Pre-amplification talking and singing

Vocals were first allowed around 1983, although they were not amplified. So what did corps say and sing?

Off the top of my head, here are a few examples (I'm not including the many grunts and wordless singing.):

"Live, from Sacramento, the Freelancers!" (Freelancers 1984)

"We've got something you're really going to like!" then "Here it is!" (Freelancers 1983, drum major)

"Vive la France" (Phantom 1992)

"Oh James!" and "Thanks, I need that!" (VK 1986)

"Peron, Peron..." (Kiwanis Kavaliers, 1997)

"I'm melting!" (Sky Ryders, 1986)

Chanting "New Era" (Santa Clara 2001)

Singing "Little Liza Jane" (Magic, 2001)

Singing "Mickey Mouse March" and "It's A Small World" (Star 1985)

Singing "Auld Lang Syne" (Bluecoats 1996)

Singing "Can't Smile Without You" (Velvet Knights, year?)

Can you remember any others? I'm not including the many grunts and wordless singing.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vocals were first allowed around 1983, although they were not amplified. So what did corps say and sing?

Off the top of my head, here are a few examples (I'm not including the many grunts and wordless singing.):

Singing "Little Liza Jane" (Magic, 2001)

Can you remember any others? I'm not including the many grunts and wordless singing.

I'm pretty sure "Little Liza Jane" was 1997.

I edited because I used examples of wordless singing

Edited by goldingna

Conqueror II chanted the opening of Chant and Jubilo in 1985 with bari and contras playing.

Same year the Bridgemen did a short poem about "losing the Santa Suit" in their Christmas in July show.

Edited by kusankusho

"Live, from Sacramento, the Freelancers!" (Freelancers 1984)

They also vocalized at the beginning of With You I'm Born Again in '84. Bob beat me to it.

We did some vocalizing during our drum solo in '84

'84 Suncoast- a few "yeah's" and "woo's" throughout the show and also some yelling during the protest section.

'84 Madison- some "yeah's" and "woo's" during Ballet in Brass. Someone (timp player maybe?) yells "oh yeah" during the drum break.

'85 Madison- Ballet in Brass (see above)

Edited by skajerk

Vocals were first allowed around 1983

1984 was the first year someone OTHER than the DM could vocalize (so Carl Allison's 83 Freelancer one doesn't count in the thread)

84 Gahfield had a "HEY" in "America" and some undefined vocals and singing in the leadin to "America"

84 BD had a "Huh" in "Latin Implosion," but we took it out after first tour....they sung the mini-gong parts in the 85 version of "Karn Evil 9" (we were going to do it at Stillwater in 84, but it never made it out of the practice arc)

86 Spirit had some scat singing in the opener