Star United and the Finals Exhibition

Perhaps Star United, as the Big Dog on the circuit doesnt see any need to travel any more than they already do? Thats what we're reading from some East Coasters on the general subject of travelling outside the East for contests, so I'm wondering how this is different?

ask Star instead of just assuming they're anti travel. they may be, but assuming kills you every time

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sheets that are used to judge mini corps in MCA and DCA are based on entertainment. That is what it will be for awhile, at least in DCA. There is talk of possibly expanding this in MCA, but for now that is what it is. According to these sheets the corps that pulled you from your seat should win. Choice of music literature is and should be diverse.

The only potential problem with this is that not everyone has the same definition of what they perceive as being entertaining. Some people may like opera over a rock concert, some like classical more than jazz, etc.

There are still excellent conversations happening behind the scenes as to what is the best way to do this activity. And agreeably it is still in its infancy.

The best thing about it is it gives guys a chance to compete that may be past their ability or desire to march 100 sets of drill.

Donny

The only potential problem with this is that not everyone has the same definition of what they perceive as being entertaining. Some people may like opera over a rock concert, some like classical more than jazz, etc.

Which is in my opinion, the overwhelming beauty of Minicorps. Not a problem, but a blessing.

:)

Edited by ContraRich77

Which is in my opinion, the overwhelming beauty of Minicorps. Not a problem, but a blessing.

:)

Not disagreeing, but I do believe that alot of the bickering on here comes from misinformed posters. It is not just mini corps, but DCA in general, that the entertainment value perhaps excedes the quality of the product being offered by the corps. And that is by design.

The mini corps show is always an entertaining way to start the weekend. My point is to allow other posters to know a little more about it.

Donny

Not disagreeing, but I do believe that alot of the bickering on here comes from misinformed posters. It is not just mini corps, but DCA in general, that the entertainment value perhaps excedes the quality of the product being offered by the corps. And that is by design.

The mini corps show is always an entertaining way to start the weekend. My point is to allow other posters to know a little more about it.

Donny

Couldn't agree with you more if I tried :)

Edited by ContraRich77

The mini corps show is always an entertaining way to start the weekend.

I agree.

Since I started going to mini corps in 2004.The mini corps show is almost a secondary part of the venue.Many folks come from lands far away this one day out of the year and get to catch up with peeps they havent seen since last year.People that only know each other from DCP also meet for the first time and they always have something to talk about while the show is going on.Just the way it is.

Ohhh yeah and there is beer too.drink2.gif

Donny I wanted to play again, but the powers to be with the new Appleknocker Mini Corps said that I didn't have Military Bearing.

So I guess I will just watch.

Well explained and noted OSC.

One thing that might need some clarification is that there is NO Jr. (DCI or pre) or Sr. (DCA or pre). This is today and not yesterday. The name of a group is just a name, nothing more. It is the people that constitute the group. I look at Star (and love what they do) and think of them as Ruocco's 'kids', but they're all over 30......some older. I look at Xtreme with an average age of 17 and think.......these are kids.....that I hope will develop into or have the same positive experiences as Star. No matter the WHAT of what you do, but the HOW of what you do. It's all good drum corps, just different flavors.

Enough

Joe

Very Well Said

And still here helping the US Navy stay afloat. Hey Sara! Hope life is good.

For anyone's info (and trivia buffs). 5 of us were in '85 Star. Two of us in SU went to Star in '85 for our age-out years.

We truly enjoyed being able to come back to Rochester and play for the crowd(s). And for someone who aged out in '85 and saw all the Star years it was especially sweet to be able to put foot to turf again in the stadium Sunday. For all we knew following the Bucs with ony 18 horns was potentially dicey.

It sounds like all the mini-corps brought great performances and I'll have to wait for the DVD to catch them. Thanks again.

Kim

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip back to Rochester! :hehe:

I was the Show Chairman in 1985 of the "Flower City Open" in Rochester hosted by the Northmen Jr. D & B Corps (Firebirds and Cadets of Greece merger). I got a call that year as we were busy lining up a show that consisted of Garfield Cadets, 27th Lancers, Bayonne Bridgemen, Avante Garde, Les Eclipse, Les Chatelaines and others from Joe Guadagnino, who had informed me that there was this new Drum Corps from Bloomington Indiana that was trying to setup a tour because DCI wouldn't put them in their tour schedule rotation because they were not members yet!!! :rolleyes:

So....I said sure!!! The more the merrier and the fact I only needed to set our agreed upon price to bring them in than pay the DCI set scale was saving us almost 50% was a big plus!!!!!!!!

When Star pulled in to the campus, the amount of cooperation and professionalism from every contact of member and staff was Outstanding to say the least!!!! They were Amazing!!!!!!!!!!! LOVED the Disney show!

The buzz was amazing for the Star of Indiana and entertained the fans that year and for many more to come! It was alot of fun and head-scratching trying to figure out how the design team was going to best themselves the following year, but yet, they did even after winning the DCI Titles!!!

I hope some day to see another Star rise from Indiana but in the Interim, Being entertained by any alumni, in any form is a huge plus for the Fans of Drum & Bugle corps!!!!!!!!! :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...
In the case of Star United, however, it's because of their perceived "aloofness".

Their first year, if I remember correctly, most of them left DCA Weekend shortly after their performance.

From then on, the opinion has been that they don't really care about DCA - or MCA...

Wow. I had no interest in fanning the flames in this thread, but this sticks in my craw a bit.

In 06', our first year of competition, the members awoke Saturday morning eager to see what would be our first DCA field show. Of course we were greeted with a tropical depression. No biggie, we headed out to the outdoor shop where we all fitted ourselves out with rain gear and headed to the stadium. There our plucky 'aloof' little group enjoyed what was for most of us, our first DCA field show, despite the driving rain and mild hypothermia. To cap the night off we acted as the pit crew for our new buddies, the Renegades. So I guess you could say that not even a mild hurricane could keep us away from seeing our first show. It was a great day and a great night the night before. Unfortunately, we could not attend finals the next day because of family and work obligations back in Indiana.

Though i do not speak for SU as a whole, I think everyone involved would love to be more involved with DCA/MCA. But planning vacation time, renting and packing a bus, and heading for upstate NY isn't something we can do more then say once or maybe twice a year. If MCA had not been but a few weeks after DCA, I think this is something we might have undertaken. Many of our members are teachers and this time of year is pretty much unavailable for even weekend drum corps. Until there is more DCA/MCA events in the midwest, I think Star United will be limited to a few exhibitions here and there and DCA weekend. Even the summer is largely out due to the high percentage of our folks involved with DCI.

Perception and reality are often two different things. If you were a fly on the wall as we struggle through our winter rehearsals or saw our grabass on the bus that whole 'aloof' thing would go out the window. But we do hold ourselves to high standard of performance and when the suits are on and the brass is to the lips, it is done to a certain level of professionalism or it is not done. Isn't that everyone's goal? Other then that, we like beer, certain irreverent comedies, and put our pants on one leg at a time. We even like the occasional

Our three years in DCA have been a blast and thanks to the many who have gone out of their way to make us feel welcome. I hope we can continue to be a lightening rod of controversy for some, and an entertainer for others for years to come.

Edited by mchromik