1. 1. Which were you?

• Prior or current Military Service
    • Civilian

US Army Sept 2000-Current

Sep 2000 to Aug 2001 Training

Aug 2001 to Current 10th Mountain Division

Deployments

Operation Enduring Freedom IV (Afghanistan) May 2003 to Oct 2003

Operation Enduring Freedom VII 1/3 (We got Extended) (Afghanistan) Jan 2006 to June 2007

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U.S Army 1965-66 - 714th TBROS&DE

National Guard 1967-1971 1049th Trans Co. AMGS

Proud to have had the opportunity to serve.

Joe

I am in active duty with the U.S. Air Force as an Aerospace Propulsion Apprentice. (4 year term)

I'm actually awaiting to get shipped off to boot camp down in good ol' San Antonio Texas, 19 days to go!

Always will love playing, always aspiring to become a better musician, hopefully make my journey back to this great activity we call drum corps!

---

My brother is in the U.S. Navy as a Nuclear Engineer. He played Snare and bass drum in high school band, saw an interest in drum corps but never got around to doing it, he made one of the biggest mistakes of his life, and that was to get married and have a kid, so i can't see him doing the activity in coming years.

Edited by Mike De Franco

1988 - Spirit of Atlanta

DEC 1988, joined the Army in Tifton, GA

JAN 1989, shipped to basic training...

...Germany... with a little side trip to Desert Shield with the 93d Signal Brigade(Patch High School Band)

...Pentagon... Information Systems Command (various bands in No. VA, started judging)

...Fort Bragg, NC... 4th Squadron, 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment (Carolina Crown staff and Lumberton HS Band)

...Deland, FL... Army Recruiter, Jacksonville, FL Recruiting Battalion (Deland HS Band)

...Fort Stewart, GA... Platoon Sergeant, Air Cavalry (Lumberton HS and Tift Co High School)..with a little side trip to Bosnia, Camp Comanche.

...Camp Stanton, Korea... Platoon Sergeant, Air Cavalry (listened to a lot of music and felt sorry for myself)

...Fort Carson, CO... Brigade Operations NCO, Casualty Affairs Officer, Air Cav Platoon Sergeant, Theater Aviation Logistics... Deployed to Iraq

March, 2009... I'm retiring. Taught vis. a few years at Air Force Academy D&B... been judging winter guard with Rocky Mt. Col. Gd., Band with USSBA and CO Band Masters Assoc. Been lucky to be able to stay involved with corps through the years... can't wait to retire and be able to see more shows.

Agree with the concept of not forgetting our roots, just don't see a military presence in the performance aspect of corps... we've gotten a little to far away from "drilling" and displaying the colors.. not a bad thing, just don't see it... Would like to see an influx of kids who've marched corps in the military... would do the Armed Forces some good as we are slowly declining as an institution to a level of performance that lacks basic discipline which most corps members have. It amazes me the number of my younger Soldiers who complain about the smallest challenges... I was "let go" from being a platoon sergeant recently because I didn't "embrace my Soldiers lovingly enough." All the time I was thinking to myself... I treat these "kids"/Soldiers exactly like I'd treat kids on tour... hold to a standard and provide the purpose and direction for them to achieve it... Perhaps I'm a little bit tired, but I don't think so... I think I've just held to standard achievement over the last 20 years and the military hasn't.... again, will be glad to get back to my roots: drum corps.\

always welcome your comments at cavalry37@hotmail.com

Edited by cavalry37

AMMO!

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Tee hee hee hee. You guys crack me up. Actually out at the Utah Test and Training Range we had a Helicopter Air to Ground (HAG) training field in a valley we could look down into that was specifically set up for the testing and training of helicopter ordnance. This field was literally in the middle of nowhere in the Salt Lake Flats. It was EOD's job every Spring to clear that valley of unexploded ordnance (UOD). They were supposed to "line walk" through the small valley which had really tall grass throughout to discover and disarm any UODs that were found. However every year about two to three days before the scheduled clearance the HAG would accidentally catch on fire and burn down :ph34r: which meant EOD never had to do that walk. Convenient, huh? :tongue:

My other favorite Ammo story was going to their headquarters on base for paperwork one day and watching the guys practice making homemade bombs and running them through their x-ray machine for training for the newer guys to try to spot them in the x-ray image. I knew they needed the training, I just never realized how much these guys sat at home thinking of new ways to blow stuff up and get it through the x-ray machine. It was hysterical and a little scary all at the same time. But they were Ammo, so I should have known.

US Army Sept 2000-Current

Sep 2000 to Aug 2001 Training

Aug 2001 to Current 10th Mountain Division

Wow, I had leadership from the 10th Mountain Division coming through Incirlik all the time while I was there from April 01 to July 02. Those guys along with the 3rd Army/ARCENT generals and colonels were some of the most down to earth, low-key guys I ever worked with.

Didn't realize you were an ossifer...what rank?

I was a Captain(O-3) when I got out. I actually tried to stay longer and help out the base after 9-11 because they hadn't received a replacement yet and that base was REALLY busy that whole time afterwards. But because Stop Loss had already been enacted if I stayed just one day over my scheduled separation date, I was stuck there indefinitely and couldn't even be given an estimate of when I might get out. I wasn't ready to play that game, so I went ahead and separated as scheduled.