Cymbal Lines are Officially Dead

but to me, its just a glorified percussion color guard member.

####. You mean to me, I'm missing soooo much money by not taking color guard teaching jobs where I live? Jesus, what am I thinking? Let me get on my phone and make sure all the other peeps I marched with don't miss out on this opportunity! Thanks for the tip! :tongue::ph34r: :ph34r: :sad::huh:

i love cymbal lines. hopefully they live on with the direction(s) drum corps goes in the future. but they live on in wgi, at least.

A lot of corps in Open Class have cymbal lines. Just off the top of my head...

Vanguard Cadets

Blue Devils B

Jersey Surf

Teal Sound

Raiders

Yamato

Spartans

Legends

Velvet Knights

Impulse

Colt Cadets

Cymbal lines aren't dead, and won't be as long as there are cymbal players in DCI. There will always be a place for them somewhere...

Furthermore, there's been a resurgence of plate lines in Div 1. Off the top of my head, these corps march plates:

Pioneer

Mandarins

PC

Spirit

Troopers (I think)

Glassmen

Scouts

Crossmen

Colts (I think)

Vanguard

Plus, how will a keyboard simulate all the various articulations and playing styles of a pair of cymbals?

Amplified pits did not kill the cymbal line...the cymbals in the pit aren't mic'ed. The mics may pick up the cymbal sound near them, but that is usually not intentional.

Quoted for truth. Most corps had lost their cymbal lines long before pit amplification. When was the last time Cavies, BD or PR marched a plate line? For Cadets, it was 1992.

Maybe I'm just not good enough, but I can't split 32's between all 5 drums like a bass line. I think marching bass will be just fine.

I can do that easily Matt, figure it out! :tongue:

Plus, how will a keyboard simulate all the various articulations and playing styles of a pair of cymbals?

By having the keyboard player pick up a pair of hand cymbals.

Quoted for truth. Most corps had lost their cymbal lines long before pit amplification. When was the last time Cavies, BD or PR marched a plate line? For Cadets, it was 1992.

I think a lot of plate lines brgan to be considered dispensible (though not by me) when corps stopped playing swing and jazz. It's not quite that simple, but some corps stopped using them in the late 80s, like Phantom in 87. I'm glad SCV and Madison will never drop them-there's too much visual and aural color to be had in the plate line. I like symphonic cymbals and the suspended sounds in the pit just fine, but a good piatti line on the field kicks azz.

When was the last time Cavies, BD or PR marched a plate line?

Maybe it's me, but I kinda think BD lost out on an opportunity to bring more adsurbity to their show by not having a cymbal line.

Well, it's already been said, but there has been a recent comeback for cymbal lines, which warmes my bones. There's too much bad-assery to be had with a cymbal line to pass up.

Also, timpani will never be able to do what a bass line can do :tongue: . They're quite different.

:ph34r:

I heard by 2015 musicians will be obsolete too! They're just write all the drum corps shows (complete with woodwind sounds, mind you) electronically and they'll just wheel out one gigantic PA system and play a recording for everyone. They'll also have a projector and a big white backdrop for visualizations.