Future DCA Championships.

You hit the nail on the head!

TOM UR aqre trully..da bomb!

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay fine we don't move it, leave it in the NE. But charge the NE corps evenly what the other corps pay in fuel costs. Set up a system that spreads the cost evenly through all the corps. If they can't come up with the cash A, they need to fire their financial money, and B, they shouldn't be allowed to compete. It's not a fair system, but neither is our current one. East coast corps, go to more shows, are in front of judging panels more, and get paid more then other corps (because they go to more shows) and yet they have less then a 10th of the travel costs of any non East coast corps. So fine, move it to Maine for all I care, just adjust the system, because bottom line DCA seems to at worst have a prejudice against non East Coast Corps, and at the very best dosen't give a rat's ### about them.

You couldn't be further off! Just because DCA has HISTORICALLY been a Northeast activity, does not mean it is a Northeast EXCLUSIVE activity. I had to listen to similar arguments in the thread about the "35 member rule." Basically, the pessimist who shall remain nameless claimed that if corps with less than 35 members aren't allowed to compete, it just goes to show that DCA doesn't care about those corps and is biased against those corps. Same thing applies here. The current situation is what it is and nothing more. DCA is held annually in some Northeast location because it has always been done so. The greater percentage of corps are here as is the majority of the annual fan base. If you want to change this, do what you need to change it. But for Heaven's sake, please stop crying "FOUL!" every time things aren't done to your liking. Renegades were the first corps to make the trek from CA. The world did not stop turning and say, "hey, there is 1 corps coming from the other side of the country. Let's pick up and move over there!!" Didn't happen for corps from Minnesota, Florida, Ontario, or Japan either. But when the corps from the South and Midwest decided they wanted to play, they built up their regions and developed new corps and a fan base. Now they hold regional shows and can do a lot more. The same thing can be done out West. Give it time. Sooner or later, (if you keep working at it), there will be several corps out West, and regional shows will be a reality. As the South and Midwest continue to expand, the gap will get smaller. Eventually, DCA could truly be a nationwide circuit. But don't expect a DCA Championship in California anytime too soon. Some Northeast corps would probably be willing to travel (regardless of what you might think) but the circuit as a whole could live without 2 California corps, before it could stand to lose the 8,000 or so fans at DCA Finals.

(Note: the statement above is not a smack on CA corps. Just stating the obvious fact that expecting 20+ corps to make significant increases to their travel expenses just so that 2 or 3 don't have to is kind of ludicrous.)

greater number of corps....used to be. now I do not believe so. But until the fan base is built up in the regions to overcome the loss of those who won't travel, then yes, it should stay in this region.

however, when the regions can show the attendance...then yes move it.

because remember if you don't have ##### in the seats at finals, no corps make money.

the Bucs. the corps and the football team can battle it out.

:hehe::tongue::tongue:

My pick: Bucs by 2 TD's :rolleyes:

Perspective please:

San Francisco to Rochester:

2721.04 miles, 40+ hours in travel.

No offense, but 6 1/2 hours to a show...doesn't impress. You guys throwing times for travel out there simply make the point for us West Coasters that the travel is excessive to get to finals. Now, when you start a corps on the West coast, you are right, we KNOW that to get to finals travel will be AT LEAST twice the cost and time what it is for closer corps.

I think the idea of cost-sharing across the organization is a fair one. Why not? It ensures an equal playing field. Nobody has to fundraise above and beyond to make it to finals. Maybe a travel subsidy (for finals only) relative to the distance from the event?

I think the idea of cost-sharing across the organization is a fair one. Why not? It ensures an equal playing field. Nobody has to fundraise above and beyond to make it to finals. Maybe a travel subsidy (for finals only) relative to the distance from the event?

not a bad idea,.............look at it this way,.............if finals stay in Paetec Park, and the seating is expanded as planned, the ability to sell another couple thousand seats for finals at approx. 50 bucks equals another 100k, and might add some validity to this idea...............move finals to a place that sells less seats than DCA does now, and you are heading in the wrong direction,.........

Wow, I wonder if DCI had the same attitude, i.e. "We could live without the 2 California corps"...where would they be today. I question the intelligence of someone to even have the capacity to post that statement.

For the fan base, I'm sure many in DCI thought the same---there aren't any West Coast/California fans. Pasadena sure proved them wrong, and guess what: IT DOESN'T RAIN IN CALIFORNIA IN THE SUMMER PEOPLE!!!! (there's a news flash for the rest of the 49 states).

That being said:

I would personally like to see DCA move OUT of the greater northeast and move to the midwest, i.e. Chicago area would be great. California would be better, but I'm a realist.

Maybe someone posted all of this before in the 700 pages of this thead, if so, I just thought it should be repeated (again!).

and if the midwest could guarantee 7-10k fans to help ensure the corps make money, i'm all for it!!!

Just to put some perspective on this "travel" business: (picked a typical West, Northeast, and South corps for comparison)

SF Renegades' regular season travel (excluding Finals): about 1,470 miles round-trip

Reading Buccaneers' regular season travel (excluding Finals): about 1,810 miles round-trip

Shenandoah Sound's regular season travel (excluding Finals): about 3,100 miles roundtrip

SF Renegades' to Rochester: about 2,721 miles one-way

Reading Buccaneers' one-way to Rochester: about 265 miles one-way

Shenandoah Sound's one-way to Rochester: about 395 miles one-way

SF Renegades' total annual travel: about 6,912 miles round-trip

Reading Buccaneers' total annual travel: about 2,340 miles round-trip

Shenandoah Sound's total annual travel: about 3,892 miles round-trip

The one huge trip the West coast corps make each year doesn't impress me as much when I know that I'm traveling more than double the distance they are for the 9 or 10 weeks prior to Championships. Remember, in the same way that the average show out there doesn't pay you, neither do the average South shows. But going to Rochester yields a paycheck.

Just to put some perspective on this "travel" business: (picked a typical West, Northeast, and South corps for comparison)

SF Renegades' regular season travel (excluding Finals): about 1,470 miles round-trip

Reading Buccaneers' regular season travel (excluding Finals): about 1,810 miles round-trip

Shenandoah Sound's regular season travel (excluding Finals): about 3,100 miles roundtrip

SF Renegades' to Rochester: about 2,721 miles one-way

Reading Buccaneers' one-way to Rochester: about 265 miles one-way

Shenandoah Sound's one-way to Rochester: about 395 miles one-way

SF Renegades' total annual travel: about 6,912 miles round-trip

Reading Buccaneers' total annual travel: about 2,340 miles round-trip

Shenandoah Sound's total annual travel: about 3,892 miles round-trip

The one huge trip the West coast corps make each year doesn't impress me as much when I know that I'm traveling more than double the distance they are for the 9 or 10 weeks prior to Championships. Remember, in the same way that the average show out there doesn't pay you, neither do the average South shows. But going to Rochester yields a paycheck.

Excellent points Sayre,............however, maybe consideration could be given for proximity to the finals location