2008 Regiment Champion Rings

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As an alum that never won, I was initially thrilled to see the ring. However, I had no part of the show in the 80's or now.

I do have my Kingsmen Alumni Corps ring that I wear proudly, (even though I wasn't a "Kingsmen Alum") and explain it every chance I get.

How does one explain this ring? "Oh yeah, this corps I like, won their very own championship, so I bought this ring." The person they're talking to will hear the word "corps" then tune out completely.

Ann alumni ring would have been nice though!

If I bought one, which I'm not planning on doing, it would be a keep sake to put with other drum corps souvies. I would rarely, if ever, wear it and if I did I'd make sure it was for an appropriate occaision and not mislead anyone that I was a member of the corps.

Hey Everybody,

Let me put to rest some thoughts and concerns about the Phantom Regiment Phan COMMEMORATIVE rings. I designed the MEMBER CHAMPIONSHIP ring and the FAN COMMEMORATIVE ring for Phantom Regiment and have the manufacturer of the 2007 Super Bowl rings making them for the corps. In the past I have designed rings for the last two Blue Devil championships, along with other numerous projects for all sorts of activities, including professional sports teams and their league offices.

So let start with a comparison between the two rings:

MEMBER CHAMPIONSHIP RING

- XL championship sized ring

- Pantone Matching System PMS032 red stone - RUBY

- Bezel cut - horizontal across the knuckle

- Member name on Shank 1

- Member section on Shank 2

- This is an XL large ring that a NCAA or Minor League sports team would have for its players, coaches and staff

- It is noticeably large on first view and is a significantly heavier ring.

FAN COMMEMORATIVE RING

- Scholastic or Collegiate in size

- Synthetic Onyx stone

- Oval cut bezel - oval and vertical on the knuckle

- Spartacus on Shank 1 (not personalized)

- Phantom Regiment (two lines) on Shank 2 (not personalized)

- This is a college/high school size ring

- It is noticeably smaller than the champ ring.

I have worked with a few professional sports teams that have won championships and they almost all put an affinity ring program together for their fans. The Patriots, Rams, Broncos, Ravens and Steelers are a few that come to mind that have done this. The affinity rings for the fans are either an inferior copy ("fugazi" for my east coast friends) of the estimated $18000.00 ring that the players and coaches wear.... OR ... a different design that does not cost nearly as much (usually in the $400 to $2000 range).

This Regiment commemorative ring is for the fan, super fan, supporter, donor, drum corps collector, parent, grand parent, band director or even somebody that has helped a member pay their tuition to the corps as a memory of the Phantom Regiment's historic and emotional victory at the 2008 DCI World Championships.

Will people wear this ring? I hope so. Will most have it as a keepsake in their office like the ones I have (and I won a few too)? Of course!

Will somebody say they marched this year with the Regiment somewhere down the road? I hope NOT, but they don't need a ring to do that and we all will know the difference in the ring when they say they did.

Alumni Ring? Yes, I am in discussion with the Phantom Regiment about this subject. More to follow at a later date.

I hope this answers any/ all of your questions.

Happy drum corps off-season!

:withstupid:

IF YOU HAVE A MARCHING BAND, DRUM CORPS, INDOOR PERCUSSION, WINTER GUARD OR ANY OTHER CHAMPIONSHIP TO CELEBRATE AND DESIRE A RING, PLEASE CONTACT ME.

Edited by njthundrrd

Hey njthundrrd, great post. The things you learn on here... and, I am glad Regiment is considering an alumni ring. I think every corps should have something like that for their members, and former members.

I would buy a ring if if meant financially supporting the corps, but I would never wear it. I don't even like jewlery, but if it helps raise funds why not? The money has to come from somewhere.

I say kudos to Phantom for exploiting a market that has previously gone untapped in drum corps. If someone wants to shell out $250 or so for a ring that commemorates their favorite show/corps/family member/friend's accomplishment, who cares? There is obviously some market for this type of thing, and I doubt it costs Phantom much, if any, money. With this Championship win, Phantom seems to be going out of their way to make fans happy with Championship gear, so good for them.

I say kudos to Phantom for exploiting a market that has previously gone untapped in drum corps. If someone wants to shell out $250 or so for a ring that commemorates their favorite show/corps/family member/friend's accomplishment, who cares? There is obviously some market for this type of thing, and I doubt it costs Phantom much, if any, money. With this Championship win, Phantom seems to be going out of their way to make fans happy with Championship gear, so good for them.

!!!!! AMEN !!!!!

Edited by PRPhan4ever

Okay, let me throw this one out ... I think there's a way to provide a great memento/keepsake for the phans, that meets the financial goals of the ring, without sacrificing the integrity of any sacred DCI artifacts.

How about a Phantom Regiment 2008 DCI World Championship Commemorative Dagger?

It's a letter opener, so practical. It captures the "attitude" that was so very much of the show's appeal, is edgy considering the symbolism with regard to the show, and will be controversial without the kind of negativity the ring is getting.

Have it done with a pewter handle and nice blade, engraved and with Phantom Chevrons and a Laurel wreath, charge about the same amount as for the ring and still maintain a profit margin of at least 100% ... Because the idea is to raise a lot of money for the corps.

I'd buy that, and be happy to have it sitting on the mantle of my fireplace.

Edited by DCIHasBeen