What is your favorite "under-rated" show?

ajlemm

Take that definition how ever you like, whether you felt it should have finished higher, it was underhyped, underrated, or under-appreciated, but my question is about which show after further review have you found that you find yourself surprisingly listening to over and over?

For me it's two 4th place shows. I won't debate either of the placings. I just have found that I love these shows more now than I did when they were first played:

2007 Phantom Regiment (On Air)

I feel like it has really taken me about a year to "get it". I find that I listen to this show more and it has steadily moved up my listening chart. It is both ethereal and powerful. Maybe it is because I am listening to it and not watching it. Who knows?

and

2006 Bluecoats (Connexus)

This show really surprised me when it first came out. It was one of the first APD's I bought in 2006. I saw them at Finals and was blown away. This show was ALL Bluecoats. I hope they can do something again in this or "Caravan" vein. There was something about those two years that I found special. Maybe it was the way they mixed in untraditional sounds like steel drums in 06 and the drumspeak in 05. The show in 06 had great flow, cohesiveness and built all the way to the end. I really enjoyed it and it's one of my favorite shows to listen to now.

I loved On Air.......

I will say 2001 Blue Knights (Blue Toons) A different (Jazzy) show from them but a Great hornline. I would have liked to see them experiment with jazz a bit more.....it suited them well

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'04 Crown (minus the whole "poetry jam")

'03 Phantom (doesn't get the recognition it deserves, IMO)

Wanna say 88 (?) Bluecoats? I forget the year. They played 'Sing Sing Sing' the year I'm thinking of

I can't really think of that many "underrated" shows. Any DCI show is something special, IMO

(Oh, and 07 Madison)

Edited by snax08

It's simple for me... every single Phantom Regiment show

Specifically?

77, 78, 82, 83, 89, 90, 92, 93, 96, 97

On top of those:

Bridgemen at all

VK at all

Scouts 99, Crown 06, Bluecoats 89 / 92, and one of my favorites- SCV 92.

I'm going to have to say drum corps is underrated in general.. if you're not top 3 you're nothing? I've been bored with the top 3 shows before but loved some of the lower ones before..

BD 2005.

(don't hate me.)

Phew I thought I would be the only one! Anyway here goes...

-BD 2008 and Cadets 2007 (eh some might not but I consider them underrated, and believe each one should have won)

-Phantom 2005 Rhapsody and 2007 On Air (I thought BOTH productions were actually superior to the 06 Faust hype-fest of a show, and I also thought the hornline was of higher quality both of these years. anyone agree? i would love if phantom branched out again with a show like 05, so far its been my favorite show of their's this decade)

-BD and Crown 05

and finally... Bluecoats 2004 :inlove:

Birds of Prey

Freaks & Geeks

Firefly

Oh, drum corps?

'77 Garfield.

'04 Crown (minus the whole "poetry jam")

'03 Phantom (doesn't get the recognition it deserves, IMO)

Wanna say 88 (?) Bluecoats? I forget the year. They played 'Sing Sing Sing' the year I'm thinking of

I can't really think of that many "underrated" shows. Any DCI show is something special, IMO

(Oh, and 07 Madison)

Phantom 2003 doesnt get recognition?!?!?

Just about every show from 2006 deserves more recognition than it gets. That was a great season, one that actually seems to get better with age. Outside of the title contenders, Bluecoats, Crown and BK all had really amazing shows that year.