Drum Corps Bloopers!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teal Sound 2007

Midland, TX

At the beginning of the show, one of the end snares tripped over a judge and the entire line followed like dominos (some drums fell off the harnesses too)! Luckily they recovered very quickly considering the magnitude of what had just happened. :innocent:

I remember seeing that. Just so happened to catch the show. It was an amazing recovery, especially by the end snare who got to the hold set at the last count.

dca prelims 06' the dm didnt call us(socal dream) to attention and one of the guard i think darla called us to attention at the last second :bigsmile:

At the Canton show in 2007 when the Blue Devils snareline did that part where they were weaving through the hornline, one of the snares fell down and his drum fell off the harness. It actually took him a little while to get the drum back on.

dca prelims 06' the dm didnt call us(socal dream) to attention and one of the guard i think darla called us to attention at the last second :bigsmile:

Yeah....it was Darla...I was ABOUT to call it myself, but as I was JUST about to say it, she spoke.

VERY scary...I remember thinking "call attention...call attention...CALL ATTENTION!!!"

And at Finals I was just praying it wouldn't happen again...once attention WAS called, I was able to relax!

Have a bunch from my years marching...probably can't remember them all, but I'll try...

2000 - Rehearsal in Bristol, RI - We're working on the new drill we just changed in Clocks. Im facing backfield moving towards the front-sideline. The tenors (who pass inbetween me and the guy next to me) are facing front field moving towards the back-sideline. Both myself and the back tenor were not exactly headed the right way since we had JUST learned this drill and were trying it with equipment for one of the first times, so i ran into him. I go down, as well as the entire tenor line on top of me. Kinda hurt.

2001 - San Antonio - After the small group in YPG during the little drum break, the baritones are in a curve on the right side of the field. We're all backing up into a triangle thing and one of the guys goes down. Well, since we're all backing up, he takes about 6-7 others down with him. I can't remember if they all got up in time for our little feature or not!

- Rehearsal in California - We're doing a run-through on a rehearsal day. In Moondance when the snares are backing up and turning around for the big drum feature, the snare closest to the sideline trips and falls and takes down about half the snare line with him. A few of the actually snares were broken pretty badly, and at least one member was hurt to a small extent. I dont think we ended up finishing the run-through that day because of it.

2002 - Rehearsal then show in Murfreesboro, TN - This was the year of having that "Monument" on the left side of the field. In reality, it was basically just a giant sponge painted to look like cement. Well, we had learned new drill and staging to Boogie Woogie a day or so before the Murfreesboro show, but never did the new drill with "Sponge-Bob" (as we called it) until the actual show. None of the staff (nor the members) thought that the new drill might come close to the monument. It did. So, in the show, half the trumpet line (or maybe mellos?) starts running into this thing because their drill goes right through it!

2003 - Spring Training - There was an old visual ending to Fanfare and Allegro that nobody ever saw because it was only in for 1 day. The drill was very similar to the ending of Cadets show this year (2008), but a lot closer (aka, smaller intervals). We spent all day trying to learn this and make it work. But, by the end of the day when almost all of the hornline had fallen multiple times and some horns had been all but destroyed, they decided to take it out and put in the ending that's on the videos.

2005 - All season - People ran into that d*** door all the time.

2006 - Random show, mid-season - The drum break in Velvet Pants fell TOTALLY apart. As in, the snares were 2 counts ahead of the rest of the drumline, the pit was 4 counts behind, the DM (as well as the rest of us) couldn't find a single downbeat to save our lives. It never really came back together until a little ways into the ballad. Somehow (even with Phantom at the show), we still won the show AND drums...go figure.

- All season - Plenty of people were falling off of those benches all year. As well, those people who did jump off the bench sometimes were not caught by the people on the ground! It was not a pretty sight when we first started learning it all.

That's all I can really think of for now...

Michael Terry

Cadets baritone 2000-2007

Hey Mikey....I remember one from 2007. This is from Louisville....

At the start of Blue Shades, there is the part where one of the pit members says "Martha Graham said...etc..." It turned out that all everyone heard was "Martha Grah--" and then the sound cut off while we were marching.

That entire section was silent, with the mellophones doing their entrances....and I remember hearing you dutting the whole way through.

It was the most awkward performances I remember on tour....

And I think a similar situation happened this past season in Chesapeake, VA....the voice part just cut off and all the silences were just awkward.

Hey Mikey....I remember one from 2007. This is from Louisville....

At the start of Blue Shades, there is the part where one of the pit members says "Martha Graham said...etc..." It turned out that all everyone heard was "Martha Grah--" and then the sound cut off while we were marching.

That entire section was silent, with the mellophones doing their entrances....and I remember hearing you dutting the whole way through.

It was the most awkward performances I remember on tour....

And I think a similar situation happened this past season in Chesapeake, VA....the voice part just cut off and all the silences were just awkward.

Ah yes, I do remember that. It was quite a scary moment considering the mellos liked to F-up their entrances all the time! And the staff was VERY happy after the show with how we handled the silence. It was a nice "dutting" solo for me though! :bigsmile: