Future DCA Championships.

Do the Renegades' members pay the cost directly for traveling via airliner to Rochester? Or does the corps pay for that travel (via fundraisers and dues, which I would call INdirect costs to members)?

Dunno...one of the 'Gades would be better to answer that...I DO remember the $100K figure thrown out one year.

In 06 Dream's fees were around the $1000 mark per member, which MOSTLY covered our travel...I don't remember any indirect fiunding that year.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno...one of the 'Gades would be better to answer that...I DO remember the $100K figure thrown out one year.

In 06 Dream's fees were around the $1000 mark per member, which MOSTLY covered our travel...I don't remember any indirect fiunding that year.

I'm not expert on every NE corps, but of the ones I do have some knowledge, their dues are a lot less than that, but all travel $$ is on the members. And I would think that most members spend at least $1000 traveling just to shows. Most corps in NE do about 8-9 shows - including Finals weekend, so $125 average per weekend isn't outrageous. And, that doesn't include their dues. (I'm assuming that the $1000 for Dream included hotel and bus in Rochester too?)

If someone was well-situated: meaning close to a bus pick-up point, or carpooled with several other members, slept on gym floors when available, they might save serious $$$ in travel, but most of us aren't that lucky.

Just based upon that info, it sounds like this all washes out. No corps has an advantage or disadvantage for travelling. Yes, the pain is more visible in the one weekend that the non-NE have to wing it to ROC, rather than being spread out across the 2+ months of the whole season. Personally, I'd like to bring the entertainment of Cabs, Brigs, ES, et al, to Atlanta, California, Dallas, and/or Minnesota. Maybe, after I win the Powerball, but I'm not holding my breath.

Imagine a scene like out of Smokey and the Bandit [Where Big Enos Burdette asks Bandit (Burt Reynolds) what he needs to get the bootleg beer from Texarkana to Atlanta in 28 hours. Bandit says, "New car. Gotta have a new car to block for the truck." Little Enos starts counting out the $100 bills, and Bandit says, "Speedy." Little Enos stops. Bandit says, "Speedier than that!" Little Enos keeps counting.]:

Drum corps fan/Powerball winner: "So, how much to get your corps from NJ to SoCal this weekend?"

Corps director: "Big, new bus."

Moneybags starts counting out bills, stops.

Director: "And a new, A/C equipment truck."

Counts some more, stops again.

"And, new perc equipment.... A new set of horns.... And, a new...."

PS - So many movie references for today. Hmmmm......

Edited by Dale Bari

(I'm assuming that the $1000 for Dream included hotel and bus in Rochester too?)

No it does not. In 2006 our fees were $1190 and did include busses, hotels and air fare. The cost for this rose in 2007 to $1350. Last season our dues were $875 which included the bus for our 1000+ mile round trip weekend to NorCal shows and the bus in Rochester. However, air travel, hotels and travel to all other shows are separate.

I believe the Renegades are set up in a similar fashion but of course I can not say that for a fact.

I'm not expert on every NE corps, but of the ones I do have some knowledge, their dues are a lot less than that, but all travel $$ is on the members. And I would think that most members spend at least $1000 traveling just to shows. Most corps in NE do about 8-9 shows - including Finals weekend, so $125 average per weekend isn't outrageous. And, that doesn't include their dues. (I'm assuming that the $1000 for Dream included hotel and bus in Rochester too?)

If someone was well-situated: meaning close to a bus pick-up point, or carpooled with several other members, slept on gym floors when available, they might save serious $$$ in travel, but most of us aren't that lucky.

Just based upon that info, it sounds like this all washes out. No corps has an advantage or disadvantage for travelling. Yes, the pain is more visible in the one weekend that the non-NE have to wing it to ROC, rather than being spread out across the 2+ months of the whole season. Personally, I'd like to bring the entertainment of Cabs, Brigs, ES, et al, to Atlanta, California, Dallas, and/or Minnesota. Maybe, after I win the Powerball, but I'm not holding my breath.

Drum corps fan/Powerball winner: "So, how much to get your corps from NJ to SoCal this weekend?"

Corps director: "Big, new bus."

Moneybags starts counting out bills, stops.

Director: "And a new, A/C equipment truck."

Counts some more, stops again.

"And, new perc equipment.... A new set of horns.... And, a new...."

PS - So many movie references for today. Hmmmm......

:wub:

I have hesitated on commenting about the banter back and forth across this thread by both (or all sides) of the debate.. Dale has struck the nail as close as anyone east of the Ozarks has so far..

I have always had the feeling it was not the time factor as much as the money the NE corps would have to spend to make a trip to parts West or South for a championship. All I hear from the established naysayers has been - "Grow your region, develop your fan base, then we'll see"..OK, for the most part, I agree with that..always have..BUT - Since the "big boys" haven't ventured into the "Twilight Zone" (or Outer Limits, take your pick) in quite a while, the ability of anybody outside of the NE to 'sell' a show without a 'draw' corps (re-the DCI boys) is extremely difficult.

IF ONLY ONE of those All-Age corps that folks in the Midwest can only tell tales about...were to work at making the trip once in a while, it would stand to reason that despite the expense, the fans who have never been able to see them would create interest.

I am not selfish here, I'd like to see my alma mater make more trips East, because I know that having them in a DCA show out East wouldn't hurt a turn out, with the more experienced DCA fans of course..

The idea of a show 'out West' is obviously going to take some creative scheduling and funding on the part of the show organizers, as well as the possible group or groups making the trip..

Otherwise, we'll have to wait for me or Dale to win the Powerball :tongue:

Then we all play Little Enos Burdette.

Pat

After reading Pats' reply a stray brain cell kicked in with two quick questions....

1) What is the greatest distance for a DCA show run with DCA judges? Tom P had what might be the answer but can't remember the details. All I remember is the Hades of a flight home he had.

2) What was the greatest distance "back in the day"? DCA had a pair of shows in Canton, OH back in 78 and 79 that we attended. Corps I remember were Crusaders, Chicago Connection, Buccs (who did they tick off?), Westshoremen (we were new to DCA and paying our dues) and Thunderbirds. Then next day was an afternoon show at Erie with the same corps (minus ChiConn).

Heh, just remembered White Sabers did a standstill exhibition at one of the Erie shows.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

For the most part, I believe Winston-Salem was a missed opportunity to answer some of the questions being posed here. I came away from that experience convinced it was worth a try.

I believe you are correct.

Had the Weather (Rain-Wind-Lightning) not interfered. Just an hour or so before. Delaying the start, of the Big show that WAS to be an indicator of what a walk up crowd could be. (Had: Reading Buccaneers-Renegades-Hurricanes-Bushwakers-Heat Wave-CorpsVets-Carolina Gold. 30 July '05) West vs South vs Northeast, in one nice show!

The Winston-Salem bid for the DCA Championships would have had a Better foot to stand on

They had Very BIG community support. TV, News paper support. Business support. ETC. ETC., for BOTH events.

Winston-Salem, North Carolina - 30 July 2005

1 Reading Buccaneers - PA----89.013

2 Bushwackers-NJ---------------84.563

3 Renegades-Calif---------------84.475

4 CorpsVets-GA------------------76.688

5 Connecticut Hurricanes-CT--73.913

6 Carolina Gold-NC--------------73.325

7 Heat Wave-FLA----------------61.850

Edited by OldStyleCorps

After reading Pats' reply a stray brain cell kicked in with two quick questions....

1) What is the greatest distance for a DCA show run with DCA judges? Tom P had what might be the answer but can't remember the details. All I remember is the Hades of a flight home he had.

2) What was the greatest distance "back in the day"? DCA had a pair of shows in Canton, OH back in 78 and 79 that we attended. Corps I remember were Crusaders, Chicago Connection, Buccs (who did they tick off?), Westshoremen (we were new to DCA and paying our dues) and Thunderbirds. Then next day was an afternoon show at Erie with the same corps (minus ChiConn).

Heh, just remembered White Sabers did a standstill exhibition at one of the Erie shows.

Actually Chicago was in Erie that Sunday,............I clearly remember that,..........oh,...........and have some photos,..........

Actually Chicago was in Erie that Sunday,............I clearly remember that,..........oh,...........and have some photos,..........

OK, I was kinda busy..... :tongue:

Thanks, OldStyle.

I thought the crowd was rather large considering heavy rain right up to the time the gates opened. More importantly, the fans I watched enter were NOT typical drum corps fans. I saw several high school groups (some kids with drumsticks in their back pockets, etc.) Also, many unassuming locals with whom I spoke. It was a strong local showing.

Oh, well.