From inside Phantom Regiment Headquarters

As for that, I have nothing. I'm not a drum corps designer with years of experience. I trust them to make the best decision for the corps and, while it IS fun to speculate, it's not like it matters. I was just responding to the "Don't change a thing." school of thought, that's all. Just because one can understand something doesn't necessarily one has any good solutions.

Phantom Regiment should produce a show which is both emotionally captivating, aesthetically pleasing, and melodically beautiful while maintaining a high degree of difficulty in all aspects. They should do this while retaining the elements which remain key to their public persona. So, for instance, I would be surprised to see Regiment playing showtunes. Which isn't to say they would not or could not do so.

People get paid to think of these things. I'm procrastinating and playing armchair quarterback from my computer. I don't NEED to have ideas.

As long as they are exploring via a "recycling" mode, how about a show based on Fantasia? They must surely have enough material in their archives to pull this off; they could create a series of mini-productions inside a single show.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as they are exploring via a "recycling" mode, how about a show based on Fantasia? They must surely have enough material in their archives to pull this off; they could create a series of mini-productions inside a single show.

Why am I envising fat girls in tutus singing "Hello Mudda, hello fadda"? :rock:

What about Michael Daugherty's Metropolis Symphony? I've always wanted either Phantom or SCV to tackle this. It would definitely be moving in a new direction. Yes, I know it's based on Superman. But, whether you like that or not, it's awesome music - lots of drive, lots of emotion, and lots of sections that could be VERY effective on the field.

I think the music would be a better fit for Vanguard.

But an even better fit- Crossmen, given their history and the approach they've been taking the last couple years.

Why do we need electronics for that? Just make a rule change to allow cannons and rifles and such. I am a traditionalist and don't like electronics or narration at all, but if its good enough for Peter T. to use heavy artillery in his work, who I am I to argue?

To all you Phantom Phans and anti-electronics people:

Would the introduction of electronic instruments allow for Phantom to do 1812 Overture WITH full-force bells and cannon-fire? Because 72 brass isn't quite loud enough. :P

I think Cadets could made a good offer on a used rabbit suit.

I still want "What's Opera, Doc?" Let's do the Ring Cycle the right way!

I think the music would be a better fit for Vanguard.

But an even better fit- Crossmen, given their history and the approach they've been taking the last couple years.

It's interesting that you threw Crossmen into that mix. I think in a few years, that could be awesome. I also agree that at first glance, the music seems to be more Vanguard than Phantom, but I was also very skeptical of latin in 2004 and even more skeptical of Gershwin in 2005. I wasn't sure about the more latin flavor fitting the style of the corps, and I was concerned about all Gershwin being too "all happy."

Elgar - Enigma Variations (could you just imagine this hornline playing Nimrod?)