A note on showmanship.

OK, I'll admit it. I was completely prepared to hate Phantom's show. So much so, that I missed them during quarters on purpose. At semi's I was just about to leave the stadium during their show and decided I had better stop being judgmental and give it a try.

Why was I expecting to hate it? I've never been a big fan of them. Never hated them, disliked them etc. Just never a fan. Maybe it was something from the 70's. Some perceived slight that I can't remember in my feeble old age. Maybe I hated their unis in the 70s. Maybe some boy didn't smile at me 30 years ago. Who knows.

Anyway, I decided to just sit there, listen to the music and read my program. When they came on the field I glanced up a couple of times to check things out and went back to what I was doing, but I kept having to look up more and more. By the time they hit that first note, I had put down the program.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but by the time they were done with the semi's performance I was on my feet screaming at every kill and yelling I AM SPARTACUS at the top of my lungs. I couldn't believe it myself.

What sold me on the show? The members. It was obvious they weren't just playing a show. They were enjoying what they were doing and putting on one of the best performances of their lives. That's what made it exciting for me.

Come finals night I didn't think they would be as exciting to watch. I mean, how many times can you get excited about the same person being killed? I got so sucked into that finals show you would have thought I had never seen it before and was a rabid Phantom Phan. The only corps I cheered louder for that night was my own.

SO, I just wanted to say thanks to the members of Phantom for their showmanship. That, to me, is what won it for me. Knowing that your whole corps was enjoying it, laying it all out on the field and giving it everything and believing that that show was the absolute best there was. You should be proud of yourselves.

I'll never walk out on a Phantom performance again.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur on all points- except the 'hating PR' part. They are pretty much the reason ('they' being PR 03 and 06) that I am marching corps.

I started out being really... unimpressed by the Rockford show. I continued being unimpressed, although it grew on me. Then I heard about the 4th murder in Allentown. Upon witnessing this spectacle... wow.

good job phantom

P.S. This same kind of showmanship is the ONLY reason I enjoyed CC's show this year and last year (as a visual and musical combination- I could never get enough of that hornline... wow).

I felt the same way about Phantom until 2005 when they blew me away at DCI Allentown. This years production was right up there with 05.

SO, I just wanted to say thanks to the members of Phantom for their showmanship. That, to me, is what won it for me. Knowing that your whole corps was enjoying it, laying it all out on the field and giving it everything and believing that that show was the absolute best there was. You should be proud of yourselves.

I'll never walk out on a Phantom performance again.

Well said... :rolleyes:

My general feeling about PR over my 29 years of fandom/participation was simply indifference. Never hated them, never loved them.

This year's show.....wow! Just wow!! I'll certainly pay more attention in the future!

Edited by 27/soa

I had the same kind of reaction to a different show. From what I had gleaned from the description of BD's show I was prepared to not like it at all. And I'll be honest: as a "legacy fan" (I'm only in my early 40's, am I really "legacy"?!?!?!), I miss the powerhouse jazz shows that BD brought to the field. But the first time I saw that show they were selling it so intensely that I couldn't help but be drawn in. I liked it the second and third time, too.

As for Phantom, I can only imagine what it took to put that particular dramatic effort on the field night after night. If I had a time machine, I would go back and find a way to be in Bloomington on Finals night of 2008. (well, the whole week, actually) I think it's going to remain one of the most legendary nights in drum corps for decades to come. (and I missed it!!!! :rolleyes: )

I don't really like their approach to brass playing at all, or their visual program. It is quite obvious that Devils had the upper hand in performance and execution.

However, I have to admit that they are an extremely emotional drum corps that wanted to win more than anything, and well, they DID win.

Good for them :tongue:

I don't really like their approach to brass playing at all, or their visual program. It is quite obvious that Devils had the upper hand in performance and execution.

Oh, you mean like playing in tune with a good blend and understanding the ability to play extremes? I like how people don't like Phantom because of their perceived too loud volume and playing to the "edge" of the horn.

Ever been to the Chicago Symphony? Ever heard of "orchestral edge". It how great orchestral musicians are able to play from the softest soft to the fullest full. This is Phantom's concept of sound and like it or hate, it is perhaps the most widely accepted in the "real world".

BTW, once you get the CD's have a little closer listen to BD and their "performance and execution". I have a feeling you might have a different story. There a reason they came in 4th all season in ensemble... :tongue:

Edited by trumpetcam

Oh, you mean like playing in tune with a good blend and understanding the ability to play extremes?

Since when does Phantom do any of that?

Since when does Phantom do any of that?

Um, since always?