Drum Corps Bloopers!

I will tell this story purposefully vaguely to avoid naming anyone.

In the 90s PC had a particularly horrible marcher. After the first show, it smelled really bad marching off the field. Staff walking by as we exit the stadium ask jokingly, "Did you #### yourselves?" After further contemplation, and sniffing, he asks, "Ok, who #### in their uniform?" Our horrible marcher was nearest to him and indicated that he had in fact soiled his uniform.

We cut him from the corps - we probably should have earlier, but we needed the bodies in those days. However he still wanted to be in the corps even if we wouldn't let him march. So we made him corps photographer.

At the RCC show he was front and center in the stands to take a picture of our DM salute. After snapping the picture he started to run as fast as he could up the stands to get shots from the press box. During the DM's count-off he ate it HARD on the stairs and fell back a few rows. He was ok and got up and kept running, but our on the field reaction made for a horrible first note.

Also in those years we had marching band hand-me-downs thrown together to make a uniform. The first show after we added some body movement in, a girl in the mellophone section ripped the inseam of these ancient pants from her knee on up. She was beet red as we trooped the stands with one cheek hanging out!

Edited by PCSoprano9702

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not drum corps, but college marching band--attendance around 55,000 at this particular football game. The visiting band was performing (first) and we, the home band, were kneeling on the sidelines, to go on after they finished. I'm right on the 50 yard line, and their featured twirler is performing right in front of me. She was a really pretty girl and very accomplished twirler--had won the national title. This was in the day of halter-style costumes--no shoulders--meaning nothing to pin bra straps to. Well she must have pinned some kind of stiff bra inside her uniform, because just as they start to march off the field, she all of a sudden has TWO sets of boobs!!! One small set in the normal place, and a larger set just below them. :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Biggest blooper performance I've experienced during a show was when the drum major forgot to conduct approx 2 min of our show and moved right on to the ballad, skipping an entire segment of the show. :tongue:

We had scatter drill written in at the end of that missing segment going into the ballad, so we scattered to the beginning of the ballad once we realized he was conducting the wrong song......our reaction on the field was classic- "omg what do we do?!!!!? He's playing the wrong song!!!! effing run!!! RUN!!!!!!!" with nearly every guard member yelling "RUN!!!!!" to the people near them.

And somehow we pulled it off! We didn't get a timing penalty as the show was still a few seconds over the minimum time.

The crowd had no idea that anything was missing, and IIRC, we also won that show.

I can think of others, but they all pale in comparison to this one.

So far the best..... :tongue:

That's all I can really think of for now...

Michael Terry

Cadets baritone 2000-2007

I noticed that you "conveniently" forgot your impressive fall and recovery on the slick field at Allentown! I can't even remember the year, but don't forget - there is video documentation of that one! :tongue: And didn't you have another fall in Pittsburgh (maybe a different year) where your horn flew out of your hands and stuck up in the ground by the lead pipe?

OK...I almost feel like a traitor, since the Trooper Sunburst is 'always perfect'....HOWEVER...

1980..we were at Michigan City; and I do not remember whether we had just added a 8-ct segment of battery before the burst or just a brain fade; but somehow Side 1 and Side 2 got EXACTLY 4 counts apart in the explosion. I remember hearing the other side behind up and thinking...WTF???

So was John Masterson, who was on the verge of pulling his pistol. :smile: We got it back together in the break before Ghost Riders...but man, it was pretty bloody in the huddle after the show...

Biggest blooper performance I've experienced during a show was when the drum major forgot to conduct approx 2 min of our show and moved right on to the ballad, skipping an entire segment of the show. :smile:

We had scatter drill written in at the end of that missing segment going into the ballad, so we scattered to the beginning of the ballad once we realized he was conducting the wrong song......our reaction on the field was classic- "omg what do we do?!!!!? He's playing the wrong song!!!! effing run!!! RUN!!!!!!!" with nearly every guard member yelling "RUN!!!!!" to the people near them.

And somehow we pulled it off! We didn't get a timing penalty as the show was still a few seconds over the minimum time.

The crowd had no idea that anything was missing, and IIRC, we also won that show.

I can think of others, but they all pale in comparison to this one.

OMG, how amazing that you recovered so brilliantly from what could've been a really awful train wreck! :worthy:

Any idea when/where this show was? It would be cool to see if anyone here on DCP was there and had a clue as to what was happening.

For all of the winter camps, move in, and the first week of tour for the '08 Blue Stars, the ending of the first mixed meter halt was 4 counts. So at the first rehearsal day of the season, Brad Green has decided to change it to 6 counts. We did the set into the mixed-meter, the mixed-meter, and the set after, which we would stop and do over if somebody came in early. We proceeded to do this for about an hour, as somebody would come in early every time. And if you did, you would take a lap and miss the next rep. I personal took 3 laps, but I know at least one person did 5. It would just be "1-2-3-4-dAH" CUT, RESET, and two/five/ten people would go running to the side line to take a lap.

If anyone would like to clarify this one, I'm just an observer... on the '91 finals video of Phantom's show; for the end of their show they toss the helmets on the field. Well, if you watchthe finals video, on the right side of the screen, you can see what looks pretty close to a horn going across the field. Any members want to clarify that story for me?

If anyone would like to clarify this one, I'm just an observer... on the '91 finals video of Phantom's show; for the end of their show they toss the helmets on the field. Well, if you watchthe finals video, on the right side of the screen, you can see what looks pretty close to a horn going across the field. Any members want to clarify that story for me?

It WAS a horn...either a sop or a bari. The story I always heard is that it was a personal horn, not belonging to the corps...but that may be wrong.

I remember my heart leaping into my throat when I realized what it was!

From what I remember hearing about that story, the person was promised a case of beer if he threw his horn after the show. The corps was getting new horns in any case and I think maybe switching from 2 to 3 valves? Sure enough the end of the show comes, and I think he got about 15 yards with it!