What would it take to get Pioneer from last place in World Class?

I just wanted to ask this one again because I think it got buried. Would this be something that could potentially help or hurt a corps?

The current DCI rules would not allow for this. A Corps Director can only withhold a release to a member for dues owed in a past season. You cannot hold a member for a current season until they have marched your first show. You definitely cannot hold a member for future dues.

Thus, theoretically a Corps director who needs to fill a spot can call up any one of your members anytime before your first show and recruit them right out of your corps. This rule change was passed in September 2006 (if I remember correctly) by the member corps. This new rule replaced the March 1 deadline that many people remember.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I am almost thinking that it has run its course anyway.

DA

Yeah I am almost thinking that it has run its course anyway.

DA

Well then, to sneak in before the close-

Please let us know which, if any of these suggestions will be tried, and how well they worked or did not work.

I really think Pioneer might be in a good position for 09, because you have quite a bit more local membership than many WC corps, as cost of transportation and other financial issues could make for rough going for some other corps. And to not place last in WC means at least other corps must finish lower than Pioneer.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

In all fairness, the corps that we used to have a shot at beating, mostly are now inactive.

Donny

Donny -

You have to be given a lot of credit for trying to pull Pioneer up by the bootstraps. I was very impressed with your openness and enthusiasm prior to the beginning of the 2008 season.

As you probably have a great appreciation for, there is so much that goes into running a corps that there probably isn't one special single item that's going to turn things around. That's why my previous post brought up the corps attitude. If the corps leadership as a whole decides that semis are a priority, then the necessary things will be done to make it happen. As long as other things are a higher priority, stated or unstated, then it won't happen--it takes too much work in too many areas for one person. And as I said in my previous post, that isn't necessarily a bad thing--it's just a matter of priorities.

I suspect that even though you haven't stated it, if you could choose between 18th place and a full, healthy corps, you might pick the full corps (which would go a long way towards reaching 18th place or higher). A huge problem is that there are a lot of potential members who turn their nose up at 15th place corps or even 10th place corps, let alone 20th place ones. A disadvantage to the national recruiting model is that while a kid might join a corps down the block out of loyalty or convenience, there's a low incentive to traveling halfway across the country to be part of a bottom tier organization (measured by finals placement).

That's why I really like the suggestions to go for an unconventional show. If Pioneer could get a reputation for doing something fun and exciting, there would be a reason for potential members to choose Pioneer over other higher-ranking corps. A real recruiting tool, in other words--besides just brute force leg work. Going unconventional (not necessarily gimmicky) might not allow Pio to rise to finals, but it certainly wouldn't keep Pio out of semis.

A publicity blitz advertising that Pioneer's mission is to provide prep for joining higher ranking corps, and maybe guaranteeing placement in one, might work to raise the membership too, but in either case, it comes down to the corps' attitude about how to move forward. The sometimes hard to face reality about almost any aspect of life is that if you're not moving forward, you're probably going backwards.

That's why I really like the suggestions to go for an unconventional show. If Pioneer could get a reputation for doing something fun and exciting, there would be a reason for potential members to choose Pioneer over other higher-ranking corps.

You know - that's how we used to program shows with Les Étoiles - from the rotating garbage can drums complete with rifle exchanges to the barfing unit, to having scaffolding on the field - we just always wanted to bring something fresh to the table that would wow the crowd no matter how small we were - and it worked really well.

Later,

Mike

You know - that's how we used to program shows with Les Étoiles - from the rotating garbage can drums complete with rifle exchanges to the barfing unit, to having scaffolding on the field - we just always wanted to bring something fresh to the table that would wow the crowd no matter how small we were - and it worked really well.

Later,

Mike

If the Blue Stars can put the Tour de France on the field, maybe Pioneer can put a hurling match on the field. Nothing could be more Irish than that! Plus with hurling, a few more deaths on the field might be tallied up, always good for extra points on finals night.

Warning, lyrics may be a bit salty for sensitive drum corps ears:

I think what Donny is doing is great! Asking the fans, what a novel idea! I hope that recruiting goes well over the summer and if I have a couple kids interested in marching juniors I will lead them Pioneer's way. I also have a loyalty to two DCA corps (one being here in FL) but if a young adult wants a good DCI experience I will send them to Milwaukee.