Drum Corps Bloopers!

This thread can't go on w/o '82 SCV and Fiddler.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suncoast 88, 2 bloopers...

ed

First was me... at the end of the opener, the entire corps folds into a dot at the middle of the field, while facing backfield. The last 4 counts of the move are a moving turn to the front, where the last count is the feet coming together facing forward. Contrabasses are at the front-right edge of the dot (exposed!) and I lose balance after the turn and have to take a small step to the side during the halt. TIC!

Second one is WAY more obvious. If you have seen the show, you know that we brought back the Vietnam Wall representation from the 84 show for the closer. At finals, those in charge of putting the flags out mixed up a couple of the flags, and the result is huge and visible for the entire intro to the closer. Funny thing is, a LOT of people that I have talked to have thought that it was intentional, what with the other oddness that was that show...

92 - Velvet Knights

Hey, you forgot one! How about telling us how the drum major ended up in the wacky pants for Finals?

Hey, you forgot one! How about telling us how the drum major ended up in the wacky pants for Finals?

Like I said "there were many more" ...

Ok the mystery pants....

A little history here.....I marched both 90 and 92 Snare line and a little known fact was in 90 our uniform pants were supposed to be solid purple! Yep Purple. Wouldn’t have looked that bad actually. So in the 2 weeks before 1st tour in 90 during our "ten to tens" we were given run through pants, kind'a as a hype. They were the bright orange "MC Hammer" baggies. Weird looking at best, but there was a major amount of electricity when we put them on to do run-throughs....pretty cool....well, they were liked so much that looking at the solid purple pants kind'a brought a seriousness to the corps that really wasn't zany enough. And the bright orange ones were great, but probably too crazy for the field. That's when the new purple edition was brought in and actually became our uniform pants for the entire year.

Well, these obviously made great souvies for 91 and 92. They sold like crazy as the story goes....and here's the worst part...

Fast forward to 92 when a certain Drum Major forgot, yes FORGOT to bring his uniform to finals (and our housing site was nearly an hour away) both him and the assistant DM had to scramble for Uniforms. Souvie truck to the rescue.... and the only pants they had were...you guessed it - the bright orange baggies!!!

Check the vid on this one - at times you can see that his suspenders flat out fall off during the show - too funny. What an age out memory that would be...

Wow - I’m giving it all away today ...And I just remembered another one from that same show involving the Tenor line - any guesses???

Edited by jstdrumn

Wow....looks like no one can top VK '92. Way to sell the show. I can't even tell that there was a mistake at the end.

One of the first drum corps bloopers I saw in person was at the 1972 VFW Nationals finals in Minneapolis. The Sancians had one of their baritone players get his horn accidentally hooked onto a flag. The flag carrier whipped the flag up, and the horn went flying about 20 yards before it crashed on the turf.

Unbelievable GE maneuver!

Perhaps a certain VK 86 mellophone player would like to explain how that ding dang 50 yd moved to the left 5 yards during "Live and Let Die".....at finals....after nailing it 100's of times previously? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM??? Lol

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

1992 Finals - Cavaliers first winning DCI show, after the end of the Gavorkna Fanfare opener and the solo field tom starts for the beginning of the second production and a brass intro begins.

A Cavies fan yells out "92 champions!" and then another fan, apparently someone pulling for Star, shoots back a loud verbal "bird" - it's plain as day in the recordings including the DVD.