Screamers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look this has probably already been said because I did not take the time to read all of this thread, but there are two kinds of screamers. Those who can just play high notes and those who have complete control. The high note guys can play some real high and real loud notes, however the players who do lip trills and running passages in those upper ranges are the ones that IMHO really blow me away! So don't just play high and loud see if you can play high and soft and still have control.

I think the poster had a question regarding mouthpieces.

My rookie year in The Cadets, I used a Schilke 13A4a that I had opened up to a 25 throat. It was a terrible mouthpiece! But, I still have it for sentimental purposes :)

At Cabs, I used a Laskey 40S*, and a Bob Reeves Dynamic Mass 40ES...both smaller versions of the Schilke 6A4a. Great mouthpieces, btw.

Since 2006, and for the foreseeable future, I've been using a Monette BL4S6 Prana (#23 throat). It's the best mouthpiece I have ever played! It's a bit smaller than a Schilke 6A4a, but has a much larger throat and backbore. I can play softer and louder on this mouthpiece, than on any other I have played. The pitch is amazing, and the sound palette is quite vast. I've played everything from ballads to big band on it. It also has taken me a couple years to really learn how to play it correctly, such that consistency and control are never an issue. I can't see myself looking at other mouthpiece brands in the future.

As far as actually playing high notes, it has very little to do with raw strength. It's not like weight lifting...it's more like learning how to ride a unicycle and juggle at the same time. You'll hear a ton of people preach the "it's all air!" mantra, but in actuality, the amount of air that moves through the instrument diminishes the higher you go, even at extreme volume levels. Tons of pressure is never good, and try to avoid playing the instrument like it's a clarinet (extreme downward angle). Don't try to "blow" the trumpet; instead, think of small, intense air going past the tip of the tongue, through the lips, and into the mouthpiece. Keep all the lip material inside the mouthpiece RELAXED...don't "bite". Don't curl the lips. The more relaxed your chops, the louder you will play (this is also how you achieve "all day chops"). If you feel like your head is going to explode, you get dizzy, or experience pain...you are using way too much tension! Remember...the pros make it look easy, because they make it easy. They know that it only takes a little bit of tension, and a lot of relaxation, all in the right places. Watch (don't just listen) guys like Wayne Bergeron and Eric Miyashiro...they have it figured out.

As far as actually playing high notes, it has very little to do with raw strength. It's not like weight lifting...it's more like learning how to ride a unicycle and juggle at the same time. You'll hear a ton of people preach the "it's all air!" mantra, but in actuality, the amount of air that moves through the instrument diminishes the higher you go, even at extreme volume levels. Tons of pressure is never good, and try to avoid playing the instrument like it's a clarinet (extreme downward angle). Don't try to "blow" the trumpet; instead, think of small, intense air going past the tip of the tongue, through the lips, and into the mouthpiece. Keep all the lip material inside the mouthpiece RELAXED...don't "bite". Don't curl the lips. The more relaxed your chops, the louder you will play (this is also how you achieve "all day chops"). If you feel like your head is going to explode, you get dizzy, or experience pain...you are using way too much tension! Remember...the pros make it look easy, because they make it easy. They know that it only takes a little bit of tension, and a lot of relaxation, all in the right places. Watch (don't just listen) guys like Wayne Bergeron and Eric Miyashiro...they have it figured out.

A band director I worked with back in the 70's had his Masters in trumpet performance from Julliard. He had amazing technique and tone, but he was not able to play real high...and he played a lot of big band and club gigs where that was needed. He was studying with some top pro out of NYC (forget who), and what he used to do is suspend his trumpet in a doorway with string and play long open tones without ever using his hands to touch the horn...as a way to NOT use pressure.

The "trumpet from a string" technique is a great teaching tool. Though extremely difficult to master, the benefits of learning to play with very little mouthpiece pressure are massive. Learning to play with light pressure ensures several things: improved range, improved sound, and improved flexibility. Now, we will all use pressure in our playing careers...even the greats do (have). But, the idea is that the pressure used is minimal, and only constructive.

we had a screamer in 1985. She woke the whole bus up one night.

Well put.

Certain people are PHYSICALLY unable to play high notes. Some people think they can play trumpet but they find their lips are suited for trombone or something.

If you can't scream like the guy from BD '04 then don't sweat it. You could probably still work on playing lead part.

1) Air....lots of it. Don't rely on pressure so much.

2) Support from core muscles and firm up the corners of the mouth!

3) A good mouthpiece. Obviously you don't want a large mouthpiece. There is some sense in getting a smaller mouthpiece. You tend to sacrifice certain things in your playing depending on the size of the piece.

4) Practice arpeggios up into the higher range.

It really frustrates me to see things like this on the forums. Im going to tell you right now that ANYONE with the right amount of motivation and instruction can learn to play killer lead parts. This whole thing about " you either have it or you dont" is messed up. Now, i understand where youre coming from when you say those sorts of things to these kids, but i know from personal experience that if I can do it anyone can.

I was a player who used the pinky ring hook for my octave key. I played lead in Div1 . It got to the point at the end of the seasons where i would have slight scarring on my upper lip. I knew that this wasnt the way to play trumpet. I had no endurance and high range for only a small amount of time. I decided to find out how to play the trumpet, in all ranges, with ease. I got on the internet and started talking to people. I got on trumpetherald.com and saw a thread called "the balanced Embouchure". The place changed my life. After getting this guys book, within 3 sessions of practice, i could play a C above the staff with my trumpet tied to a string with out any pressure. Now, im not advocating that this will be possible for you that quickly, however this guy knows what hes talking about, and i think he can get you where you need to be.

This is the Link to the teachers page : ( you can purchase his book here)

http://trumpetteacher.net/welcome.html

This is the link to the support forum where he, and others on his system, can answer all your questions:

http://trumpetherald.com/forum/viewforum.p...afc0d9e498d6dcb

Now, I understand that there are many many critics out there who bash this guy into the dirt, but, i know it worked wonders for me, and I hope it can do the same for you, and any other teacher out there looking to enlighten his or her students.

BD

Also, just to let you know, playing in the upper register has really nothing to do with the type of mouthpiece you are using, it has everything to do with lip compression and the size of your aperture. People always say " stay relaxed, blow fast air, tighten that diaphragm".. All that is true to some extent, but you havta train your face how to handle the air, and train your lips to move in the right direction, with the correct compression. Take a look at that place, i dont think youll be unhappy.

PS Dont let anyone tell you that trumpet playing ( or lead playing) is soley because of natural ability, and some people arent cut out for it. BS!

Screamers? I like BD in my era: 79-80. Great screamers both years.