Phantom Regiment guard rumor

Usually, personnel matters are private between an employer and an employee. If somebody isn't working for somebody anymore, it's usually anybody's guess as to the reason; i.e., if somebody was pushed or if they jumped. Using the words "let go", to some, could imply a situation other than resignation.

Exactly - it's a personal matter. But I find it funny that the OP posted this here on the forum and then even followed up saying it was a personal matter. Um, if it's personal, why did he open the can of worms in here in the first place?

Really classy. Add this to the list of classy PR management blunders. Right after David St. Angel flipping everyone off in 1989 and getting caught on live television when they came in 2nd place.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly - it's a personal matter. But I find it funny that the OP posted this here on the forum and then even followed up saying it was a personal matter. Um, if it's personal, why did he open the can of worms in here in the first place?

Really classy. Add this to the list of classy PR management blunders. Right after David St. Angel flipping everyone off in 1989 and getting caught on live television when they came in 2nd place.

St Angel got caught flipping everyone off in 1992, when they got 8th place, not in 1989, and that has absolutely nothing to do with this situation, nor the current "management" of Phantom Regiment.

In my opinion, it is extremely unprofessional to come on a public forum and announce that a member of a corps staff has been "let go". It is fine to sa that PR and AS have agreed to part ways, but to use the "let go" phrase certainly indicates a firing. Very classless move.

Absolutely 100% agreement on this!

Adam Sage is now the drum corps equivalent of Trent Dilfer!

I would also venture to say that this entire situation has now reached a larger audience with the announcement that they won't be fielding a winterguard this year. While that does happen fairly regularly (Pride of Cincinatti announced they wouldn't field a unit a few months ago) the circumstances surrounding this particular announcement are sure to cause lots of talking.

I feel badly for those members who had made plans to march with Phantom this winter as well. Many people literally base their residence off of where they would like to march for a season. Meaning that it isn't out of the question for someone to have moved to the Atlanta area in order to march this winter. And now this bomb gets dropped just a few weeks before auditions are beginning. Whereas this was a very appropriate time to make such a change as far as the drum corps goes, it probably couldn't have come at a worse time as far as the winterguard is concerned. Especially when Phantom has really been promoting their guard and its strong showing in World Class the past two seasons in Dayton.

I think it is at least safe to say that this news is getting some very negative publicity for Phantom at a time when they could have been capitalizing one hundred percent on their win. As has been stated--seems like less than professional managing to me. And well, perception is reality, right?

No offense, but if there is a large group of posters on here who believe it reflects negatively on Phantom, then it does.

Looks like there's hope for the "moon-landing hoax believers" and the "Flat Earth Society" after all!

(i.e., just because a crowd of people say something... ESPECIALLY on DCP, doesn't make it so.)

Also, in the corporate world, you NEVER say someone was let go unless you absolutely have to for legal or CYA (cover your a**) reasons. Even if someone calls you for a reference check and asked why they are no longer working there, you should only confirm employment start and stop dates and that is it. Don;t say anything else. The way the OP handled this, and if Adam Sage really wanted to, I bet he could now take PR to court for defamation of character under libel laws. I know it's silly, but it has happened.

I’ve obviously made my opinion clear that this wasn’t handled perfectly, but the notion of a lawsuit based on this announcement is a bit extreme and almost certainly without merit. I presume the announcement is factual… i.e., that Phantom terminated Adam Sage. Disclosing factual information, even in an employment reference, is a highly defensible position. (In fact, in many states during an employment reference, an employer has a legal responsibility to disclose more than start and end dates for employees under certain circumstances … e.g., the employee had exhibited acts of violence, etc.) However, it is always safest and highly recommended to stick to the bare basics… a generic, non-positional, but factual disclosure. That's the memo I don't think Greg Newell received.

Not quite. A simple confirmation could have been worded something like, "You are correct. Adam is no longer with Phantom Regiment." But by wording it the way the OP did, it goes beyond confirmation and adds spin/bias into the statement.

Also, in the corporate world, you NEVER say someone was let go unless you absolutely have to for legal or CYA (cover your a**) reasons. Even if someone calls you for a reference check and asked why they are no longer working there, you should only confirm employment start and stop dates and that is it. Don;t say anything else. The way the OP handled this, and if Adam Sage really wanted to, I bet he could now take PR to court for defamation of character under libel laws. I know it's silly, but it has happened.

see, that is absolutely not how i read it. this is just a bunch of pot stirring, end of story. i saw "adam sage was let go," and read "adam sage, regiment, splitsville."

i am literally at a lose for words over this whole thing. people are calling two very regular and unassuming words "the biggest blunder regiment has ever made." give me a ####### break.

and can someone fill me in on this conspiracy theory regarding valenzuela?

If anything, the initial post here was responding in kind to someone who decided to post a rumour a few days about staff changes at Phantom Regiment.

Rather than let that rumour perpetuate itself here, that thread was closed (keep in mind that this applies to all rumour threads on DCP that deal with staff being "let go/picked up").

However, since the "cat was already out of the bag" already, there's no harm in having an official announcement after the fact that states, factually, what occurred. As a matter of fact, I'd say that it's preferable to hear these kinds of things straight from the source itself, rather than deal in whispers in the bleachers.

Anything further that you read into it . . .well, I just don't get it. :drool:

If anything, the initial post here was responding in kind to someone who decided to post a rumour a few days about staff changed at Phantom Regiment.

Rather than let that rumour perpetuate itself here, that thread was closed (keep in mind that this applies to all rumour threads on DCP that deal with staff being "let go/picked up").

However, since the "cat was already out of the bag" already, there's no harm in having an official announcement after the fact that states, factually, what occurred. As a matter of fact, I'd say that it's preferable to hear these kinds of things straight from the source itself, rather than deal in whispers in the bleachers.

Anything further that you read into it . . .well, I just don't get it. :drool:

I honestly believe (or I’d at least like to believe) Greg Newell simply chose the wrong words in responding to the “rumor.” However, the link in his original post, the one in which the cat was let out of the bag, refers to a topic that was started that asserted Adam Sage “resigned.” Replying to that “rumor” by stating Adam Sage was “let go” is the source of the criticism. So the "cat" that was out of the bag turned out to be an entirely different cat. Nonetheless, the poor (and ill-advised) wording is the source of the controversy or criticism because it really serves no positive purpose for Phatom Regiment (unless they needed to go on record he was being terminated for very serious issues (e.g, legal etc.), which I suspect isn't the case.)