The UN-official Drum Corps Dictionary

M word = don't say the M word or bad things happen

Is that the same "word" that the Colts can't speak of for fear of a broken leg or a kitchen fire or a bus crash?

Box 1-5 = an adjective put in front of virtually anything in the drum corps world to describe how good/bad that particular thing is.

i.e. "That was a box 5 dinner!" = a corps' favorite meal, usually very filling and delicious

"Those showers were box 1..." = a shower that dribbles out ice cold water, has roaches on the floor, and basically forces members to go use the garden hose at the kitchen truck to "shower."

"HOTDOG!!" - something that is yelled when a rep is so bad that the staff is trying to say that everyone will get up and go to the concession stands if the members play/march like that during a show.

"Hose(d)" - used to describe watering down (making easier) parts because they are too hard. "Yeah, we had to hose the tenor part because they couldn't play it clean." "That brass lick got hosed."

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fruitbreak: a semi-meal that pops up on the schedule time to time. Usually makes the day seem dreadful.

Plug - something you do to a poor player's mouthpiece just before walking on the field at finals, drop to tubu;ar en of the mouthpiece into mud or potato.

* alt. second definition of Plug - the guy/gal you pick up in mid-July to march a baritone hole, even though they're not playing more than the big chord at the end of a hold. "That chick got cut from our color guard in the winter, but she's plugging a baritone hole for us now."

* Park & Bark - phrase that a corps' hornline plays stading still, usually at a point with loud dynamics

* Fire Hose - what comes out when a part is about to be made easier: commonly referred to in a threatening manner. "Tenors, if that solo isn't clean this next rep. I'm breaking out the fire hose!"

Purple - A drink*

*It's a trap!

"Hose(d)" - used to describe watering down (making easier) parts because they are too hard. "Yeah, we had to hose the tenor part because they couldn't play it clean." "That brass lick got hosed."

Or as we'd hear it in BD:

Jack Meehan: "Sopranos....there's been a change..."

Someone in the line (usually an UFLS): "Get me a towel."

And SPEAKING of that acronym.... UFLS....Upper F###in' Lead Soprano

Soloist drill: When you have SO MANY solos and features you just kinda park it on the front sideline for much of the show....see Larrie Dastrip in Renegades 03!!

NUCLEAR--REALLY REALLY REALLY F***ING LOUD

I may have missed it...but no one posted ROOKOUT--A rookie to the activity that is aging out the same year.

how about

corps whore - someone who jumps from corps to corps

usually related to the

Ring Chaser - A corps whore who is trying to pick the winning corps

Soloist drill: When you have SO MANY solos and features you just kinda park it on the front sideline for much of the show....see Larrie Dastrip in Renegades 03!!

Or, Scott Steward (I think) in BD '93.

I remember watching their show (we toured with them a good bit during second tour in '93) with my watch, and calculating that he actually marched about two minutes of that show. Nice work if you can get it! :tongue:

Or, Scott Steward (I think) in BD '93.

I remember watching their show (we toured with them a good bit during second tour in '93) with my watch, and calculating that he actually marched about two minutes of that show. Nice work if you can get it! :tongue:

Heh...Gino Cipriani and Duane Schimmel had that kind of drill in the 84 closer....play opening statement...back up 8 steps...play the first part of their duet....come forward 8 steps....play the rest of the duet....park to the end of the show.

It got to the point that when the staff would do a marching run of the closer, those 2 would head to the GE box at Mars to watch!

And for Ryan...."Nuclear Holocaust" was the term Wayne actually used for the last loud chord of our final warm up in 84....we scared the Hell out of Garfield's battery, who were doing their own warmup within earshot....heh....good times!