Class A 35 minimum rule

99% of this thread is for private conversations between DCA and member corps...

As for new corps receiving a rulebook... The book is made available to any corps who asks... we don't have the time to have someone dedicated to making sure every new director has a rulebook. This is not meant as a slam to any director - especially this director who I have a very high opinion of... but - if you were new to dca and had a brand new corps, how could you pass square one without asking for a rule book? Seems pretty basic to me and I can assure everyone that NO ONE was ever refused a book... We don't even charge for it...

Agreed....one of the first things I did last year was to get the rulebook (even though DCI rules are more applicable in out here)...it's not that difficult of a read.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone considered that $3,000 over 30 members is $100 PER MEMBER? Even at 100 members, that's still $30 PER MEMBER (per fine/show). As it is many of the smaller corps don't get ANY performance fees (or share points). And it generally runs the members $100 PER MEMBER PER SHOW in dues without the fines. More if you factor in meals and lodging, and sometimes transportation if that's not part of the dues. I could understand such fines in larger groups where performance fees >= fine. But for smaller corps where every action is already in the red, that's a death nail.

Ya know, in the USA you have to drive on the right-hand side of the road, obey the speed limit and obey traffic signals and signs. Get caught not doing this stuff and you end up with a fine. Law enforcement doesn't care that gas is expensive, you just bought a new house and your wife is filing for divorce. You didn't follow the rules. Don't like the rules? Don't drive.

Same goes for DCI, DCA, XYZ, etc.

Participation is a privledge, not a right.

go you.

Participation is a privledge, not a right.

They make the same argument for driving. But most cities do not have bike lanes, sidewalks, or public transportation needed to support a society that doesn't drive. And most jobs don't pay enough to take taxi's to work every morning. As I look at my checkbook with relation to DCA. Dues $350, Gas to camps $20 x 20, Gas to shows $50 x 3, Lodging $50 x2, and what do I get? A time slot at a venue x3. No pictures, no videos, no score (unless I do all that myself). As far as an organization "encouraging" growth, it seems like we're driving on the wrong side of the road to me.

They make the same argument for driving. But most cities do not have bike lanes, sidewalks, or public transportation needed to support a society that doesn't drive. And most jobs don't pay enough to take taxi's to work every morning. As I look at my checkbook with relation to DCA. Dues $350, Gas to camps $20 x 20, Gas to shows $50 x 3, Lodging $50 x2, and what do I get? A time slot at a venue x3. No pictures, no videos, no score (unless I do all that myself). As far as an organization "encouraging" growth, it seems like we're driving on the wrong side of the road to me.

then for the next rulkes congress, get a well worded proposal together and submit it to the voting body. if you feel the body will not vote for it, lobby. supply data that not only supports your view, but data that blows away the oppositions view.

the rule is what it is, and unless you get it changed thru the proper means, all the whining on here wont help. remember, this idea came from show sponsors.

Whatever happened to memories being priceless?

What are the names of the show sponsors that wanted this rule passed?

I'm sure someone will correct me, but I believe that all but two of the sanctioned DCA shows this season are sponsored by A DRUM CORPS. So I'm trying really hard to figure out just who the "show sponsors" are that we are protecting here.

For the record, I do plan to submit a well written rule change proposal regarding this rule, as I have seen and felt the effects first-hand this season. I welcome anyone who shares the feelings that this rule should be amended (or even those who support this rule) to PM me with your thoughts and concerns. I welcome both opinions because frankly, the rule was created for a reason, and though I don't agree with it, I hope that by the time we get to the rules congress, I can draft up a proposal that suits both sides of the arguement. Long shot, I know; but whining accomplishes nothing.