World Class Semifinals Discussion Thread

i think the disconnect here is htat you can differentiate one copland, bernstein or williams composition from another because of the recognizable melody, something a lot of us have difficulty doing with saucedo compositions. honestly, i'm one of those people who thinks a lot of it kind of bleeds together and sounds the same, but he isn't composing songs per se, he's writing incidental music to go behind the visual, so its a much different priority than what you hear from other composers..

On the way to a valid observation about arrangers, composers, and writing incidental vs. concert music, you fell into the old populist's "melody" trap.

"Melody" is the LEAST of what separates a Bernstein from a Saucedo. Melody is the simplest thing in music next to a beat. DEPTH AND BREADTH are what separates the greats from the merely good.

A great composer is way way way way WAY beyond being dependent on "melody" for distinction. There are far too many possible qualities in music to be so obsessed on "melody", and it rewards an adult listener to be aware of them.

Anyway, Bernstein's "Jeremiah" Symphony, as unconcerned with melody as it is most of the way, remains one of his best works, and one of his most distinctively "Bernsteinian" (melodic or not).

Another case in point:

Shostakovich's 10th Symphony (which was arranged for the Blue Knights last year) has a power and intent far beyond the reach of any melody -- it is a complete and near-devastating musical experience in a concert hall, and you walk out a changed listener, looking at the world with new eyes and ears, like after a great film.

Try THAT with melody alone!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah devils! one more!

But jeez... what an amazing top 4...

I wont be heartbroken either way.

How are they getting these before they are announced? Drat, Cavs dropped, just don't see it. I don't see BD scoring that high, but I guess that is why I am not judging.

Never mind, I see them on DCI. I just don't see how they Cavies got 3rd in GE.

Seriously.
BD is just that good!  They move so incredibly well.  Granted, I am partial because I am a vet.  But, this years BD is special....

BD get 10's in vis performance and music, BS, total crap

WOW! WOW! Two Wisconsin corps made it into finals this year! How long has it been since that happened?

I think it went from 3 in '78 to 2 in '79 then 1 in '80 and never more 'til now.

Blue Devils get a perfect 20 in visual ensemble again.

were we watching the same show?

Edited by rifleline14

How are they getting these before they are announced? Drat, Cavs dropped, just don't see it. I don't see BD scoring that high, but I guess that is why I am not judging.

My question is how #### clean do we need to be? We get cleaner and they gain more points? What happened between the show where we won by .300 to now losing by MORE than that... I'm sorry, but it should just be a lot tighter than that, As clean as they both are...