Anyone catch Hopkins comments at quarterfinals?Bluecoats mic malfuncti

If he had said "Yes, the show is exactly how we dreamed it would be!" people would be #####ing because he wasn't facing up to the idea that maybe the show isn't as good as it could have been.

Nothing that George Hopkins could possibly say would please everyone on this board. He could say that he is against killing puppies and people would be all up in arms because he is discriminating against all the kittens that get killed every day.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

like i said, I applaud his honesty, and i rarely applaud him. takes balls to go on a nationwide broadcast and say "oops, well it looked good on paper" ( paraphrasing of course)

I agree and will add this:

The "actors" had the "try to look busy" look, like someone about to get fired. My bet is there is alot more going on behind the scenes then anyone is talking about. I would not be surprized if some of the kids stopped drinking the kool aid a few weeks ago.

The drum majors comments at Atlanta gave me the vibe that the kids were not upset with the fans so much as trying to keep the ship from munity in spite of Hoppy.

George seemed to have a mouth full of crow tonight and I don't think it's the fans or people making comments on DCP that served it up to him. There are 150 "kids" who pay his house note and put food on his table. I think George has had to make consessions to the kids and I'm not talking about tee shirts.

Who knows, maybe he is sly enough to drop the narration for finals and come out smelling like a rose.

LOL :smile: :smile:

This is still just drum corps. Are you really serious with this post?

Again, my problem is when he makes a comment that this show doesn't work, to me personally that is insulting the kids on the field on who are trying to make it work. Please try to see where I am coming from before trying to accuse me of crucifyin hoppy. it is my opinion if you don't agree with it that's fine but at least try not to come after me saying I am against the man. That is NOT the point of my comments.

His comment to me about them being one of the best group of performers he has had for awhile, was true, the horn line once again was incredible.

I don't think you're crucifying George. I didn't take what he said anything like the way you seem to have taken it and no one I went to see it with did either. Also it seems most posters on here didn't either. If the show doesn't work it doesn't work. The Kids DO work but the design doesn't. That's ALL he was saying and I'm sure not one of the kids if shown the clip would take it any other way. Can't prove it but in my heart of hearts I know it.

LOL :smile: :smile:

This is still just drum corps. Are you really serious with this post?

To us it might "just" be drum corps, but to many people, it's their living. And to several companies, drum corps is their marketing. It might not be Wal Mart but it's still business.

I don't know about anyone else, but if the kids are given a stinker of a show they know it. Our show in '92 was mediocre at best, and we knew it (at least I thought it was mediocre). If that is George's honest opinion, then the kids may already know it. I don't think it's a disgrace at all.

The "actors" had the "try to look busy" look, like someone about to get fired. My bet is there is alot more going on behind the scenes then anyone is talking about. I would not be surprized if some of the kids stopped drinking the kool aid a few weeks ago.

The drum majors comments at Atlanta gave me the vibe that the kids were not upset with the fans so much as trying to keep the ship from munity in spite of Hoppy.

what's that supposed to mean, that they rebelled again his almighty word and made some kind of threat to him? i think you have a strange interpretation of what life is like for the cadets.

why would the members of the corps possibly "be upset with the fans?" are you serious?

Oh I totally disagree. He actually said this was one of the most talented bunch of kids he had. He was making a comment about the show design and the way it morphed into what it became. Remember he said there are things we wished he "didn't" change, and things he wished he could have changed sooner. If there is anything wrong with the program, he is taking the blame for it, not the kids. I am sure he has said the same thing to the corps.

I thought it was a disgrace to the kids on the field trying to make the show work for him.

I can't believe he would say such a thing so close to finals and then turn around and try and promote next years show. :smile:

I didn't like their show but appreciated the horn line and drum line...but the narration was too annoying and the two "so called character actors", very odd staging to me.

and what's up with very odd staging? on the 50 between the hashes for the main character... where else would you want them

?

Front sideline, just beside the pit? That way you'd get to use the center of the field.