Cymbal Lines are Officially Dead

Interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you may have something there, OP.

Visually, it can't be beat. It would be a national tragedy if Vanguard abandoned their cymbal line. Well, I exaggerate, but almost. But yeah, it does get lost in the sound mix compared to amplified pit cymbals, I agree.

And most corps play follow-the-leader, in terms of the standings, you're right.

Edited by Peel Paint

As other posters have pointed out, there's been something of a resurgence of cymbal lines the past season or two, not a drive to extinction.

The increased membership limit is obviously one reason. The crossover of WGI to DCI is another. Frankly, if anything, amped pits have helped the plate line. Look how many more cymbal lines there are now compared to '99 or so through '03.

I hear what you're saying about the number of finalist corps as opposed to non-finalist corps, but I hardly think that it's a result of amplified pits.

Don't tell that to Santa Clara ... There cymbal line looked like it was very much alive and kicking this year.

It is official. Amplified front ensembles have made cymbal lines obsolete. OVERWHELMINGLY, people in the crowd at Bloomington finals told me that they could hear our (Vanguard) front-line cymbals but NOT the cymbal line!

Of the top 5 corps -> 0 Cymbal Lines

Of the next 6 corps -> 1 Cymbal Line

Of the next 6 corps -> 5 Cymbal Lines

Music directors like Carolina Crown have figured out that they can replace 5 cymbals with 5 contras/bases for a much deeper sound!

I AM SAD... we have gone the way of the glockenspiel and the dodo.

The BASE LINE is next. A nice amplified tympani set can make pretty sweet music.

My comrades in Scouts, Crossmen, Colts, Spirit and P.Crest don't want to hear this, but sometimes, after the rah rah of the season fades away, the truth must be dealt with.

:tongue:

YUP: That is Exactly what needs to be done. Take away a part that offers both sight and sound that the FANS LOVE.

Then put it with the ALREADY over powering pit. Has no one ever told the "Arrangers" that EVERY SONG ever writen does NOT have "Mallet" things in it. I mean listen to any area of music you want. Is there a BIG: Ting,Klong, Ping, sound in it ? I know it adds. BUT THERE IS TOO MUCH.

Edited by OldStyleCorps

EVERY SONG ever writen does NOT have "Mallet" things in it.

Are you kidding?

YUP: That is Exactly what needs to be done. Take away a part that offers both sight and sound that the FANS LOVE.

To resate my earlier post....with almost half of ALL DCI corps having a plate line and with manh of those lines being RECENT additions, the field cymbal parts are hardly being taken away, as there are far more lines out than ther have been in the last few years.