Why do you love Crown?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could say exactly the same about Crown 2008

Those arrangements are as faithful to the original pieces in terms of scoring as a drum corps arrangement can be. If you said that about Crown 2008, you would be absolutely wrong.

Well frankly I don't see anything wrong with any type of music any corps decides to put on the field. As long as they perform it to the best of their ability and the show is well designed, I'm all for it, accessible or not.

Well frankly I don't see anything wrong with any type of music any corps decides to put on the field. As long as they perform it to the best of their ability and the show is well designed, I'm all for it, accessible or not.

Interesting...I'm the total opposite. I demand musical quality in repertoire and arrangement because that was the standard I have become used to in DCI from the late '70s to the late '90s. There's no reason to step down from that standard just because times are different.

*ding* *ding* *ding* we have a winner!!!

the only problem i have with this years show imo, is it seems like theyre just begging for fans to jump on their wagon playing super friendly songs. but hey if its working for them, and they keep climbing the list, then have at it. the only other reason i think that people have just fallin in love with them is because they are new to the top and its nice to see someone other than bd and cavies always on top.

BUT they do everything extremely well. from the drill to the guard and of course their incredible brass sound they are becoming that 'complete package' to win take it all.

oh and get rid of the brown plumes please!

Edited by doyle079

Interesting...I'm the total opposite. I demand musical quality in repertoire and arrangement because that was the standard I have become used to in DCI from the late '70s to the late '90s. There's no reason to step down from that standard just because times are different.

Hold on a second. Who says they're stepping down? There has been many shows in the past few years that have been HIGH quality IMO mainly because the music they performed was coupled with a "package" that was well designed.

I love Crown because they are awesome. They have been steadily improving over the last 2 decades. I have loved every show of theirs except one(I wasn't thrilled with Bohemia-it was performed great, just didn't care for the music)

I think their design team has done a fantastic job, and the people representing their corps have been amazing. Talking with their souvie people this year, all they cared about it seemed, was pleasing the fans. They weren't worried about scores or placements. I mean, I am sure they are excited to place well, but talking to them, they are more concerned on what we, the fans, want, more than what the judges like.

I think they exhibit class on and off the field, and they put out some of the most enjoyable shows that I have seen in the last decade. The last 3 years, they have had a show that was in my top 4 favorites of the year.

I remember preseason hearing and seeing clips of their 2008 show. I really thought this show was gonna bite the big one. I thought it was going to be lame and cheesy. I wasn't expecting to like it anywhere near as well as the last 2 years shows. But then I saw it live, and loved it, and saw it a week later, and loved it even more. This turned out to be one of the biggest and best surprises of the 2008 season.

It also doesn't hurt that I used to live in the same town with 2 of their staff members. And having known of the class of this family since the late 80's, it doesn't surprise me to see them on staff with such a wonderful group representing DCI so well.

Congrats to Crown and all they have accomplished over the last few years. I can't wait to see what they put on the field for next year.

And we all know the minority must be squashed in favor of the majority :smile:

It's a shame, but I'd probably be a greater fan of Crown if it weren't for posts like yours. I didn't care for this year's show, either. I liked what they were doing from 2004-2006 a lot more.

And I totally defend your right to your opinion.....this isn't China..........

tons of people loved Crown this year.....you didn't......no problem.....

I didn't "squash" your opinion, just stated the facts...........just because

someone likes something and the other doesn't, does not make

either party "wrong"........I don't like asparagus, but some love it.....

GB

The "Toccata" part is loosely based on Sweeney Todd, mainly in the first chord progression. That's about it.
You must have missed my post where I said that I called Crown myself earlier today to clear it this up.

To repeat, they did not play Sweeney Todd this year. That section everyone refers to was an original composition based on the Toccata and Fugue. The marching members may have referred to it as Sweeney because "Epiphany" was also based on the Toccata and Fugue.

If you were to listen to, as one of '08 members called it, the "impact point" and "Epiphany" side by side, you'll hear the differences.