Terrible version of America

I was absolutely appalled by the performance of America last night. That was the most unclassy performance of that I have ever seen. I for one believe they need to back to having retreats at every show and maybe there would have been less wrong notes. I also think corps staff need to hold there corps to a higher standard. That is a song that is meant to honor our wonderful country and that performance was awful. I am all for hitting the high note at the end but do it with some taste and not for the whole song. Also the over all tone quality was just bad. I am sure it was not all the corps of performers but those who were should be ashamed!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was quite a bit of goofing around while to Marine D&BC played them on as well. There is something called respect that a few corps seemed to lack. There were however several who were very mindful of the proper behavior.

Yeah, it was pretty much a disgrace to be honest..And it was only a select group which ruined it..Oh well.

Edited by Feathers Up

While I agree that all the screaming trumpets during "America..." gets annoying, ridiculous and (oftentimes) gross, I have to disagree a little. If this were being done with the National Anthem, I think there would be much more backlash. Even then, look at what all the pop singers have done when THEY sing the National Anthem--it's almost EXPECTED now that they're going to do those annoying American Idol-type riffs at the end. Is THAT considered offensive to you?

Also, let's put it into perspective a bit. By the time the corps play "America the Beautiful," scores have already been announced, the kids (and YES, they ARE STILL KIDS) know that their season is absolutely finished and 8 months of HARD toiling are over. Many of the kids are just trying to enjoy their final moment of the season, and in some cases that means playing tastelessly to OUR ears but with joy in THEIR hearts. If we take the poor performance of "America" as a slap to the audience's face, then we as an audience need to be a little less spineless.

While I agree that all the screaming trumpets during "America..." gets annoying, ridiculous and (oftentimes) gross, I have to disagree a little. If this were being done with the National Anthem, I think there would be much more backlash. Even then, look at what all the pop singers have done when THEY sing the National Anthem--it's almost EXPECTED now that they're going to do those annoying American Idol-type riffs at the end. Is THAT considered offensive to you?

Also, let's put it into perspective a bit. By the time the corps play "America the Beautiful," scores have already been announced, the kids (and YES, they ARE STILL KIDS) know that their season is absolutely finished and 8 months of HARD toiling are over. Many of the kids are just trying to enjoy their final moment of the season, and in some cases that means playing tastelessly to OUR ears but with joy in THEIR hearts. If we take the poor performance of "America" as a slap to the audience's face, then we as an audience need to be a little less spineless.

It wasn't just screaming trumpets...It was people just being stupid out there...Like the Scout mello earlier this year which was talked about...And I bet it would of sounded much better if played before the scores were announced..Just a guess. But a good guess.

I've heard worse.

I have a video of it, I'll try to put it up on Youtube later. I think at first it was someone coming from the Blue Devils (go figure), but then later it sounded like it was coming from another corps to the right of them.

I have a video of it, I'll try to put it up on Youtube later. I think at first it was someone coming from the Blue Devils (go figure), but then later it sounded like it was coming from another corps to the right of them.

It was Bluecoats..... lots of bluecoats