Has DCI lost the blue collar fan?

After attending the drum corps/band of america competition in Normal, IL, the last couple of years....it is very obvious that is exactly where DCI wants to go in the future. The place was packed! I sat in a section where there were no drum corps fans to be found but PLENTY of new converts (parents and members) once the show was over. They were already collecting information and planning which corps they were going to 'apply for'. (I told them they needed to go to 'try out' not 'apply for').

This is the future of drum corps.

The Normal show is always packed with bandos, because it is held during a HUGE band camp at ISU. I would bet most of those kids were in the seats for free or a really low cost. Don't even get me started on that show. They let you in the stadium one hour before the show, but you can't go to your seats untill 30 minutes before the show. 1000 people standing in a stuffy little area under the stands. Whoevers brilliant idea that was needs to seek help. S&M can be cured......

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After attending the drum corps/band of america competition in Normal, IL, the last couple of years....it is very obvious that is exactly where DCI wants to go in the future. The place was packed! I sat in a section where there were no drum corps fans to be found but PLENTY of new converts (parents and members) once the show was over. They were already collecting information and planning which corps they were going to 'apply for'. (I told them they needed to go to 'try out' not 'apply for').

This is the future of drum corps.

Na - it will NEVER be where the future of drum is.

BOA and USSBA are enormous $$$$ makers. They market to any and all marching band programs. Band directors bring their show on the road (it's good for the kids.....) and parents love the idea. Voila - bring together all of the bands and it looks like hundreds of thousands of people are participating. People feeding off the energy of other people.

Drum corps is in the off season - away from school - people don't have or want the discipline that drum corps gave to us. We were less mobile, less likely to participate in other activites in the community. Drum corps was our camp, our retreat, get-a-way.

If it were not for the truly great super corps, I am not sure the up and coming corps would ever survive. Those super corps have power to draw the masses, and the endorsements they earn, return millions to the suppliers. How many unis similar in style to the top 7 or 8 corps has FJ Miller sold - just change the color. Dynasty, Yamaha, Pearl, Zildian, etc.

drum corps has aways been for geeks....ubergeeks mind you, but geeks nonetheless. Except for the battery folks...they've always been bad ###.

maybe you should read the Cavies book. drum corps wasnt always for the geeks. in fact, in many cases, it was a way to keep kids off the streets.

There is little evidence of DCA massive expansion. The growth of 5-6 mini corps who have yet to compete in a finals event does not equate rapid expansion.

Also, the audience for DCA continues (as it does for DCI) to be very flat.

DCA and DCI still exist as a niche inside of a niche inside of a niche.

DCA inside of drum corps inside of marching activities.

oh Tom, you so let me down with this after all the DCA discussion in which we've educated you on.

go look how many corps participated in DCA rprelims, both classes in 2000. now look at the lineup for this year.

yeah it's all but doubled, and there's other all age corps around the country who have yet to come to DCA weekend.

please my friend...stop trying to speak like you know about DCA, because the more you do, the worse you come off.

IMO, this is part of what changed DCI (for better or worse). Just as most of the band members quit following band after they and their friends graduate, appears the same is happening in DCI. Granted a higher percentage of DCI people stick around awhile (aka legacy fans) but DCI seem to have to go almost full cycle every few years to find new fans to replace the ones who leave. IOW - DCI has turned into a continuation of HS band....
Thats for sure !

Is "blue collar" defined as a economically lower than "white collar" or are we talking about more of a state of cultural interests? More and more, I see people who are white-collar employed and making a huge income, but they come from blue collar roots and have those "values." NASCAR, football, and the county fair are what's important to many. Maybe when drum corps was a little more "macho" and an "Americana" county fair activity, they were more interested in it. Now, as one lady who went to a show for the first time this year said to me (and I think she'd fall in this white collar with blue collar roots), "what was with the boys prancing with flags?" She did mention that the Troopers were her favorite corps she saw.

I think the current "artistry" (musically and visually) of drum corps is outside the comfort zone for many who fall in this category. Personally, I love it . . . I also love Broadway. But there are many who just aren't into that sort of thing so it does become more of a niche activity. Most blue collar folks around here want their kids in sports and cheerleading . . .and as one person said about the cost of a cheerleading camp, they are willing to ante up for these activities. And the high schools nearly force you to specialize in one activity. God forbid you want to be a cheerleader and on the debate team . . . one mom was told her daughter just couldn't do it. Same for band and most sports . . .

There is little evidence of DCA massive expansion. The growth of 5-6 mini corps who have yet to compete in a finals event does not equate rapid expansion.

You're absolutely right:

There is no massive DCA expansion. No huge press releases.

However, rather than see another 3 or 4 DCI Open/World corps promise the moon and the stars . . .and then fold a few years later . . .

I think perhaps you should turn around and look at your own Arizona Academy, remember the old chestnut "Slow and steady wins the race.". . . and then look at how it applies towards DCA and their "little mini-corps". :thumbup:

Just want to give some definitions to the less than All-Age savvy who may be reading....

Mini Corps: Up to 21 members and perform a 8-10 minute show on a small stage. Some move a bit and soem stand still in concert formation. Compete Friday night DCA Weekend

Class A: 35 to 65 members and perform a full field show at DCA shows. Compete at Prelims Saturday and Finals Sunday at DCA Weekend.

The initial plan for some corps is to start as a Mini corps and work up to Class A field corps. That was the plan for at least two corps this year but had concerns hitting 35 members for DCA so are not making the trip but still planning for 2009. :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

maybe you should read the Cavies book. drum corps wasnt always for the geeks. in fact, in many cases, it was a way to keep kids off the streets.

My brother and I are two of those kids off the street. I am a proud Teamster Member as are most of my friends. If that makes us Blue Collar workers, so be it. One day I had this crazy idea that I was going to throw a party to raise money for the Glassmen. And I was going to invite all of my Blue Collar friends who have never marched band, and the only thing they knew about the Glasmen was how they saved my brothers and I lives by taking us off the streets. He works with me by the way. He went from Blue Collar to White Collar. Anyways, over 200 people showed up and gave up good money to help the Glassmen. Come to find out the drummer of one of the bands that played that night marched Star. ( I will find out his name to see if anyone knows him on this board.) To this day people still talk about those two days. The pressure from my Blue Collar friends to hold another Fund Raiser is becoming great. They even want the buy ins to our tournaments ( fishing, bowling, horse shoes, dominoes and a rib cook off) to be greater then the last time. In fact I have almost said yes. :thumbup:

You see there are other ways to introducing Blue Collar friends to this wonderful Activity then taking one to a Show. You will find that the best way to explain Drum Corps to a person is not what happens on the field. But, what happens off the field. And all the hard work that goes into making all of this happen. I am not saying this is the right way for everyone. All I am saying is that it has worked for me. If they feel the cause is right they will give up their money to help out.

You're absolutely right:

There is no massive DCA expansion. No huge press releases.

However, rather than see another 3 or 4 DCI Open/World corps promise the moon and the stars . . .and then fold a few years later . . .

I think perhaps you should turn around and look at your own Arizona Academy, remember the old chestnut "Slow and steady wins the race.". . . and then look at how it applies towards DCA and their "little mini-corps". :rolleyes:

illegal use of logic. 10 yards, loss of down