Class A 35 minimum rule

Boy alot of this sounds familiar!

Anyhow, trying to get a group together and putting it on the field from scratch is alot of work. When your small its even tougher.Small things effect the group to a much larger degree than a larger group.Epescially attendence and finances. Internal pressures to field, alot of times can lead to vulnerbilities and wrong choices. Setting a number was a good step to make the finished product better, on the national competetive level.What was left out was what to do with the groups under 35 and over 21. Exhibition is fine but a read by judges helps the group grow.As to sponsors, if they thought a new corps 22-34 could replace an establish draw, well? Its up to them who's in their shows anyhow. The bottom line is developement, this should be the expertise of a class A co-ordinator.Getting groups from point A to championships. The ability to start an All Age program is the best solution to the the decline of the activity.But like a garden if not tended right, with guidance from an experienced gardner, it will not bear good fruit and will eventually wither and die.

Sincerely,

Apprentice Gardner

At the show we appeared at, we were asked if we wanted judges tapes but we declined as we were only doing a standstill.

Performing at the show helped the members see what was out there and got everyone who went fired up to make our Corps Bigger and Better.

Posting our photos on the site helped recruiting immediatly. It showed the locals here that we are serious about the activity.

It takes a lot of guts to perform a modest standstill show when others are putting on full blown shows but it actually helped us for next season.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really want corps to get scores in the teens. Would that help the growth of a Corps. There are Corps that take the field with 15 people and stand there and they don't have a colorguard. It would be next to impossible to get a score much over 20.

That's one side of the coin. The other being judges saying corps has best horns/guard/drums in the region. And no score to determine how much better. Better by 0.01? Just being cordial, or serious about it? If you have all sections, and drill, why not? The only thing that seperates you from your potential competitors is few more members. In some instances, less than 10. But no real indication(score) on what sections need work on for next year when we do meet the minimum.

PS: Will some Corps please let Shadow in their Corps picture this year.

Irrelevant. Don't meet the 35 minimum, so it's already been determined that I WON'T be at DCA. So DCA is free to NOT record anything, and it has no bearing on me this year.

to those speculating on low scores...

It is impossible to achieve scores that low... (teens) If the bus driver found the stadium the score will be higher than that... I suggest that anyone with access to sheets read the boxes on the back... they are very clear... I'm not sure I've ever seen - well yeah, maybe once a long time ago - a box 1 corps overall...

I'm sure someone will correct me, but I believe that all but two of the sanctioned DCA shows this season are sponsored by A DRUM CORPS. So I'm trying really hard to figure out just who the "show sponsors" are that we are protecting here.

That would be interesting to know.

it is more than 2.

i can think of 4 right off the top of my head.

Maybe I can throw our hat in here as the unofficial (and in no way am I speaking for our corps, just presenting our situation) poster child of what can happen.

GCS, when all members are present, numbers 35 (+2DMs). One of our drummers is out this weekend because of a family commitment, so we're under numbers, and theoretically wouldn't be in competition. We're not scoring in the 20's by any means, and from all reports, we're quite entertaining. We have a few options for this weekend - we can put the backfield DM in a white jacket instead of her black one, and have her hit something in the pit as she passes by, or we can, as mentioned earlier, grab someone off the street, and have them hit something in the pit.

Our situation was kind of thrown at us unexpectedly - our 18 guard members from the winter through early summer kinda flaked out last minute, leaving us where we're at. Someone posted earlier that there are 4 corps not competing because of the 35 rule - I know of 2 others that are just squeaking by.

So, if you make it out to Hotlanta this weekend, give us a listen, and wave at my daughter in the pit during her first corps performance!

So, if you make it out to Hotlanta this weekend, give us a listen, and wave at my daughter in the pit during her first corps performance!

Great Job.Anything to keep your corps on the field. :lol:

to say that Gulf Coast is "acceptable" is putting it mildly... you have put together a fine and entertaining program... I know you'll make things work...

to say that Gulf Coast is "acceptable" is putting it mildly... you have put together a fine and entertaining program... I know you'll make things work...

I espied GCS in Hendersonville, TN, and look forward to two more viewings this weekend in Georgia of Rock, Part Deaux. Gulf Coast, like their earlier Bayou City Blues cousins, know how to bring the house down with the numbers they have. Can't wait to wave to the rookie in the pit.

Maybe I can throw our hat in here as the unofficial (and in no way am I speaking for our corps, just presenting our situation) poster child of what can happen.

GCS, when all members are present, numbers 35 (+2DMs). One of our drummers is out this weekend because of a family commitment, so we're under numbers, and theoretically wouldn't be in competition. We're not scoring in the 20's by any means, and from all reports, we're quite entertaining. We have a few options for this weekend - we can put the backfield DM in a white jacket instead of her black one, and have her hit something in the pit as she passes by, or we can, as mentioned earlier, grab someone off the street, and have them hit something in the pit.

Our situation was kind of thrown at us unexpectedly - our 18 guard members from the winter through early summer kinda flaked out last minute, leaving us where we're at. Someone posted earlier that there are 4 corps not competing because of the 35 rule - I know of 2 others that are just squeaking by.

" WAY TO GO G.C.S. ! "

Good Luck to you, and your New Member!