Phantom Drill

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

uhhhh.....2007? they ran all over the field last year too.

guess the whole "needing big names on design staff" theory was blown to #### this season, thanks to phantom's drill writer....congrats to him.

1993?

Here's how I see it, they all lead to great things

The Cavaliers use visuals to carry their programs forward

Blue Devils use music to carry their programs forward

Phantom Regiment uses music to carry their programs forward

The Cadets do both.

Santa Clara Vanguard have been using more visual

Crazy drill just doesn't seem to be in Phantom's blood. They're phenomenal without the Gaines, Sacktig, Weber/Rosander approaches. I think it'd look awkward to see them do insane pass-throughs and diamond cutters. They're more about majesty and a subliminal expression.

I doubt Hi-Cam is their most watched angle on the DVDs.

Edited by ZealJ03

There's a difference between crazy drill, and drill that looks crazy. Good drill writers make drill look crazy, when it's actually quite easy. Cavaliers are the first corps that comes to mind when I think of effective drill.

Phantom's drill is awesome. Cavies have their geometric stuff, BD has their abstract ideas, and Phantom has this musical/literal thing about their drill. When it's just music going on their drill is absolutely amazing, not because of its design but because of its velocity. They are moving as fast as the music is going (not tempo but notes), and when it's time for a big hit they just take the drill and make it as literal as possible. In Faust it was the pentagram and the Chevron, this year it was the Coliseum and at one point the sword. In 07 it was an awesome hybrid of both with the jazz running ending...it's birds flying everywhere (literal) and members flying across the field at the same time.

Phantom's drill is amazing for its complexity. It may not always go with the music like people want it to, but it goes with the theme incredibly! Nick Scotella does an amazing job, and he was the perfect person to succeed Jamie Thompson. Scotella's drill feels like a fast, high intensity version of Thompson's, and that's definitely the direction this corps needed to go in 08!

Phantom + Drill = GREAT

When is the last time PR had to super crazy drill, for a show?????

duh 2007...ever seen that clip on that one website where regiment is jazz running the closer from last year? search phantom regiment: look what we did all summer, finals week...kick a.

I think Phantom's drill showcases their athleticism. Whenever, I watch any of their shows of late, I always think "Wow, that must take a lot of stamina and POWER."

no it's not part of the show, besides the music...

Very impressive. :lol: