Just curious...

On finals night...  

221 members have voted

1. 1. What was the reason YOU cheered when 2nd place was announced?

• Because Phantom won.
    • Because The Blue Devils lost.
    • Because you were applauding BD for a good season and an amazing show.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't actually cheer, as I was in disbelief and shock. I did applaud, but really thought BD got robbed. My brother made it to finals for the first time in 6 years, and was kind of rooting for Phantom, but even he didn't think that was a championship show. It's like he told me after the show, when people watch the dvd's back they're going to realize Bd should have won, Cavaliers really should have come in 2nd, and Phantom should have been 3rd. But he was excited for the organization.

Congradulations go out to Phantom. It was probably their best show since the mid 90's.

Unfortunately, as I was in some serious talks with my wife, I was unable to react as normal....so I'll go with the qtrs reaction.

Sure, as an alum I always wand BD on top....duh....but I WILL happily admit that I yelled "SUTA" in the theater at the end of the show...and I was VERY happy Regiment finally won their OWN title with a show that will live with 86 BD, 87 SCV, 87 Garfield, etc....a show for the ages, truly...and very deserving of the win...and one HELL of a monkey off the organization's back!

I didn't actually cheer, as I was in disbelief and shock. I did applaud, but really thought BD got robbed. My brother made it to finals for the first time in 6 years, and was kind of rooting for Phantom, but even he didn't think that was a championship show. It's like he told me after the show, when people watch the dvd's back they're going to realize Bd should have won, Cavaliers really should have come in 2nd, and Phantom should have been 3rd. But he was excited for the organization.

Congradulations go out to Phantom. It was probably their best show since the mid 90's.

I have been watching Drum Corps shows since 1976. I saw BD, CAVIES and PR several times this year. I do not need a DVD review to tell me that PR won outright. It's great you have your opinion that BD got "robbed" and that's fine. But I for one still KNOW what I watched and heard that night and I've been watching for a loooooooong time.

Edited by Perry S

I have been watching Drum Corps shows since 1976. I saw BD, CAVIES and PR several times this year. I do not need a DVD review to tell me that PR won outright. It's great you have your opinion that BD got "robbed" and that's fine. But I for one still KNOW what I watched and heard that night and I've been watching for a loooooooong time.

That's exactly right! BD didn't get robbed they had a good show and got beat fair and square. Cavies better than PR? For once in a long time they weren't on the same playing field.

Great show which I enjoyed more than BD but not close to Phantoms overall.

The only robbery (IMO) was that Phantom didn't win brass but who cares when you win the Championship.

I'm one of those who cheered both because Phantom won, and because BD lost.

My personal opinion, after seeing both shows all three days, was this: I don't even see how BD made the top 5. They justified poor design and lousy execution by claiming that it was a part of the absurdity theme...that's awfully convenient. Granted, I loved the concept when they announced it, but when I saw the show in Bloomington, I was actually dismayed at just how ridiculous the show turned out.

Phantom, Cavies, Crown, and Cadets all had superior shows, both in design and execution.

Now, add to that the complete classlessness they displayed at the ageout ceremony (group photo they took while chanting at the top of their collective lungs, "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13!"...the inference being that they were about to win their 13th championship), and I pretty much was rooting for just about anyone else to beat them.

Just my personal feelings...

Initial reaction was from the "Wow" factor of what Phantom had accomplished over the weekend. Then a long ovation from me towards Blue Devils for their fine performance and season. Seemed to me like most folks around me followed the same path -- an initial OMG emotional outburst, followed by cheering/applause for BD's hard-fought Silver.