How Phantom will win

I'm usually not into scores as much as I am shows, but after seeing Phantom's show tonight in comparison to the other top 4, they sure as hell better be the champs this year. So looking at the recap, Phantom may just have it made:

General Effect: .05 behind Cavies

One visual judge had them #2, the other #5. Looks like a sure victim of the order they went on. Musically the are #1 across the board. This score goes up tomorrow, and up higher on Saturday.

Visual Captions: 1.05 behind BD

BD was near perfect tonight, which means they can't really get any higher. Phantom cleans all day tomorrow and Saturday, gets a higher score. Won't beat BD or Cavies in this caption, but close enough.

Music Captions: .125 ahead of Cavies

How the brass is #2 and drums #1 and they get a #3 in ensemble boggles the mind. Plenty of room for improvement while maintaining a lead over BD and Cavies.

Here's the deal. Phantom is only lacking on the visual side of things, which is the only thing you can really improve at this point of the competition. Last time I checked, visual stuff can be cleaned and cleaned and cleaned right up to finals night, so visual should get better and better. If this show doesn't win GE then DCI needs to take a serious look at what "effect" means. And musically they are tops.

So there you go. They can do, they will do it. Not by much, but who isn't rooting for this show right now (other than Mr. Gibbs)?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm usually not into scores as much as I am shows, but after seeing Phantom's show tonight in comparison to the other top 4, they sure as hell better be the champs this year. So looking at the recap, Phantom may just have it made:

One visual judge had them #2, the other #5. Looks like a sure victim of the order they went on. Musically the are #1 across the board. This score goes up tomorrow, and up higher on Saturday.

BD was near perfect tonight, which means they can't really get any higher. Phantom cleans all day tomorrow and Saturday, gets a higher score. Won't beat BD or Cavies in this caption, but close enough.

How the brass is #2 and drums #1 and they get a #3 in ensemble boggles the mind. Plenty of room for improvement while maintaining a lead over BD and Cavies.

Here's the deal. Phantom is only lacking on the visual side of things, which is the only thing you can really improve at this point of the competition. Last time I checked, visual stuff can be cleaned and cleaned and cleaned right up to finals night, so visual should get better and better. If this show doesn't win GE then DCI needs to take a serious look at what "effect" means. And musically they are tops.

So there you go. They can do, they will do it. Not by much, but who isn't rooting for this show right now (other than Mr. Gibbs)?

Yeah (here we go again and I'll bite), BUT, they scored extremely high in percussion. You can pretty much do this with the top 4.

I think the order tonight made it hard on the judges, going from dramatic/intense with phantom, and then going to a fun show with crown, to another intense show, back to a fun show, looks like comparing apples and oranges to me. Rough night for judges.

I don't expect them to get much cleaner, drill-wise. Of course, I can't tell too well with the multi-cam. It really seemed like the Cavaliers were cleanest, followed by Cadets, BD, and then Phantom, then Crown, Coats, SCV. By far the nastiest tonight was Spirit!

Sorry bud, the door is already shut.

Sorry bud, the door is already shut.

not really.... BD's visual score is going to drop

Phantom will open a bigger spread in terms of the Music....

who the hell knows what Cavies will do...

far from shut buddy, i appreciate your enthusiasm for BDs show this year but you're starting to sound like the Crown preseason hype machine

Whoever the visual caption is (I know he's supposed to be a young, new guy at the game) at Phantom is, he's doing a great job for his first time. I have faith he can bring PR to a championship by the end of Saturday night. I don't understand this BD band wagon by the way, Cavies I can understand...they have a fun show, BD? It's chaos. And not the good kind of chaos they intended, I'm saying the crappy kind of chaos where I find myself saying "where's the melody?"

*ehm* okay that was harsh, most of that is my dislike of the BD band wagon lately. GO PHANTOM! TAKE IT ALL THE WAY BABY! SPARTACUS = BEST SHOW OF 08, AND ONE OF THE BEST OF ALL TIME!!!!!

Whoever the visual caption is (I know he's supposed to be a young, new guy at the game) at Phantom is, he's doing a great job for his first time. I have faith he can bring PR to a championship by the end of Saturday night. I don't understand this BD band wagon by the way, Cavies I can understand...they have a fun show, BD? It's chaos. And not the good kind of chaos they intended, I'm saying the crappy kind of chaos where I find myself saying "where's the melody?"

I agree with much of your post.BD just leaves me flat musically.

Back on topic.

Phantom was majorly dirty tonight especially in the first 3 min of the show.There were interval problems galore.

I think Cavies have the show to win it with if they can manage to clean and have a clean run.Phantom if they clean up they are going to be champs.

BD still comes in 3rd.