• Madison Scouts
    • Mandarins
    • Pacific Crest
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Pioneer
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Spirit
    • Troopers

Back in the day (late 60s early 70s) many drill designers used the back stands as a sort of natural reverberation device. We did, The Cadets and Troopers and even the Cavaliers - it was really a clever way to beef up your sound by turning your backs to the audience pump up the volume a bit and have it come back at you at nearly twice the sound.

Puppet

wouldn't it be about half as loud?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wouldn't it be about half as loud?

Oddly, no. Most of the big stadiums at the big shows like the Danny Thomas Invitational, The CYO Nationals, etc. didn't 't have stands that went down to the field. There's a six foot tall usually cement wall - we also didn't point our horns into the sky - I mean the top row of the stands (only soloists did that) anyway hard surfaces like that always reflect sound not absorb it. it's a weird phenomenon but I guess that's why studios have all that foam on the walls. Or maybe I'm just full of it.

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

alright so i didnt say phantom or crown or coats or scouts were out of tune or played bad, im just saying volume means nothing if you cant control it...

and every show i saw the corps could control it.

and yea i failed on the 10%more thing, but hey it was just a thought.

It's pretty easy to have a loud resonant sound when the hornline is always up front, close together, and playing open major chords for impacts.

yeah...close together like in that big long curvy line at their first impact (all major chords OF COURSE), and that big shape at the end of the barber of seville, and a company front, and those arcs in 1812...

Edited by MelloUno

It's pretty easy to have a loud resonant sound when the hornline is always up front, close together, and playing open major chords for impacts.

just because a corps doesn't get louder as the move back, doesn't mean that they can't. I'm sure if that had been put in the show, Crown's hornline would have delivered all that and a bag of chips