Star United and the Finals Exhibition

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I had no interest in fanning the flames in this thread, but this sticks in my craw a bit.

In 06', our first year of competition, the members awoke Saturday morning eager to see what would be our first DCA field show. Of course we were greeted with a tropical depression. No biggie, we headed out to the outdoor shop where we all fitted ourselves out with rain gear and headed to the stadium. There our plucky 'aloof' little group enjoyed what was for most of us, our first DCA field show, despite the driving rain and mild hypothermia. To cap the night off we acted as the pit crew for our new buddies, the Renegades. So I guess you could say that not even a mild hurricane could keep us away from seeing our first show. It was a great day and a great night the night before. Unfortunately, we could not attend finals the next day because of family and work obligations back in Indiana.

Though i do not speak for SU as a whole, I think everyone involved would love to be more involved with DCA/MCA. But planning vacation time, renting and packing a bus, and heading for upstate NY isn't something we can do more then say once or maybe twice a year. If MCA had not been but a few weeks after DCA, I think this is something we might have undertaken. Many of our members are teachers and this time of year is pretty much unavailable for even weekend drum corps. Until there is more DCA/MCA events in the midwest, I think Star United will be limited to a few exhibitions here and there and DCA weekend. Even the summer is largely out due to the high percentage of our folks involved with DCI.

Perception and reality are often two different things. If you were a fly on the wall as we struggle through our winter rehearsals or saw our grabass on the bus that whole 'aloof' thing would go out the window. But we do hold ourselves to high standard of performance and when the suits are on and the brass is to the lips, it is done to a certain level of professionalism or it is not done. Isn't that everyone's goal? Other then that, we like beer, certain irreverent comedies, and put our pants on one leg at a time. We even like the occasional

Our three years in DCA have been a blast and thanks to the many who have gone out of their way to make us feel welcome. I hope we can continue to be a lightening rod of controversy for some, and an entertainer for others for years to come.

I thought this thread was pretty much done. However, and not to belabor the issue, the description of your members' life situations (i.e. jobs, etc., etc...) whatever........are NOT UNIQUE. All DCA Corps', All Minicorps', All Alumni Corps', etc. etc. .......are also blessed with this problem. To even mention the fact that your corps' holds themselves to a HIGH STANDARD suggest, at least to me, that others don't.

Make no mistake here. Accolades to SU have been given and well deserved. Your presence in Minicorps' has only served for the rest to set their goals higher. But...again...to suggest your situation, desire, sacrifices, are UNIQUE........?? Don't Think So......

Edited by melligene

SU = greatness

this group is showing us all what motivated and talented musicians can do with their time and effort.

Their level of performance is the mark we should all strive to attain.

can't wait to see them play live again and hopefully soon.

Where does he state that their situation is unique?

Frankly, I can't believe these guys even have to defend themselves about any of this crapola...

My apologies if I offended anyone. The word Unique was my choice as it seemed as that was the intent. Sometimes I just don't say things very tactfully. Basically I was trying to say that we are all in the same boat, so to speak, relative to life situations. I have the utmost respect for SU and their talent and have conveyed that before in previous posts. They have, without a doubt, helped the minicorps' activity to be taken very seriously as a venue and for that I thank them.

Star United certainly has proven it's point & dominated..... to me, it's like the Marine D&b corps competing in the annual inter-service competition. They would be expected to win every year I would think. Wouldn't it seem pointless? I wonder if the Renegades share this view as well...... Will you compete next year?

Star United certainly has proven it's point & dominated..... to me, it's like the Marine D&b corps competing in the annual inter-service competition. They would be expected to win every year I would think. Wouldn't it seem pointless? I wonder if the Renegades share this view as well...... Will you compete next year?

Are you serious? Should other corps even show up to compete against Star United? I can only assume that you have been assimilated and have therefore lost your mind. :smile:

At Mass Brass, we have nothing but respect for SU, but to suggest that no other corps has a chance of beating them is ridiculous. At DCA this year, we appeared six corps before SU, and they ended up winning by only 1.16 points. We applaud their well earned victory, but certainly don't feel as though we were dominated. I can't imagine that the Renegades, Golden Eagles, or many of the other competing corps would feel dominated either.

It's called good healthy competition! :thumbup:

well, feel free to imagine anything you want to about the Renegades, they weren't there. Point is you & the rest of us have been beaten for the last few years. Time will tell. If you're practicing and working all year for the love of performing, then have a ball. If you're trying to win, well..... I saw and really enjoyed your show last year. I thought you had a good shot. If you can top that show, salute. ah, what the hell. Time for me to quit I guess.

good luck to all, hope you catch them. Respects to SU.

Edited by Borg Bari

I thought this thread was pretty much done. However, and not to belabor the issue, the description of your members' life situations (i.e. jobs, etc., etc...) whatever........are NOT UNIQUE. All DCA Corps', All Minicorps', All Alumni Corps', etc. etc. .......are also blessed with this problem. To even mention the fact that your corps' holds themselves to a HIGH STANDARD suggest, at least to me, that others don't.

Make no mistake here. Accolades to SU have been given and well deserved. Your presence in Minicorps' has only served for the rest to set their goals higher. But...again...to suggest your situation, desire, sacrifices, are UNIQUE........?? Don't Think So......

And this is why generally the best response in most cases, is no response at all.

I didn't say a word about our situation being unique other then we have a good deal bit more travel times and expenses then most of the units. My post was in response to someone speaking of our perceived 'aloofness' and that we did not attend any DCA events other then Championships. I was suggesting that our member's life, and in particular drum corps and band obligations keep us from performing as much as we might like. Additionally our performance standards keep us from performing until we get to a level that we feel comfortable with.

Our situation is unique in that it seems that no matter what we do or say it invites folks to express wildly polar comments and opinions. But hey maybe it is best to be hated and/or loved, then not noticed at all.

Edited by mchromik