in the future". It seemed a little odd at the time, but in retrospect, it made perfect sense and it was completely 100% validated that this was indeed how things went down. Anyone claiming that Star "quit" DCI due to our 2nd place finish in '93 can officially STFU. I can guarantee you that it was pre-determined, well in advance of the '93 season. End of discussion.....I'm quite honestly tired of addressing this, so please feel free to reference this "official", and first-hand account for all such inquiries. The myth, the mystery, the speculation....it is no more. The fact that this particular year is even still a topic is, on one hand, admittedly flattering....and at the same time, it's actually quite pathetic.

"Thanks for playing" :smile:

from the Star web sit on the 93 show, I'll bold the emotions and others things that I believe this show was meant to convey and thusly, why they chose it in the first place – I think they knew what they wanted to say and the found music / show to follow or fit it

From the 1993 Drum Corps International Championship Program:

Make no mistake about it, Medea was never a finalist for "Mother of the Year." Her vindictive savagery violated every standard of decency held dear to humans and mythological creatures alike. The vendetta she swore on her husband, Jason, resulted in unspeakable terror and tragedy for all concerned.

All the anger and scheming retribution found in the allegorical myth was captured in the sonically-searing ballet score of Samuel Barber's Medea, daringly brought to the field by Star of Indiana. Also included within the show are two sections from Bela Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste, a work written for an unusual combination of instruments. Parts are staged as in the original, with two identical groups of brass echoing the split string orchestras.

Ominous murmurings accompany the mysterious opening strains of the Meditation from Medea, soon leading into "Allegro" from the Bartok. A continual acceleration adds to the tension of the percussive agitation of the brass rhythms. After taking us to the brink of torment, "Second Meditation" (from the Bartok) provides us a momentary opportunity to relax and gather our senses - but not for long.

Dance, from Medea's Dance of Vengeance, builds upon a succession of stabbing rhythms, unforgiving in its relentlessness. The blasting volume of Medea's barbarous, bone-shaking rage paints a chilling and graphic testament to her final, fatal tantrum, intentionally leaving the audience in a shocked and jolted daze.

[link to source of quote]

so I think Star saw itself as Medea and the show was medea going after DCI

They felt like and wanted to express their inner Medea – they want revenge and uncomfortable audiences because they felt they had been wronged (why did they fell this way, other than the boos? which were not that bad and came rather late in their history....Can you say hubris and enTITLEment)

Really, you still see it in the subtext of the Stars folks posts but now it’s more the passive victim approach

edit to fix quote box, change note=know and delete or after

Edited by cowtown

Cowtown,

YOU made it personal. If that is not clear to you, then I don't know what else to say.

When YOU make personal attacks, expect to get these kind of replies.

tony

Maybe he's one of Shadow7's other personalities....all of then PITAs....

So Cowtown, are you actually Jim Mason?

You seem so clear on what the message and intent of the 92 and 93 show were, so either you're Mason or you actually discussed this with Mason. If, by chance, you're not him and you've never spoken with him, why don't you give him a call? He was the director and ultimate decision making for the programs was his. If you want to know the "why" behind these shows, talk to him. Otherwise, why don't you name the "Star folks" who gave you this information?

The membership of Star numbered in the thousands, and each of us has our own opinions. Ultimately we're simply charaged with performing the material that's presented to us to the best of our ability. End of story; that was our job.

Just wondering, what do you think the message to DCI and audience is in regards to the anger and violence in Phantom's show? Or haven't any "Phantom folks" let you in on their secret, hidden message?

BTW - a little history lesson - the top organizations have always recruited staff and membership from across the country, and continue to do so to this day. The Evil Star was not the first organization to put this model into play by a longshot.

If you are Jim Mason, are you still wearing those flip flops?

KS

Cowtown,

YOU made it personal. If that is not clear to you, then I don't know what else to say.

When YOU make personal attacks, expect to get these kind of replies.

tony

I fail to see how?

I don't think talking about a corps, not accepting the myth is a personal attack, I'm not calling out individuals (making it personal). I'm not addressing them by name but I do hold them responsible for their posts and address those posts in the context that I see fit

If you think that my using example of current-Star-folks posts as a tie to some of the actions of Star-folks-past are personal attacks. I disagree. I’m showing a trend, a culture that was there then and in some aspect is displayed here now

I don’t consider comments like, yep, another passive victim act from a Star folks, once again poor wittle Star is being picked upon so it’s OK that they lash out in a disproportionate fashion moving from talking about the corps to making it personal and acting as if they are justified in doing so

I feel the personal attacks are directed at people, you know, like, personally. making up a story that I got dumped by a guard member, saying Cowtown needs a whhhambulance, doesn’t have the chops or, has proven his ignorance. Those are personal attacks, but really they don't bother me as I already - they have been useful in fact. They demonstrate a lot of what I’m talking about with in the Star attitude in general

so no Star folks will answer those question I have put forth several times already?

interesting

So Cowtown, are you actually Jim Mason?

not that I'm aware of, seems silly to ask

You seem so clear on what the message and intent of the 92 and 93 show were, so either you're Mason or you actually discussed this with Mason. If, by chance, you're not him and you've never spoken with him, why don't you give him a call?

I have spoken with him but not in years, is he the only one that knows? Yep, he had the final say but not the only say or so I thought. I thought what they printed in the DCI guide and on their web site about their 93 show offered many clues. Plus I spoke to members, staff and moms back in 93 and they made it clear to me. But when I ask about it today, no one will answer, not even you. Maybe if Star folks would answer in a direct and honest way....

He was the director and ultimate decision making for the programs was his. If you want to know the "why" behind these shows, talk to him. Otherwise, why don't you name the "Star folks" who gave you this information?

did they break the pack, will they be kicked out, do reporters always have to name sources, not that I'm a reporter or could even gave names, nice try though

The membership of Star numbered in the thousands, and each of us has our own opinions. Ultimately we're simply charaged with performing the material that's presented to us to the best of our ability. End of story; that was our job.

really, only 128 plus the staff from that year matter, maybe some of the 92/ and prior folks had the anti-fan vibe going also

Just wondering, what do you think the message to DCI and audience is in regards to the anger and violence in Phantom's show? Or haven't any "Phantom folks" let you in on their secret, hidden message?

it had a happy ending, the anger and violence were plot devices to tell the story, not the point of the story. Maybe you should read the final line of the press release Star put out for the 93 show again, heck here it is

"Medea's barbarous, bone-shaking rage paints a chilling and graphic testament to her final, fatal tantrum, intentionally leaving the audience in a shocked and jolted daze."

yep, kind of says it all there, so you do see the difference in their uses of anger and violence , if you don't, I don't know what else to say

BTW - a little history lesson - the top organizations have always recruited staff and membership from across the country, and continue to do so to this day. The Evil Star was not the first organization to put this model into play by a longshot.

I agree, even said so in my post, go back and read it...evil star, that's funny, I don't feel that way, hey, how about deathstar or maybe thats trademarked (don't feel that way either)

If you are Jim Mason, are you still wearing those flip flops?

nope, I got new ones, there are 'in ' again

Best answer in simple terms I guess is to put a show on the field more difficult than any other and to push the acitivity. It was also to tell the story that was written into the original composer's music.

Star Started trying to go that direction in '90 then got to '92 and backed up a little but if you notice that was the first introduction from Star into expressive movement of both the hornline and drumline "Amber Waves".

The next year went back in a direction that really challenged in an area that Star seemed to excel at and that is ensemble performance with demand that was incredible. What better way then with the whole show approach and Medea. As I thought as I read some of your jargon and then saw the same thought from Karen. Didn't Phantom kill people and slit someone's throat on the field this year??? I guess they hate DCI as well??? Please share with me your factual data as to why that is not the case with Phantom???

Is it Star's fault that they were founded in 1984 and not in 1944? Is it their fault that they wanted to have a great product so they went out and asked some of the best minds to come and join their team? How many of the staff inquired about the potential of joining Star to spread their wings versus being recruited by Star?

Were there really that many more out of state members in Star versus the ratio at other corps? Let me answer that one for you and it is no. People have been traveling for years to march in whatever organization they wanted to be a part of. How do I know that.... well my Dad taught a few different corps as well as his band and in both cases kids were traveling long distances to march with the corps that attracted them the most.

I remember after seeing what Garfield was doing in the early 80's I told my Dad I wanted to march there when I was old enough. Well when Star started he brought me the information that was sent and told me he thought this would turn out to be a great drum corps and organization that I could be proud of. I started there in December 1984 and saw the growth of the organization and in the end got the opportunity to march for those responsible for making Garfield the champion they were.

To the biggest point I have to make. You come here attacking what I see as my family and the organization that I was a part of for quite some time and yet I am not to defend with the use of FACTUAL DATA?? Sorry but almost all of your perception is wrong. What Star stood for and how we approached everyday is for those of us that were lucky enough to experience it to always carry and try and pass along through all aspects of life. I have a Championship ring and to be honest I am not exactly sure where it is. It never was about what the judges wrote down on a piece of paper as we all know they most times do not get that correct anyway. It was about pushing yourself each and everyday and holding yourself more raccountable than anyone else would. It was about living as a family and enjoying the time on and off the field because that is what drum corps is truly about.

SO for whatever reason you hate Star so much, and I sure hope it is not still over a girl that blew you off that many years ago, let it go. Did our existence negatively impact your adult life? Did we do something to your family that caused a major life changing event whether it be sickness, loss of career, or death?

Okay, Cowtown, here are your answers:

Yes, 92 was all about pandering to the audience, "love us, love us, love us".

93 was a big eff you to the world.

We tried to be sneaky, but you were too clever and saw our secret intent.

These are clearly the answers you are seeking from "someone in Star". Now you've got them.

Let's move along. However, in the true, snarky nature apparently native to everyone in Star, I'd still like to know if you've got the stones to come audition for the Alumni corps? That's the question I'd like answered, please. Name the section, and I will personally move heaven and earth to ensure that you have a fair shake at making that section based on your talent alone.

Returning to work, but not before a final, "Thank you very much. You have a very nice..."

KS