Worst stadiums ever

Here's a brief reader's theatre presentation of "A Drum Corps Show in Grand Haven"

Fan #1: "I can't hear the drum corps because of the train."

Fan #2: "What?"

Fan #1: "I said, I can't hear the drum corps because of the train." "The train" "You know, the train."

Fan #2: "I'm sorry, I can't hear you because of the train."

I was ready to post about the Irmo, SC show (Crown's first of the year). Beautiful stadium - right next to a very busy train route. Killed Carolina Crown's ballad a few years ago.

Grand Rapids Michigan

ScannedImage-3.jpg

That is the front sideline stands

So, did they even have an ensemble visual judge? I'll give you a 20.0, because I'll be ###### if I saw any mistakes.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dekalb Memorial Stadium -- The worse stadium I’ve experienced as a fan was in 1996 -- the “Drums Across America” show in the Atlanta area – on August 10th .

The stadium was just a mess – the bleacher seats had been taken out, so there was only uneven concrete for seats – paper marked the seating numbers – wind blew many markers from the correct placement.

Nightmare!! It was hot (no surprise), no seats, etc.

Do not believe DCI ever returned to the stadium. :thumbup:

:w00t:

I remember the old July 4th show in New Berlin, WI in the late 70's. they layed out a football field in an open area behind City Hall adjacent to where they had the festival with tents, rides, and beer and brats. They brought in portable bleachers and the field had potholes the size of manhole covers, and there had to be a 15-20 degree slant to either side and front to back. :rolleyes:

Always angry to know there was a beautiful football field 1/2 mile down the road, but of course they never thought of selling tickets and letting people crowd that place.. :w00t:

always fun trying to be louder than the canned music next door at the festival tents. :w00t:

Pat

Heh--

I recall that this show immediately followed the pie-eating contest, held on the same field. No cleanup in-between, of course...

Not really adding anything, but Dilboy Stadium (aka the Dust Bowl) is no longer the mega-piece-of-crap it was a couple of years ago, they've completely redone it. I used to drive by it on my way to rt 2 from Malden, and now it's gorgeous. I really almost swerved off the road, I was absolutely amazed.

Seveirville(sp?), Tennessee

Yeah that field is pretty bad. I haven't marched corps, but marched there twice in high school. The crown of the field is crazy high and there are random big dips in the playing surface. It's been 3 years since I've marched on that field, so I don't know about the dips, but the last time i was there the crown was still high.

Those were two of my favorite stadiums to perform in. Or course, I wasn't a pusher of anything.

I will agree that these were neat little stadiums for a show - - logistical nightmares from the perspective of a corps driver (and podium pusher) but I liked that the seats were practically right on top of the field.

My wife and I even attended a show in Burlington on the way home from our Honeymoon.

Sorry, but in my opinion the Manning Bowl was the best drumcorps stadium ever! The sound was unreal, the acoustics perfect - even tiny corps sounded fantastic... with almost no track, the corps were right on top of you, in your face LOUD. If DCI had the money, they should have bought the place and used it for recordings. I was so sad when I heard it was getting torn down. :rolleyes:

Pittsfield, MA

Atwater, CA (the "Hickdome")

Alton, IL (I think it was Alton, baseball stadium with field that was too short from sideline to sideline)

Sevierville, TN (Loved the class pictures with Dolly Parton in the school's front hall, though)

Orange Bowl, Miami, FL

Silverdome, Pontiac, MI (gotta love that echo...)

Huntington, WV