Drum Corps Bloopers!

1992 Finals - Cavaliers first winning DCI show, after the end of the Gavorkna Fanfare opener and the solo field tom starts for the beginning of the second production and a brass intro begins.

A Cavies fan yells out "92 champions!" and then another fan, apparently someone pulling for Star, shoots back a loud verbal "bird" - it's plain as day in the recordings including the DVD.

Oh man....I had never heard the F bomb reply before!!! Funny!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to recall reading a story on this board years ago about a mello soloist coming up to the front, losing his mouthpiece, and immediayely stealing one from the mello next to him in time to do the solo!!

That just jogged a couple of brain cells. We (Silver Sabres) had a soprano soloist go up and his mouthpiece flew out of the reciever on the horn. He just stood there !

I think I've mentioned this one before, but it was second show of the season..(you know, early June, BITD) in either Geneseo or Canton, IL. There was a spot in our opener where all four contras were in a small front right behind the drumline. We were to wait 16 counts and turn and go backfield in an arc. Walt, the senior horn, spaced, and took off too early. I was next to him, I waited 4 counts, the next guy waited another 4 and so forth for the 4th player. We watched each other, "talked with out eyes", adjusted our arcs, and hit the push at the right time. Judges never knew the difference ! :lookaround:

That just jogged a couple of brain cells. We (Silver Sabres) had a soprano soloist go up and his mouthpiece flew out of the reciever on the horn. He just stood there !

I think I've mentioned this one before, but it was second show of the season..(you know, early June, BITD) in either Geneseo or Canton, IL. There was a spot in our opener where all four contras were in a small front right behind the drumline. We were to wait 16 counts and turn and go backfield in an arc. Walt, the senior horn, spaced, and took off too early. I was next to him, I waited 4 counts, the next guy waited another 4 and so forth for the 4th player. We watched each other, "talked with out eyes", adjusted our arcs, and hit the push at the right time. Judges never knew the difference ! :lookaround:

Heh....don't you just love it when all the minds think as one?? And teh scary thing is...if that was aplanned move in the show, you would've screwed it up while learning it! :sad:

What? No mention of the infamous Whitewater wipe out that the Gahfield Cadets had in what year was that? What was cool was they got back up as soon as they fell down like dominos. :lookaround:

But that 92 VK Shark story is hilarious! :sad:

Edited by Lancerlady

I wonder if the visual judges gave you any comments for such an "organized step-off"? :sad:

What? No mention of the infamous Whitewater wipe out that the Gahfield Cadets had in what year was that? What was cool was they got back up as soon as they fell down like dominos. :lookaround:

1984...and the Wipeout isn;t so much a blooper as an error of mythic proportions!

2 events from personal experience immediatly come to mind.

1. '83 Garfield - (I believe it was at Lodi 'Nationals') - DM forgot to bring the horns up at the begining of the show. Needless to say, the intro to Rocky Point Holiday lacked its usual impact.

2. '85 Garfield - DCI Midwest - THE DOMINO CADETS!

1. '83 Garfield - (I believe it was at Lodi 'Nationals') - DM forgot to bring the horns up at the begining of the show. Needless to say, the intro to Rocky Point Holiday lacked its usual impact.

We (BK) had one of those, too. 1990 - Stillwater, MN. DM didn't just forget the horns up, he forgot the "ready, front". He started the show while we were still at dress center. We eventually got the thing going, but it wasn't the greatest down-beat in the history of drum corps.

We (BK) had one of those, too. 1990 - Stillwater, MN. DM didn't just forget the horns up, he forgot the "ready, front". He started the show while we were still at dress center. We eventually got the thing going, but it wasn't the greatest down-beat in the history of drum corps.

Good old Scott Besaw. I remember him doing that more than on just one occasion (I want to say at least 3 or 4 times). He was a drum corps rookie as well as a rookout, and put in the head drum major position. There would be a panicked "we are going now, GOING NOW" from one of us that could see him followed by lots of "What?" and me shouting out the countoff so the drumline could attempt at starting together. We also use to not troop the stands after a show, troop the stands BEFORE a show, all sorts of weirdness.

Scott was the grandson of local TV kids show personality, and sitting at banquet next to Blinky the Clown sans makeup, swilling gin and tonics, using all the words I never knew existed back when I was watching the Fun Club, made for an experience as interesting as missing the step off at shows.