New Additions to DCA?

Kansan

Additions to DCA  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Who will graduate from exhibition?

• Masquerade
    • High Country Brass
    • Prairie Sound
    • En Garde
    • Sounds of Philidelphia
    • Austin Stars
    • Derby City Knights
  2. 2. Who will make it to Rochester?

• Sun Devils
    • Derby City Knights
    • Austin Stars
    • Cincinnati Tradition

Which show did Empire copy from Cadets? Empire's show this year was a tribute to their own history.

That's fine... I wasn't implying that the show was a copy, but using Empire as an example of how DCA shows have been known to use music that has been done in DCI (not different music, in other words). I also used MBI (who I loved this year), and could also use the Bucs, Cabs, Corpsvets, Crusaders, etc. I made a legit post. The first time the Cadets played something from Westside Story was in 1961. They have been doing Westside Story longer than Empire has been in existence. In addition, they have done Westside Story as an entire show at least two times. I wasn't singling out one corps... but proving that DCA isn't exactly doing original stuff. There are corps out there trying new music, and I think that is great; but the majority of the music has been heard over and over.

By the way, I am ok with what corps are doing. I love the old "warhorse" drum corps shows... I think they are great!!! I am just being the devils advocat

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fine... I wasn't implying that the show was a copy, but using Empire as an example of how DCA shows have been known to use music that has been done in DCI (not different music, in other words). I also used MBI (who I loved this year), and could also use the Bucs, Cabs, Corpsvets, Crusaders, etc. I made a legit post. The first time the Cadets played something from Westside Story was in 1961. They have been doing Westside Story longer than Empire has been in existence. In addition, they have done Westside Story as an entire show at least two times. I wasn't singling out one corps... but proving that DCA isn't exactly doing original stuff. There are corps out there trying new music, and I think that is great; but the majority of the music has been heard over and over.

By the way, I am ok with what corps are doing. I love the old "warhorse" drum corps shows... I think they are great!!! I am just being the devils advocat

No problem, I understand, thought you meant most of the Empire show this year was a copy from Cadets. I know West Side was one of Empire's most successful years. Miss Siagon and City of Angels were two others that were part of this year's show. They only used a small part of Maria and then the Rumble (drum solo). Probably 2 minutes of the show this year was from West Side.

I do agree with you that there are a lot of themes, story lines, music, etc that is used in DCA that had been in DCI previously.

Wow I can't believe West Side Story is that old...timeless music!!

I believe there is a website that lists songs that corps have played. Would you know it?

Thanks for the reply.

As far as the selections of music that corps are playing, it has to be difficult trying to get rights to play certain music each year. It can be costly and time consuming. I sat next to a retired couple at DCA Finals and they had a print-out of the music that all the corps played. They were looking at the music selections and making comments even before the corps came out. Yet, I know it has to be difficult for a corps to pick the right selections. I belong to a non-profit community choir and we have to go through the same thing that corps do before we can choose selections for a concert. We may find more corps repeating music from prior years.

anybody besides me wanna see the Skyliners back in rochester in 09?

anybody besides me wanna see the Skyliners back in rochester in 09?

Most definitely!!!!!!!

Fran

Yea. Just what we need. Help MOVE DCA towards a more DCI venue.

As great as they(Star United) are. Excellence in Brass for sure.

PLEASE NO!

why is it that a different style scares everyone so much? :thumbs-up:

i saw it then back in the early 90's and it seems that the same issues still exist now over 15 years later.

i'd love to see a DCA corps be able to do something along the lines of what Phantom pulled off this year. or Crown. not a carbon copy ~ just produce really incredible shows. i don't like all DCI shows, but to say something of that genre wouldn't be welcome in a DCA atmosphere is wrong. one fan's opinion is another fan's bird cage liner.

lets make DCA more inclusive. Star should feel that they would be welcomed with open arms by many, many fans if they chose to compete in more than just the minicorps competition. IMO they would raise the level of competition for all the corps by their inclusion.

You miss my point. I am not saying that.

Mixing Old and New is fine. BUT, we do not need to GO to being a carbon Copy of DCI.

DCA is Growing in Numbers of Corps and Fans. DCI IS NOT. Must mean something.

Look at Both Renegades and Empire. Both use a Mixed style. I just hate to see ONLY the DCI way of things being Rewarded VERY MUCH more than either the Mixed or more Traditional. KEEP ALL. Reward ALL.

OR - in my Opinion Loose, like DCI.

The same sorts of things were said about the great Sunriser shows of the 70's when they were winning all the time, and they were said about the Bushwackers later on when they were cleaning up with some marvelous performances and shows. Very disparaging comments from DCA-old-timers about them being "DCI-lite" or something like that.

High quality is what places well....performance and design...look at the shows of corps that ended up close to the Bucs.