Poll: Does show design affect recruitment?

Does show design affect recruitment?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Does show design affect recruitment?

• Yes
    • No

I will definitely say show design does help. Many people say they do not like this or that. Members today, especially younger members, want good design. They do not want to play random stuff put together just to play it. They are looking for design, for example this year Bucs, Hurcs, and Bush and Corpvets. These are shows that stick out in my mind this year. It takes an entire package along with names that members will know. There must be great variety and exciting drill. This is what keeps the younger members come for the first time and years after.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I get this thread.

If, for example, you do not like classical music, Phantom Regiment is not for you.

If you think the Cabs should play something besides Latin music, you should find another corps that fits your personality, style or vision.

Otherwise, you are trying to pound a square peg into a round hole, and your negativity and unhappiness will only hinder the corps, not to mention drive yourself batty in the process.

March where you will be happy ... and march only if it makes you happy.

Life is too short...

Not sure I get this thread.

If, for example, you do not like classical music, Phantom Regiment is not for you.

If you think the Cabs should play something besides Latin music, you should find another corps that fits your personality, style or vision.

Otherwise, you are trying to pound a square peg into a round hole, and your negativity and unhappiness will only hinder the corps, not to mention drive yourself batty in the process.

March where you will be happy ... and march only if it makes you happy.

Life is too short...

Why should cabs play anything other than Latin Music. It made them very famous and Successful. Drum Corp and Non Corps people alike come to see them year after year play it.. It's what their fans want to hear! Play to your fans Ears. They pay to see you. Give them what they want to hear.

DCA has such a broad range of musical styles and tastes. but to me it's notes on the page. I don't care if you play show tunes, classical, jazz, rock, latin, ska... etc.... The show you put in front of me will be the show I play. That's just me.

However I will only march where I am happy.

Life is too short... <--- Right On!

Why should cabs play anything other than Latin Music. It made them very famous and Successful. Drum Corp and Non Corps people alike come to see them year after year play it.. It's what their fans want to hear! Play to your fans Ears. They pay to see you. Give them what they want to hear.

Agree 1000%

p.s. Phantom and Cabs were random examples, not mentioned to make any particular point

Edited by drumlaw80

i'd say designers have more of a pull on bringing in members than the actual design does. then again, i know people who dont like cabs shows, so they wont go there, but will go somewhere else that does a style of show they like. but on whole, the people writing the show would be more of a pull

Show design, to me, includes style and theme of music. This poll is to discuss the idea that perhaps that the culture of an organization is key, and that show design does not affect a drum corps in any tangible respect.

I voted 'No' because I was not considering style and theme to be 'show design'. Personally I would look more to the culture of the organization as a primary consideration, not a particular year's show.

However, if I hear a corps is doing "Malaguena" for the 13,297'th time, I most likely would, to quote Monty Python, "Run Away". :sad:

As we all know there is a lot of factors in recruitment. I feel that show design effects older more seasoned people then it does kids who just dont know any better and think the activity can be fun. I feel that choosing the right show will make or break you. If you throw something together without a whole concept in mind then I believe you will lose people. However, all this being said I will say that some shows have more of a draw then others. For example if your a huge West Side Story fan and a group is doing West Side, then you might be drawn because it is a show you have always wanted to do. Or on the opposite, if you are in a group that makes a show choice like Jazz but you really hate playing jazz, you are more likely to say hey maybe I will take the summer off. So in relation to does it effect recruitment, yes, but it is not the only factor.

Think Lees point was if you don't like to play Latin music.... guess you shouldn't be driving to Hawthorne for practice. :sad:

LMAO, just reminded of one about my old corps. During the years Westshore did a jazz/blues/whatever you call it style they played "Blues in the Night" a lot. Heard part of a "bus song" about that to tune of "BITN".... "We're playing the same ####..." :sad: Wierd part is Westshore is now "known" for that style even though they didn't do it for that many years, they just happened to be good those years.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Out here in the burbs, you either like the show design, or you add 7x20 hours(140 hours) of travel time and expense to your season(the next closest corps). Or choose the cheapest route of all and wait to see if it's different next year.

Show design is one aspect of many. I have my gripes. I wouldn't choose to do a show where each member is responsible for lugging 900lbs of props out to and off of the field, in addition to performing a show. I wouldn't want to do a show with 200 drill sets in a weekend only environment. There's just no time to learn it, clean, much less reteach it to those who couldn't make last camp.

As far as the music selection, it's relatively minor. Within reason of course, I wouldn't want to be dressed up like a fairy or anything to support the "design". I generally choose to do all age corps out of conveinence. Not to imply conveinent. Despite its demands, it's generally the cheapest road to the DCA weekend. Paying flight / rental car / lodging / tickets / and stuff as an individual is considerably more costly, for those of us who don't live anywhere near DCA land. As long as the drill isn't too demanding, and the schedule is "sane", I choose to march. Cross that thin line, and the choice to do nothing and have tons more time and cash over the course of a season is all too easy to make.